Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now that winter is just around the corner I am starting to shop for winter wheels and tires. In the past I have just used all season tires as my winter tires. I have had a few scary winter moments when I believe snow tires would have helped. I am getting some 16X6.5 cheap-o steel wheels with 195/55HR16 tires.

I am leaning towards snow tires because the tC is my first new car and I will have to commute 25 miles each way in some of the dumbest traffic on the east coast. So is it worth paying a little extra $ for full on snow tires or will I be ok on all-seasons?

Also does anyone have any experience with any of these tires? My friend had the Blizzaks on his Impreza.

Blizzaks

X-Ice

Ultra Grip GW3

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I was wondering about this too. Since I live in the Northeast, I've seen what performance tires do in the snow (I was drivin around fine in my lil Jetta and had to help a BMW push out of the snow!).

I was pondering getting some cheap rims and snows. I don't think New Jersey allows chains.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Smaller Rims, Thicker Tires.... I don't see a problem...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Originally posted by krdshrk@Sep 22 2005, 02:28 PM
Smaller Rims, Thicker Tires.... I don't see a problem...
The problem would be if the steel wheels didn't clear the brakes.

I think the stock brakes on tC should clear 16" steel wheels, but that's only a guess. There's no way in frozen hell 16" steel wheels would clear my brakes.

-Ed

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to the fellows at Tire Rack. The 16" steelies will fit the tC with stock brakes fine. They even had 15 wheel and tire packages for the tC. I ordered the Blizzaks and steelies today.

Expensive week. New windshield and wheels and tires. $1,000 on stuff that isn't even cool. I'll let everybody know how the Blizzaks perform in the first snow in a couple months.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
How much did the rims + tires cost alone? I might have to spend it...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kurker,

I decided on the same set for this winter. I drove my tC in some nasty Connecticut storms last January - March and I'm not about to do it again! I've had a few friends put blizzaks on their fwd cars and they've told me it's made a world of difference. It definitely sucks spending money on winter wheels especially when lobux is getting people for a group buy for those 5zigen wheels!

Ohh well.... Maybe we should get our own group buy on some spinny hub caps for our steelies!
lol

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Will those 15" even fit?! I looked at the brakes and they're pretty big.. Thanks for the info though. I think I might spend the $600 for the Blizzak set.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Sometimes, not often, but sometimes, I really enjoy living in California.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The land of bad traffic, fish tacos, redwoods, killer sushi, pink's, earthquakes, wine, no snow and almost all of the import scene. Not a bad place to live. I am and always will be an east coaster. I am a little to rude/suspicious to/of strangers to live anywhere else in the country.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
15" should fit. tC has same size rotors as Corolla, and corolla comes stock with 15" steelies. Does not look like our calipers are bigger either.

I would find a friend/neighbor with a corolla and ask them to lend you their donut. What size is our donut, btw?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.