Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a few weeks back one of my subs blew a voice coil. So I used one of the voice coils on it up to yesterday when i put a new one i had bought from circuit city in there. Thump thump thump sounds freakin great. Then i smelled it... burning electronics. Now the New one is burning up.... How can this be? its ran the same as my other sub, only thing diffrent is the amp.... both amps are the same, and i kept the cliping to a min. Does anyone have any advice?

2x12inch 1206t audiobahn
2x300 watt MRD M300 alpine
1.5 farad cap.

HELP ME!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
is ur deck, hooked up exactly as it should...more impotantly the remote wire could be screwing with your amp, my buddy fried two kicker l7's because his sony deck was installed funky and although it sounded good, in due time he managed to fry two subs, he runs two all the time, but onyl one would fry, no idea why it happened, but it did twice...finally we took it to a local dealer, i guess the weird hookup screwed up his amp and it caused to subs to fry....still not sure exactly why, but lucky for him it was all under warranty...

my recommendation is to take it to a alpine dealer and have them look at your install, they might even do it for free....

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Remote wire is hooked to the power outlet in the center console, but it also goes from the amp to the single black neon i have there also
heres a pic:

Please Note!! The wires dont cross anymore, one sub is hooked to one amp now.. Also, the source of the RCAs are the rear speakers... I have a stock deck. And I dont want to take the dash off to get to it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
is the neon hooked up to the amp that blew, or the amp that didnt power lead?

·
Registered
453 Posts
and what are you using as the ground for your neon?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
neon is on the remote wire and the ground wire of the blown spkr's amp.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Blown speaker's amp's ground could have gotten messed up and be charged... disconnect the neon and get a new sub and see if all is fixed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
that very well could be your problem, i would still recommend taking it to circuit city or someplace like that and have them test the outputs of both amps.....but i have a simliar setup as you (but i have my lights up front turn on with the remote lead however they are grounded differently [to the cigarette lgihter ground]) not saying that my way works, but iremember when i had a guy at a install place help me with some lighting in my old car, he said that when u buy neon it has the connector that goes into the cigarette lighter, well in that are resistors that keep the electriccity from going backwards, but if u cut it off like we did, u need to replace them or else you could burn out the lights....however, in ur case since the light is on the same ground as the amp, a similar situation could effect it....

·
Registered
453 Posts
not sure if that made sense, but i would check ur amp, because thats what happened to my buddy and if u have blown two subs on the same amp, it has to be that....wiring woudl effect both amps and subs, the onyl variable you have is the neon, which i think might have been the problem, and in turn has effect the one amp....but i honestly recommend taking it to an installer....and just let him look at it....not necessarily have him fix it, but ask if they can take a look....it seems that u have a pretty decent grasp on car stereo installs so just get the info u need then do it urself

·
Registered
453 Posts
exactly, the neon seems to be the issue...but definately check the amp, b/c what happened to my buddies, in this similar situation was permanent

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you think my amp is permenantly damaged? It seemed to match the output of the other one exactly... *they are digital, and tuned to be the same.* I took off the neon driving home but it seems that it didnt help, the subs still stinkin, worse than before even.

·
Registered
59 Posts
to be honest, i dont think you needed a capacitor for 600rms (total) from 2 class d amps, an upgraded battery or some simple larger wires would have done the trick

anyways, im wondering how you're getting the sub signal from your head unit into 2 amps, did u use a y splitter?

and try running a separate power wire, about 12/14awg, and get a relay, from there u can run lots of neons and have alot of remote turn on wires for amps, and even fans, all this without possibly damaging ur other stuff

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are right, i didnt need the Cap, i got the sucker for free when i bought my 12s.

The question now is:

Can I run a speaker on that amp still?? or is it broken?

·
Registered
453 Posts
well i can see alpman is here right now so im assuming hes a out to help being that alpine is his thing, but have the amp looked at before u replace the speaker....IMO

·
Registered
730 Posts
Originally posted by aznxthuggie@Apr 12 2005, 10:59 PM
...anyways, im wondering how you're getting the sub signal from your head unit into 2 amps, did u use a y splitter?
I have that same question. If you ran a single RCA from the hi-lo to each amp, the output of the factory deck and/or the hi-lo may not be equal left vs right. You may be feeding a higher voltage and possibly clipped signal into that one amp. Even though the level may be set the same, the input voltage may be different, causing the one amp to clip prematurely. My solution would be to run the output of the hi-lo into an RCA Y cable to give you a summed mono output. This will equal the left vs right output in either of the two scenarios above. Then take another RCA Y to split the output in two again, running one to each amp. The input channel on each amp should be set to 1 instead of 1/2 or you will lose 3db of output.

