Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of either geting the high compression for all motor. But then again low compression sounds good to for that turbo that might come along one day. What do you guys think b4 I spend 600 bucks on something that would be stupid.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
You don't buy low compression pistons for the "someday" turbo. You buy them when you are ready to run high boost, and they are the final touch to the hard part purchase.

Before you spend any money, you need to sit down and figure out what you want to achieve, what you can afford to achieve, and what you are willing to live with. Then buy parts to achieve those goals. You need the goals before you buy the parts...

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 10 2005, 01:01 AM
You don't buy low compression pistons for the "someday" turbo. You buy them when you are ready to run high boost, and they are the final touch to the hard part purchase.

Before you spend any money, you need to sit down and figure out what you want to achieve, what you can afford to achieve, and what you are willing to live with. Then buy parts to achieve those goals. You need the goals before you buy the parts...
Oh I have the goals. And I know what I can afford. But I wasn't going to buy them before I had the turbo and every thing else that I need. I am not stupid. Also do you know what kind of turbo came on a 1991 Toyota MR2 if so please let me know cause i might be able to get my hands on one
. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think what Lo Bux was really trying to say is that if you put the pistons in before you get the turbo, your car is gonna be such a dawg w/ such low compression. If you do f/i internals, you need to put the turbo/supercharger on at the same time. I dont remember the stock turbo on the MR2, Im drawing a blank

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
CT-20B. Not a great choice, but workable, maybe. It's hard to say because Toyota doesn't publish compressor maps for their OEM turbos. Again, you make a plan first. Then pick your turbo. If you choose a turbo because it's a cheap thing to acquire, you may be severely disappointed with the results. You'd be far better off to figure out which turbo will provide the boost you want over the range of rpm you need, then go shopping.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was only thinking the MR2 turbo because it came on a toyota motor so i figured well it might be workable with other toyota motors. I asked the question because i want to figure out the turbo that will produce what i want. Also sorry if i came across like a dick sometimes i over react my bad Lo Bux

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The CT line of turbos never really made anything GREAT.

A lot of people did, however, have success with ceramic blade upgrades and port and polish jobs. They made pretty good numbers in the end but past that end, they could have saved up money for a turbo that performed almost as well without the upgrades.

If you're going to do a custom turbo, perhaps you should look at the Mitsubishi turbos.. I'm sure there's at least one more reason, other than emissions, that Toyota doesn't make turbos anymore. If not a Mitsu turbo than there's the T3/4 that's the default answer for anyone working with imports (it's like the Honda of turbos now.. ) and then Garret's GT turbos.

For the tC's RPM range, I think that maybe the 20G is the best?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.