Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago while driving home with all windows and sunroof completely closed, I heard a loud and annoying "howling" noise at about 75-80 MPH. It sounded like road noise at first, like a car with terrible alignment. It was gone the next day. Today, it returned, and I believe it is actually a wind noise. Has anyone else encountered this?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Nope... but I'd check the little plastic/rubber black thing between your front windshield and the glass flap that comes up for your sunroof. I have noticed that mine has popped out a little from time to time... probably due to the change in weather...

Other than that... maybe the wolves are calling to you to come join their pack...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I just checked out the rubber trim above the windshield. It seals with the windshield for the most part but there is a small portion (about 6 inches wide) where it is lifted about 1/4 inch from the windshield... I can imagine this could cause a wind noise. Tried pushing it back down... no luck.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Well that piece of rubber should be able to move and flex in order to allow the flap of glass to come up for the sunroof to open. I think its normal for it to come out a little... but when I initially got my tC, it was popping out much more than the 1/4 inch you are talking about... My coworker discovered it and he was able to push it back in...

And for those people who've posted about getting water in their tCs during a carwash.... I think you should check this strip out before you wash you car.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah, I was paranoid about that strip the first time I took mine through the touchless carwash, since I'd heard about the jet of water someone else had fun dealing with.

I haven't had problems with my strip though, and I haven't noticed any loud road noises either (over 90 mph).

·
Registered
675 Posts
chances are the molding needs to be glued down better so it won't move.. had that on my civic too.. dealer should be able to do that for you.. stop the howling.. unless you like to think you're a wolf.. lol

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by QSJ Ed@Aug 11 2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the advice, ladies

You feel the need for speed, Loopy?
LOL...actually, no. Hehe.

I was on a road trip the first weekend I had my baby and I was told not to use the cruise control during the break-in. Well, after awhile I was getting comfortable with the car and stopped checking the speedometer so often...just went with the flow.

Well, apparently, on some roads in NC that must mean 90 mph because I looked down one time and just about flipped! LOL...man that would've sucked getting a ticket for that much the first weekend I had the car.

I think with the car being so quiet (even at high speeds), handing so well, and with me not having to get out and push it to go up a hill....I just didn't realize what I was doing.

Oh yeah, I think they should change that about the car being so quiet....that's pretty damn annoying. Hehe.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I've noticed lately that I'm getting the whistling noise or a high pitch howling noise when I'm driving about 75+. Anyone else??? Almost sounds like wind is passing through a tiny hole or something along the windshield...

·
Registered
453 Posts
this may sound weird, but check if ur air was on more than a third of the way, i heard the same thing, after i got off the freeway and my music was quiet i realized that i still heard it.....somehow the sound of the air going through my center vents made a very faint whispering noise managed to carry itself to appear that it was coming from the roof...

i realize this may have just been my car, buts its worth taking a listen to

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by Soundguy50@May 13 2005, 04:42 PM
this may sound weird, but check if ur air was on more than a third of the way, i heard the same thing, after i got off the freeway and my music was quiet i realized that i still heard it.....somehow the sound of the air going through my center vents made a very faint whispering noise managed to carry itself to appear that it was coming from the roof...

i realize this may have just been my car, buts its worth taking a listen to
I can vouch for this I thought the same thing but then I listened closely and found it was air coming from my vents

·
Registered
453 Posts
SWEET!! im not retarded!!!....well okay atleast not for that reason

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Thought I bring this one back from the grave considering that I hear 2 different wind noise now instead of just 1... lol ...this does not include the wind noise/sound I do hear from my vents from time to time...

The wind noise happens when I'm driving at high speeds... >70. It acts as an alarm for me cause when I hear it, I know I'm going too fast. I've taken it into the dealership once and they said since they couldn't reproduce it, they can't fix it... now I'm stuck with hearing this annoying wind noise... well I guess I've been stuck with it for 2+ years now...

Anyone have any luck with this problem??

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
Originally posted by imasaf@Aug 25 2006, 09:38 PM
Thought I bring this one back from the grave considering that I hear 2 different wind noise now instead of just 1... lol ...this does not include the wind noise/sound I do hear from my vents from time to time...

The wind noise happens when I'm driving at high speeds... >70. It acts as an alarm for me cause when I hear it, I know I'm going too fast. I've taken it into the dealership once and they said since they couldn't reproduce it, they can't fix it... now I'm stuck with hearing this annoying wind noise... well I guess I've been stuck with it for 2+ years now...

Anyone have any luck with this problem??
Bet money it's the rubber strip around the top of the windshield. Mine has done this a few times too at the speeds you mentioned. It's popped out of the groove holding it twice, and I've had to put it back in place. It makes a very obnoxious sound, like a giant fly is in the dashboard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts