Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using TRD filters $10+ each. Now that the engine is completely broken in I'm thinking of switching to the cheap $3.37 (walmart) Fram filters, at the next oil change at 15,000 miles.

Anyone know if there is a big difference between a "premium" filter and a cheapie? How are Fram oil filters in general? Anyone ever have any issues with them?

I change my oil often, so the difference in cost is substantial over a year or two.

My driving style is lots of highway miles at 75 mph, nothing hard on the engine. I'll also be switching to synthetic Mobile One and change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Although your switching to an oil that lasts 5k miles those filter will last about 2.5-3k max nothing wrong with spending a little extra to keep your car like new

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Amsoil or Mobil 1. They are specifically designed for synthetics and provide better basic filtration. Second choice, Purolator Pure One.

Google oil filters. There are lots of sites discussing the poor design and poor quality of the base model Fram filters. I would not run them on something I planned to keep for awhile.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Buy toyota filters in bulk from Ken - I'm sure he can get you a very good price on the box...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wow. I read a couple of those studies and will never use a fram filter again as long as I live.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No more fram for me, either. Looks like Purolater makes some quality stuff.

Who knew there would be that big of a difference in something as common as an oil filter???

late

·
Registered
56 Posts
i use K&N filter and Amsoil sythetic. its the best combination i think. its kinda expensive tho. Amsoil is like 9 bucks a quart. But i don't mind the little extra money to make my car last longer.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
This is best. These guys agree, and they don't sell oil, they just test it.

How long do you want to go between oil changes?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i agree. i have that on my camry. i think its worth the money. and as far as oil filters go, K&N is the best. there was this one site where some guy bought a bunch of oil filters, cut them apart to see which one is good. i forgot the page tho. he did a bunch like toyota filters, fram, hondas, and a lot of others. came out that K&N is the one of the best. and for oil, Amsoil is one of the best too. can't go wrong with these.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
All oil filters are supposed to be, some are inherently better than others.

Now I'm thinking about the bypass filter and how much I'd save in service costs and downtime compared to just regular oil changes. Hmmm. Of course service is just a good excuse to visit Mori and D. If I go by myself, I can even hang out for awhile if there aren't any buying customers. Decisions, decisions....

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
bypass filters.... more data via google is necessary.

you really don't need an excuse to come hang out lance. btw, how is the Flint lookin (rear bumper app.)? how is karen liking it?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Tough one. A HEPA filter though (at least for the lab hoods...hehe) filter down to 5 microns in size. We have regular mask filters that do 20 microns. All depends on what you want.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty@Feb 19 2005, 08:47 PM
you really don't need an excuse to come hang out lance. btw, how is the Flint lookin (rear bumper app.)? how is karen liking it?

She likes it alot, but doesn't want to appear too excited about it. Her dream car is still an MB S class. She'll have to wait a couple years for that.

I think the car looks great, it drives just fine. She actually let me drive it the other day. Now that I can drive stick or auto back-to-back, I can say they both feel strong. I think it would be possible for a lazy stick driver to get his ass handed to him by the auto.

Forgot to mention one other thing...they dropped the rate to 5.0 through TFS. Your buddy really hooked me up. Of course it cost me a worn out Camry, but hey, it's all good.

Now, back to the original oil filter thread...

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
that deal seemed like a win win situation.

I was waiting for sombody else to mention how the auto is more than it seemed.

and I am glad she likes her car. we all have dream cars...

(63 lincoln cont.)

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I thought so too. News arrived in the mail this week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.