Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted one of these cars since the first time I saw it. I come back from my 12 months in Afghanistan and finally realize I have the money to get one, Instead of paying down right for it, I ended up getting a 60 month loan for 7.7k to buy an '06 Scion tC. Every since I picked it up, It was amazing to drive. But I digress, About a month after I got it, I was still fighting the state of Alabama over getting the Oklahoma title put it my name, I was wrongly informed by USAA that I couldnt get insurance without a title, Therefore making the car basically undriveable. Well, One night I found out one of my close family members was in the hospital in critical condition, And my girlfriend was out of town for her job with our only other car, So I hop in the car and head towards the hospital, On the way there going down the interstate the back passenger tire blows and I struggle for control to hit a sign sideways going about 60 and slide down a hill, Shattering the driver side door window, Killing the door, And doing major damage, Let's save the descriptions, I suck with writing, So here are some pictures.

As you can see, The sideskirts are nonexistent. The backhatch glass is also busted. Anywho, I went to a body shop with these pictures and the guy there said it would cost around 10.5k to fix back to stock. What I originally planned on doing was instead of getting it fixed back to stock was ordering a body kit and paying someone to put it on, The body kit I want contains most of the stuff needed to fix it, minus the door, the back hatch, and the rims. But he side that would put the cost around 12k total, He also said what majorly jacked the price up was the rear quarter panel, and having to completely cut it off and reweld a new one on. I, Personally, Don't know much about cars mechanical or body wise. I know the basics, Changing the oil, Changing brake pads, So forth. I want to learn, But I don't think I wanna start here. The reason im making this post is to get you guys opinions on how I should go about this situation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
To be honest, it would be better to part the car out. Especially if it's going to cost more than the cars worth. Just cut losses, part out what you can, and put that toward another one. That's speaking from personal experience. Btw, did this happen in Alabama? If so where at?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, It happened in Montgomery, Off 65. The problem with parting it out here is, I think it would be kindve hard to find buyers. On another note, I still have about 6500 from my deployment I can use to fix it. The only reason im talking about fixing it is because I still have to make payments on my loan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts