Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have searched and looked at various forums for this and have gotten mixed results. Some say Yokos are better, some say both suck. I need a simple answer on which is better. I don't want to buy a new car and have to put out for new tires right away. Also If both really suck what are the quickest, cheapest, best tires to replace them with. I live in WI so I am worried about snow. I'm not to into performance, I just don't want to slide on ice in front of a semi and get killed. Thx for your help all!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about snow? does it matter, should i just get what ever the dealer gives me and not worry about asking him for a particular kind? (I'm prob buying on saturday and I want to know)

·
Premium Member
16,847 Posts
I seriously doubt you could even ask the dealer specifically for the Yoko's or the Potenzas. You get what the car comes with.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Both should be ok in the snow but still there not snow tires. They are mulit season tires that do everything (snow,dry,wet) ok but none excellent. If you need somthing like that go with a snow tire. I recomend the bizzark tire for that. Where I live it doesn't snow, and I like fast turns so I go with a ultra high performance summer tire. You might want somthing eles so look at the websites above to find the right tire for you.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
OEM tires on the TT Supra: Michelin Pilot SX MXX3. EXCELLENT tires. Every other car I have owned came with sketchy tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you think you will own the car long enough to need a second set of tires, do the smart thing from the start and get 1 set of summers and one set of winters. All season tires are a compromise - do nothing very well (except maybe treadwear / ride / noise). If you trade your tires new, you can get a nominal trade in value. The only thing you're out is for the second set of wheels - which can be resold. Personally I like ES100 (18's) for summer and Blizzak's (16's) for winter.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
We don't all live in the snow belt. I run summer tires all year without issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jul 14 2005, 08:41 PM
We don't all live in the snow belt. I run summer tires all year without issue.
Correct. My comments implied snow in winter. In the case of summer tires year round, still need to buy a new set as OEM's are unacceptable AS compromise. This situation is reason for a set of original tC wheels AND tires fetching barely $400 on Ebay right now.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Agreed. That's why I have 17 x 8.5 rims and 245/40/17 Toyo Proxes. Works beautifully.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by phungy@Jul 13 2005, 06:38 PM
Most of the time, stock tires suck.
thats a fact. like how most car audio systems suck. people know that when they buy a car, and most dont care. its either good enough for them, or they will do what they need to for it to be sufficient. tires are the same thing. some people car drive their echo around on stock rubber and not even care. those of us that do, upgrade. problem is, most people dont think of tires that way. and imho, tires are most certainly more important than a stereo.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interestingly enough, the RE-92s' are among the most expensive in the tc's size, too bad they suck. I live in upstate NY where snow is a major factor so I went with the Avon Tech M550 A/S from Tire Rack for $99 a tire. Ignore the fact that most people don't recognize the name, they've been standard on Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, TVR & Aston Martin for decades. Check up on the reviews also as they are fare favorably with the best of Pirelli, Michelin & Yokohama and they'll save you cash in the process.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Avon has made really decent motorcycle tires since time began. Definitely fast enough to win club racing championships.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol i dont think my dealer knew about the stock tires sucking, he always wondered why peeps dump them, but he always traded. anyways, i think i will get avons anyways, if i can get at least 100$ on my stock tires for each, ill be set.

avons are 99$ each and are ranked #1 one tirerack's surveys (out of 17 tires, the stock potenzas are ranked 17/17) also another almost equivalent tire is the pirelli pzero nero m&s. but since they are 20$ more (20 times 4 equals 80$) and offer equal performance, i will get avons. pirelli might be a name brand, but avon tech is almost the secret best one. its seems like avons are ignored by everyone except their key demographic-ultra high performance cars and bikes. it is also kind of cool knowing that avon doesnt have to advertise like hell to get peeps to buy there stuff (pirelli is a sponser of various rappers-dr dre, snoop dog, 50 cent, even shaq (lol he is supossedly a rapper also) anyways thats that, although i have to admit, 22 inch pirellis on a car does sound cool.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
the avons will be my choice also, but right now it doesn't make financial sense for me to change the tires, the stock ones suffice for now. Unfortunately, I recently had a hernia in my front right tire, probably from the time that I curbed my rim. It was very slight, but I didn't want to drive around with it, as it's a weak spot that can create a lot of problems. So I was quoted from the dealership $200+ NOT including labor. So I shopped around and a Midas relatively close by charged 168+tax+alignment and total was right around 200. I am not happy. At this point in time, I realize that I can have better tires if I put down another 200. But yeah, I guess I'll wait and see. If the tires get unbearable I'll replace them when I have to.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I can personally vouch for tha Avons; I just got the Tech M550s on my car (225/40/18ZR) and I absolutely love them. The only real problem is something mentioned quite often in the Tire Rack owner reviews, and that is that the tires are kind of, "lumpy," for the first few miles after the car has sat for over 12 hours and cooled. It takes about 3-7 miles to get them to smooth out again. I only really notice this on some weekends, as during weekdays, my car does not sit for more than 12 hours without moving, due to my work hours. Even with this odd phenomenon though, I would not switch to a different tire. My commutes are long enough that a bit of lumpiness the first few miles does not offset the great performance of the tires (and great price) when warmed up (imho).

-Ed

·
Registered
664 Posts
so to those who bought the avons.. any loss of fuel economy? besides the flat spotting (the lumpy when cold, the pirelli's i have do that too) noise? ride?

someone said there was a whine to these tires due to the tread design.. let me know as i am looking for something that lasts longer and is still good compared to the pzero nero's.. only gonna get 20k out of them if i am lucky..

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Originally posted by sciontc_mich@Aug 3 2005, 10:55 PM
so to those who bought the avons.. any loss of fuel economy? besides the flat spotting (the lumpy when cold, the pirelli's i have do that too) noise? ride?

someone said there was a whine to these tires due to the tread design.. let me know as i am looking for something that lasts longer and is still good compared to the pzero nero's.. only gonna get 20k out of them if i am lucky..
Using the air conditioner instead of driving without it will cost you more fuel than switching to these tires; however, I switched from 205 series Yokohamas on 17" wheels to 225s on 18" wheels, and I don't think it's a fair comparison unless compare equal size tires at equal air pressure. Also, I never did precise measurements or record distances traveled so I'm only going on a hunch. As for noise, I definitely can't complain about these tires; they are very, very quiet. I sometimes catch some whine on concrete, but not on asphalt.

-Ed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.