Also, what impedance are the subs? You said they are DVC's. How do you have each sub wired to the amp, series or parallel? What is the overall impedance load to the amp. The output power will differ on each amp if they have different loads. A lower impedance on one amp will cause it to reach max power sooner than the other, at which point if you turn up the volume any higher, it will cause that amp to clip. Use a VOM meter to check if each are the same. If they are not, correct the problem by rewiring each them or selecting two woofers with the same impedance. Be sure your combined impedance of each woofer is not lower than 2 ohm. These amps are not 1 ohm stable and impedances below 2 ohm will cause excessive heat and/or clipping and may cause the amp to go into over-current protection, shutting them down.

Another long winded one from me, but I hope it narrows things down for you. This is my best guess with the inf that has been given. Let me know if either of these didn't solve the problem.

-G

·
Registered
730 Posts
Originally posted by Soundguy50@Apr 13 2005, 01:30 AM
well i can see alpman is here right now so im assuming hes a out to help being that alpine is his thing, but have the amp looked at before u replace the speaker....IMO
I was writing another book. My newest contribution to the encyclopedia of car audio...hehe!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Both amps get the same signal- Left Rear speaker into 2 RCAs. Basicly what you said is already happenin. The DVCs are 4ohms each at paralell i have um runnin at 2 ohms, an the amps are 2 ohm stable. Ill go check the resistance when i have a chance, but im sure its the same.

So any other ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
check the voltage running into each amp, make sure you aren't starving the amps. (I'd probably pull the cap and troubleshoot without it) what size is your power wire (from the battery), and the ground wire.
are you running any distribition.. Also you stated that the remote wire is also powering your NEoN? It's is a good rule of thumb that whenever you use a remote wire to power more then one thing to use a relay in conjuction.. (another question: since your running a stock deck, what wire did you tap to determine it as a remote?)ok I re-read the post and saw where your remote is coming from & someone stated earlier about the relay
did you meter the resistance?
something I've always run into with blown subs is that distortion will blow a sub alot faster then over powering a sub. does the aux output adapters you are running have gains?

a VOM wil be your best friend in troubleshooting. Everything might set to equal, but a VOM might show otherwise?? you never know. weird!!

another thought, your grounds need to be distributed. I wouldn't ground your neon onto the actual amp, run it to the master ground, or it's own seperate ground.
Does each amp have it's own fuse? did you fuse the neon tube as well?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heres some Numbers for you number junkies... Hehehe
Speaker#1 *Smells like burnin*
Ohms, total: 2.3
Ohms, VC1: 4.6
Ohms, VC2: 4.6
Voltage, Amp, Imput: 12.76
Voltage, Amp, Output, With neon wired in: 6.4 AC MAX
Voltage, Amp, Output, Without neon: 6.4 AC MAX... Same song

Voltage, Amp, Output, With neon wired in: 4 millivolts DC
Voltage, Amp, Output, Without neon: 4 millivolts DC

Speaker#2 *not smelling so bad, in fact kinda nice!*
Ohms, total: 2.1
Ohms, VC1: 4.2
Ohms, VC2: 4.1
Voltage, Amp, Imput: 12.76
Voltage, Amp, Output: 6.4 AC MAX *still the same ole song*
Voltage, Amp, Output: 4 millivolts DC

I hope you guys can help me out with these #s. I see why sub 2 is hitting harder that sub 1, less ohmage, and this also indicates damage to sub 1's VC; because the ohms of each coil should be 4 ohms.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by PhatFront@Apr 13 2005, 04:06 PM
something I've always run into with blown subs is that distortion will blow a sub alot faster then over powering a sub. does the aux output adapters you are running have gains?
The signal is comming from the rear left speaker, hard wired into an RCA. It is possible that the headunit is distorting and causing the amps to pick up that distortion. What do yall think?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.