Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So winter time is here, and I ordered myself up some snow/ice tires so i dont ski around in the winter on the stock potenza. I ordered some Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50s in the stock size ( Click for Tire Info )
So far so good, just a couple inches of snow here, but plenty of ice over the past week, they are working excellent mount on the stock rims. If anyone was looking at winter tires, but didn't want to buy more wheels I think these are an excellent option. I paid 635 for all 4 tires, mounting/balancing, tax, as well as free mouting/dismouting summer tires for as long as I own the tires. We are supposed to get a couple inches of snow tonight, i will let you know how they handle in slush tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another note, i watched a 4wd chevy and a van fail to climb up a hill in front of me two mornings ago, but the scion with these tires made it up no sweat. I imagine this had plenty to do with me being experienced on ice, but still it did go pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, its official Blizzaks kick ass. Had no problem on the commute into work with ice and 4 inches of snow today. The gf slid all over hte place in her 2003 All wheel drive VW passat, and i heard from many other people that they were sliding all over the place. I was able to drive completely normal all the way to work, great buy for the money, i highly suggest to anyone looking at winter tires!

·
Registered
543 Posts
its really interesting driving down the icy road and seeing almost all the vehicles in the ditch are 4X4 trucks/suvs. while i'm puttering along on my potenzas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ha yesterday i was driving to school in MD (had a two hr delay) and i braked just a little bit on some snow and ABS kicked in. Luckily I made sure to have a crap load of room from anyone but this confirms that i need something besides the stock tires. Looking at the Avon Tech M550's

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
My car is covered in salt. And it has been too cold to wash her off. Tempreatures at or around freezing suck for washing cars. That being said. These tires RAWK!!!!!!!

We did not get much snow, but it was enough to test their performance in the snow. I had a hard time getting abs to kick on when braking hard going down a steep hill. It also took a yank of the e-brake to finnaly get the rear tires to break loose in a snow covered parking lot. All in all AWESOME SNOW TIRES!

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Nice. Yeah my car's COVERED in salt too. I'm not liking it.

Haven't had enough snow on the ground to test out the Avon Tech's really. That'll change after tonight. 4" of snow tonight with another 4 tomorrow.

·
Registered
866 Posts
God, I know what you guys mean. My BSP is now FM with all the salt on her, lol. BTW, I found this mainly touchless car wash near my place. It's $10 for the works, and you can come back as much as you want for 5 days for free. Niceness!! I plan on going back saturday, b/c they're calling for above freezing and no snow. Right now, my car is covered in snow. Fun fun driving home.

But honestly, I'm so happy to see some of you guys with proper snow equipment for these long cold months ahead. I pass so many people on the road who are slipping and sliding. I do feel bad for them, but not really.. b/c if they had any sense they'd have real tires. IMO, "All Seasons" = 3 Seasons. And in some of our cases, performance tires = 1 season, dry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quick question:

What offset will I need on 15" steel rims? I can get some from a friend of mine's Passat that he never used for cheap, 15"x6" with 5x100 bolt pattern, but the offset is 38mm. Anyone know if this would work? If not, what should I be looking for as far as offset? This info. I could not find on tirerack or by searching. Only offset info I could find was for 18" rims. Thanks.

Merry Christmas!!

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
It should work just fine.

·
Registered
543 Posts
i finally broke down and ordered some winter tires (i almost got stuck on a very slight incline
) ordered some 15" steel wheels and blizzaks from tirerack. hopefully i stay on the road until they get here!

·
ex-06'er
1,116 Posts
The snow finally melted here so I'm holding off for now. I managed to get through the really bad snow storm a few weeks ago without too much hassle on the stock Yokos but if we get more snow I might end up caving and buying some winter tires.

Probably a dumb question, but Kurker why 16" steel wheels? Smaller rim = better handling and steel wheels are cheap? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You use steel wheels because who cares if they get f-ed up or scuffed, also more sidewall can yeild better results in snow. I used my stock 17s, because im getting new rims come springtime so the stockers will be my junkers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Originally posted by patrickdubya49@Jan 1 2006, 02:16 PM
Probably a dumb question, but Kurker why 16" steel wheels? Smaller rim = better handling and steel wheels are cheap? Just wondering.
The 16s were cheap. I have an RS1.0 so I do NOT want to mess up me stock 18s. I was thinking about getting 15s for the tC, but I think it would have too much sidewall so dry handling would suck. In snow it is better to have a thinner tire. It is the opposite in dry.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.