Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a gearhead at hear but isurance is to high for a Mustang GT so i'm savn up for a TC. Now to my question!

Which one is better the ZPI or Dezod turbo? I've looked at them both and can't decide which one to go with.

ZPI Turbo 0($2,670) 230whp at 6psi. the horsepower is ok but i will probably want to upgrade really soon after i get it. How easy would it be to increase the boost on the EVO III GT Big 16g, and what is the limit on it?
http://www.zeropointindustries.net

Dezod S1 Turbo($3,975) 244 wheel HP & 255 wheel TQ at 8.5psi. about 14 more horses and comes with a Greddy Pressure sensor, Pretuned GReddy E-manage. when you look at the dynos on this one, it has a really high torque curve. I'm not sure on how good their Turbonetics Dezod Spec'd T3/T4 Turbo is, but of course thats why i'm writing this.
http://www.dezodmotorsports.com/pd_dezod_m...ports_stage.cfm

I would like to know which kit would be the easiest to install, best one to upgrade, the most reliable one, and which turbo has the least turbo lag. I havn't had the joy of installing one before so i'm just reading up on it as much as i can.
(i got a lead foot too.)

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Is your tC your only transportation?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok then, which turbo is the safest to run with stock engine components, aftermarket exhaust, maybe a fuel upgrade. I guess what i'm tryn to say is, what are the components i have to upgrade to make a turbo reliable. the TRD Supercharger just doesn't wet my wistle enough.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
There are no reliable turbo solutions for the tC. They all have question marks about reliability since no one has run one for any significant length of time yet. If this is your only transportation, you would be foolish at best to turbo it. At least the supercharger has a warranty and you won't be walking if something goes wrong.

With the turbo kits there are no warranties expressed or implied that will rebuild your engine if you blow it up. They only warrant the parts in the kit to be free of defects. Even if there is a defective part in the kit, if you engine fails because the part was defective, the kit manufacturer will not repair your engine to its original condition, only repair or replace the piece that failed.

Unless you can afford to walk, you would be very wise to install a supercharger and call it a day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if the turbos arn't certified to be reliable, then should i just wait 6 months to a year and read reviews. Also the TRD Supercharger doesn't quench my thirst for power. are their anyways to increase the psi of the TRD SC to crank out 230whp. Also, I would like to know if anybody else knows about any other companies developing Superchargers for the TC and when they will be coming out.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If you have an overwhelming thirst for power, then the tC probably shouldn't be your first choice.

There are only a few turbos on the market for this car and all have issues, as it's been said. The supercharger from TRD has a pretty little warranty that will keep you happy, your car happy, and your parents doubly happy.

You're getting a tC from the 'rents and I'm sure your parents would love to help you with the Supercharger as well. If I were you, I would bide my time and save my money and quench my thirst for power on an STI or even an EVO <Insert Roman Numeral Here>

·
Registered
868 Posts
Must be nice not to have to pay for a $20,000 car yourself.

At anyrate, why not just shoot higher and tell your parents that you want a faster car? If they're willing to give you $20,000, maybe squeeze another $5 or $10k out of them and look at an RSX-S, WRX STI, RX8, TT, SRT-4, 350Z? No need to turbo/supercharge those cars. They'll kill you fast enough as is

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 20 2006, 08:32 PM
There are no reliable turbo solutions for the tC. They all have question marks about reliability since no one has run one for any significant length of time yet. If this is your only transportation, you would be foolish at best to turbo it. At least the supercharger has a warranty and you won't be walking if something goes wrong.

With the turbo kits there are no warranties expressed or implied that will rebuild your engine if you blow it up. They only warrant the parts in the kit to be free of defects. Even if there is a defective part in the kit, if you engine fails because the part was defective, the kit manufacturer will not repair your engine to its original condition, only repair or replace the piece that failed.

Unless you can afford to walk, you would be very wise to install a supercharger and call it a day.
Would you say it's only a matter of time before the turbo alternative becomes more reliable, Lance, or are the stock tC components just unable to handle boost too well?

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you want a fast car, the tC isnt the way to go...best bang for the buck Id say is RSX-S i/h/e and hondata....or else Celica GT-s Power F/C....Both are proven reliable....and are capable of high 13's-low 14's

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Or get a decent used NA Supra for $12k and turbo it with the Boost Logic kit and have a 11-12 second cars for a lot less.

Just depends on what you want. If you really want fast the tC isn't a good place to start.

Pharoh - it's not the pieces and parts, it's the engine management that's the real problem. Getting it to work with turn key reliability - like OEM - will never happen because no one can afford the time and effort it takes to make it that rock solid.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Oh hey, I forgot to mention before.. by "quite a few" miles, it turns out it's in the area of 50k miles. I had thought they were pushing 100k as I figured that's "quite a few" for non-big time aftermarket companies. Oh well!

Also, since I'm already off topic, I'm having trouble getting Golden Eagle to say anything about hydrostatic test results. When I get them from Golden Eagle I'll update everyone. Or you guys can ask them yourselves but I already asked once so I'll do it again and save all of you the trouble.

