Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off id like to say that ive been to many scion websites/forums and this one is my favorite. its laid out very well and has usefull info. well i bought an 06 tc about 3 months ago. it is an automatic and is a beautiful black cherry. i am happy with the car for the most part. my previous ride was a 96 eagle talon esi that my girlfriend totaled(women drivers). it was between the jetta and the tc. im happy with my decision. there is only one problem i have noticed. i live in the city of wind, chicago. actually south suburbs, but im a union bricklayer and i work in chicago all over. this is my everyday car and goes through its share of chi city traffic. i started to notice in the morning when i would leave for work, when it was cold for the first minute or two my car would not shift into overdrive. it would just rev high in third. once its warmed up it would shift fine. now in chicago we have some cold winters, but i never had this problem with my eagle. i do alot of traveling for work and i travel to oberlin ohio often to visit the my girl. ive had the car for a little over 3 months and it has nearly 9000 miles. id like to know if this is something that other owners are experiencing. does anybody know what might fix this. some may say "just let the car warm up". maybe im being critical but i think if my 96 talon that i bought in 2001 for $4000 had no problems shifting when it was cold then i think my $20,000 tc should be fine as well. thanks for your input. peace

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I own a Manaual So I can't answer your question sorry, but good choice on the tC over the Jetta! Hope you enjoy it even more. and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Are you really talking about shifting into overdrive, or are you talking about downshifting?

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
We don't get as cold here in Atlanta as Chicago but my car has sat overnight in below freezing weather and I don't recal my transmission acting any differently. I also don't go above 3k rpm before the engine is fully warmed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Automatic Echo that I rented once would not upshift into OD unless warmed up, so the guess would be that tC is the same way. But let's wait for somebody up north with an auto to reply.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dont know if this helps but my previous vehicle was a 2000 toyota pre runner and did the same thing. When it was cold it would not shift into od. It has not been cold enough here in CA so I cant tell you what my Tc does plus I always warm up my car now, I never take off when its cold. I had many problems with my toyota and warming it up was something I NEVER did. Dont know if it was the reason why I had so many problems but I am not gonna take a chance.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by tyronebiggums@Dec 29 2005, 11:27 PM
when it was cold for the first minute or two my car would not shift into overdrive. it would just rev high in third. once its warmed up it would shift fine.
this is totally normal. the xB and xA automatics do that too. I am not sure why it does that but, it is something the car is suppose to do.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can verify that is the way my automatic tc works....will not shift into OD until the engine has reached a certain temp. I would suppose it speeds up engine warm-up a little and prevents automatic lugging of the engine until things are nice and warm and well lubed. It may have a relationship to emissions too....but that is a just a possible. It is true that all automatic cars do not work that way...but many do not shift into OD until warm.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
hey look what i found.

Originally posted by scion tc owner's manual page 104
Always use the “D” position for better fuel
economy and quieter driving. If the engine
coolant temperature is low, the transmission
will not shift into the overdrive gear
even in the “D” position.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty+Dec 31 2005, 10:43 AM-->QUOTE (moriarty @ Dec 31 2005, 10:43 AM)
hey look what i found.

<!--QuoteBegin-scion tc owner's manual page 104

Always use the “D” position for better fuel
economy and quieter driving. If the engine
coolant temperature is low, the transmission
will not shift into the overdrive gear
even in the “D” position.
[/b]
See what a little common sense and searching will get ya.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i noticed that the other day i wasnt flooring it but it did seem like it didnt want to go into od, i figured that it did that to warm up quicker i guess i was right, it does it faithfully to. and more so, most manuals that ive read said there is no use to warm your car up more that 30 sec. but just take it easy until your car is warmed up. it makes good sense to me. if your car is cold and you get on the highway then it will shift it wont stay in 3rd at unreasonable rpms just enough to warm up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.