Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my windows tinted yesterday and it really cleaned up the look of the car so far...it's the first thing I've done to it.

But, I'm a bit concerned, I got the three rear windows limo tinted (5%) and the driver & passenger windows tinted at 15%. ALthough I do love the look, I'm a bit concerned about how dark I got it done, I'm really hoping I don't get a fix it ticket and I really don't want to take it off cause it looks so clean.

Does anyone know how strict/legal tinting is in San Diego, CA?

I'll try to post some pictures so I can show you ASAP

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Cops are pretty strict about it usually, especially in a nice new sports coupe, did you look at the laws before you got them tinted, im pretty sure what you have is illegal everywhere

peglegskier Posted on Aug 2 2005, 12:18 PM
  Beware the rath of Plisskin... [/b]
^^^Lol, such a rep now P

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Your tint is not legal anywhere in CA without a letter from your opthamologist indicating it is for a medical condition. Search this subject and you'll find the full text of the CA law regarding tint.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by peglegskier@Aug 2 2005, 03:18 PM
Beware the rath of Plisskin...
I had no intention of saying anything, yeesh. And spell my name right!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 2 2005, 04:22 PM
Your tint is not legal anywhere in CA without a letter from your opthamologist indicating it is for a medical condition. Search this subject and you'll find the full text of the CA law regarding tint.
CA doesn't allow exemptions for people with skin conditions?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Do the search, read the text, call me wrong. You've earned it.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 2 2005, 06:55 PM
Do the search, read the text, call me wrong. You've earned it.
To be honest, I didn't even look...I was just curious.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I looked up the law for the state I live in BEFORE I got my windows tinted. That way I knew what to expect if I decided to break the law. (I didn't.)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Originally posted by Plissken+Aug 2 2005, 02:39 PM-->QUOTE (Plissken @ Aug 2 2005, 02:39 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-peglegskier
@Aug 2 2005, 03:18 PM
Beware the rath of Plisskin...
I had no intention of saying anything, yeesh. And spell my name right! [/b]
btw: rath is spelled wrong-its wrath with a w.

(i think it might have been on purpose, but i might as well say it.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Originally posted by dnelas2@Aug 2 2005, 11:52 AM
I just got my windows tinted yesterday and it really cleaned up the look of the car so far...it's the first thing I've done to it.

But, I'm a bit concerned, I got the three rear windows limo tinted (5%) and the driver & passenger windows tinted at 15%. ALthough I do love the look, I'm a bit concerned about how dark I got it done, I'm really hoping I don't get a fix it ticket and I really don't want to take it off cause it looks so clean.

Does anyone know how strict/legal tinting is in San Diego, CA?

I'll try to post some pictures so I can show you ASAP
Check out this post I had created...

CA - Front Sides (70%)
Back Sides/Rear (Any %)

So in reply to your post, it is illegal to have the front sides tinted as low as 15%..according to IWFA (International Window Film Association). Check out this post for a chart:

State Rules for Tinting Windows

·
Registered
87 Posts
Actually the Cali laws says fronts = 90% which are basically clear with UV protection. My recommendation is to keep dem windows down if they're hella dark.

·
Registered
426 Posts
yeh i jus got mine done as well..i got 6% in the back and the fronts i got 22%..it does look clean, but the only difference is that i got the HP tint so it has a little bit more metal in the actual tint to block more UV rays and adds a little more privacy then the normal flat colored tint..

But CA laws do say that anything above below 70% on the windshield or side windows is illegal..i had to sign a release form stating that the shop that tinted my windows wasnt liable for any tickets that may come my way..haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.