Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trying to put together a poorman's big brake kit using OEM Subaru WRX brake discs. I'm not having any luck finding any specs on them. Does anyone have a good WRX resource for something like this?

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Close but no cigar. I actually need the measurements of the hat. Centerbore, depth, and all the diameters to be able to determine if it will work unmodified with a tC. Actually, I know the centerbore is not right, but there are ways around that problem. The really big concern is the size and shape of the hat to determine what kind of brackets we need. Then, I want to find some Brembos off an STi or an Evo and see if they can be suitably mounted. I'm willing to bet I can find them in a junkyard a whole lot cheaper than buying them new from Subaru or Mitsubishi.

This has new importance with the new wheels. Damon is already bitching at me about the ride height and the "ugly" brakes the new wheels have exposed.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no where to paint Brembo or Wilwood on them so you could see it from a distance. Gotta have that bling, bling, ya know!

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vinyl would shrivel up and fall off on the first stop. If there were some metal there, I'd take them off, smooth them out, and machine tC into them, but they cut the front side out to save weight, so there's nothing to work with.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now we're cooking. I'll do some measuring this weekend. This might be pretty easy. Now I just need to find out what they cost...

Those '03 WRX discs are 326mm, that's 12.8+ inches. Plenty big for a 3000 lb car. Now, to see if it will fit, and to see what I need to do to make a bracket for a Brembo (or other decent) caliper.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
LoL...glad you were able to make some sense out of whatever I was looking at. Nothing better to do at work but to dig and dig in the "allowed" places of the 'net.

What I did see was that most of the bigger wrx brakes needed 17" wheels at a minimum. So we've easily got the clearance.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I'm not too worried about clearance, I'm a lot more concerned about the hat working correctly with the hubs. I'll have to have a centering ring made too, but that's simple lathe stuff. As long as people don't want to use stock wheels with the OEM hub bore, life is good.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is English. Afta enai Ellenika! Katalavenis?

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No. Language is plural, the definite article has to agree in gender, number, and case. You did catch a spelling error though.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, after a bunch of digging around, it would seem we need to find some '04 WRX STi front brake discs. They are the only ones significantly larger than our stock 10.7" discs. LOTS of Subarus use an 11.4" disc and they are pretty easy to find (cheap too), but they lack the full bling of a big brake disc.

Follow up note: No way STi discs. They are stupid expensive, they must be made of unobtanium. I could buy two complete sets of Supra front rotors and STILL not meet the discounted price of those rotors. Subaru wants $337 EACH for their front rotors. Supra rotors (which are bigger and a better design) are $100 before the discount. Looks like the 11.4 inch rotor is the bargain.

If anyone knows an '04 STi owner with some dead rotors, they would be perfect for fitting this kit idea....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.