The tC is a perfect platform for a quick car all save the ECU. The ZPI stage 0 doing 6 psi has worked for about four months or so for an auto owner. He hasn't had any problems yet. That'll probably change in a few more months or years. We'll see.

ECU aside (as soon as someone can get something that the ECU doesn't try to fight - such as Unichip! - it should be fine) the 2AZ in the tC is made to be a moderate powerplant with unusually strong ductile iron sleeves and forged (albeit thin) connecting rods as well as ceramic coated pistons (although the rings are placed high and will shatter under too much static compression.. I think that's the right term.. in any case, they broke somewhere between 10 and 14 psi from a 16G turbo.) The head also flows pretty well for a fuel economy head. The key is moderate power. Don't expect to kill some of those 8 second B18s but you can expect to at the very least, hang with some 4G63s with a low stage turbo.

BTW, get the supercharger.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Jan 20 2006, 09:31 PM
Must be nice not to have to pay for a $20,000 car yourself. 

At anyrate, why not just shoot higher and tell your parents that you want a faster car?  If they're willing to give you $20,000, maybe squeeze another $5 or $10k out of them and look at an RSX-S, WRX STI, RX8, TT, SRT-4, 350Z?  No need to turbo/supercharge those cars.  They'll kill you fast enough as is
Insurance purposes i bet think of that if his parents are geting him a car the tC insurance isnt all that high.

I also dont think the SC is good enough for the money. But it does give some good numbers. I think ill still stick with the turbo. If the SC can put boost into the engine then guess what the turbo can too. I bet if you get the ECU flash that is supose to go with the SC and do it for a Turbo i bet it would work prety good just a guess. But what do I know.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would go with the ZPI Stage 0 turbo. That is really cheap, for 230 WHP. That is almost a 90HP gain to the wheels. You can probably beat stock Mustangs with that turbo. If you can also gain more horsepower with it by adding, Intercooler, Full Exhaust, Headers, and S-pipe. Also, you shouldn't have to build up your engine with this turbo. I will most likely will be getting one soon. Do you think I can talk ZPI down more on this turbo? I have heard of people doing it with turbos before.

The ZPI Stage 0 kit give you 264.5 HP at the engine. The kit is only $25.55, per 1 HP to the engine. $2670/104.5HP Gain to the engine = $25.55.

The TRD Supercharger is $55.5, per 1 HP Gain to the engine. TRD Supercharger gives you 218 HP to the engine. $3,250/58.5HP Gain to the engin = $55.5.

This is based on a 15% lose of HP from the engine to the wheels. At least, that is the % loss for Mustangs. The TC should be close to that percentage loss.

Here is the info from www.zeropointindustries.net. Might be some Newbie's that do not know what we are talking about.

ZPIracing Stage 0 Turbo Kit
[ZPI-1007] $2,820.00 $2,670.00

Click to enlarge
ZPIracing Scion tC turbo kits: Stage 0

230whp (doubling stock power output)
6 psi
EVO III GT Big 16g
Tial Wastegate (silver)
Stainless charge piping
4 ply couplers
Stainless Manifold
Pre tapped Oil pan
All fuel and timing tuning already complete
Comes with new oil pan making it a true bolt on kit
Polished piping
MSRP: 2820.00
The Stage 0 kit is the perfect kit for the guy/gal looking for more power without affecting the reliability of their new Scion tC. This is the most popular kit we offer; with very impressive pricing and all the guess work removed this can be installed by yourself over a weekend in your garage. With the kit being engineered to be installed by the end user it allows you to save money on install rates and apply that to more parts to make your Scion more enjoyable.

This kit will work the automatic transmission. We will have upgraded transmission parts available soon.

***This kit can cause a CEL that is not correctable with our 02 sim***

We also recommend the use of boost, egt, and wideband o2 gauges for monitoring purposes.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The ZPI Stage 0 kit give you 264.5 HP at the engine. The kit is only $25.55, per 1 HP to the engine. $2670/104.5HP Gain to the engine = $25.55.

The TRD Supercharger is $55.5, per 1 HP Gain to the engine. TRD Supercharger gives you 218 HP to the engine. $3,250/58.5HP Gain to the engin = $55.5.[/b]
And while the folks at ZPI would be more than willing to replace any parts of their turbo should they malfunction and blow up your car, they won't bat an eye at the car
Whereas TRD is under a nice juicy warranty and if anything goes wrong, you've got a dealership standing by to make it all better without that whole 'wallet-rape' thing.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Thanks mattvs. You obviously get it.

BTW, I'll be happy to race anyone with any tC that can be driven on the street after I get my Supra back together. I'll have less money in it by the time all costs are correctly amortized, and the car hasn't had any warranty for some years, so whatever happens, happens, and I'll pay to fix it. Not only that, but I'll be driving either a tC or an IS350 while the Supra is down (as it is right now). That's the difference between being truly able to afford a fast car and not being able to afford a fast car. And yes, I will toast any ZPI stage 0 or stage 1 and STILL pass CA smog.

Start with something already fast, then make it faster. Starting with something slow means you will always be playing catch up. You'll also be looking at that Mustang and saying, "Oh sh1t, it's a Cobra, I better leave this one alone..."

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.