Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on spyderchat.com :
http://redlinetrackevents.com/event_dec16.html

I'd love to go to this, but this is my first track event--so what can I expect (especially cost-wise, besides the entry fee)?

I'm running mostly stock except for the TRD rear sway, hotchkis strut bar, and Kumho ECSTA ASXs.

1. Am I going to burn through my tires at this event?
2. How about brakes? What can I expect for usage? I need to go measure how much is left on my rotors/pads, but usually, will I need to replace things after this event?
3. How bad is this going to be on my car as far as longevity is concerned? I'm at about 34k miles right now.

Also, it'd be cool to see more TCs out there...

anyway, I'd like to know your guys' thoughts on this...

thanks

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Wow. That's really inexpensive. Only one thing, they don't have any information about having an instructor with you. I suspect this is a drive yourself affair without instructors available, and I would not recommend this for your first track day. The instruction is worth more than anything on a track day if you have no racing experience mostly because you will tend to build and reinforce bad habits unless you have someone helping you to identify the things you are doing wrong.

More than likely you will cook your brakes at Streets of Willow because it's a tight track with lots of braking and not lots of speed so airflow over the brakes isn't great, and newbies tend to overuse brakes anyway. I would look at new pads, or just get a set of track day pads from Hawk (not the Blues, but something with better fade resistance).

I'd also expect to burn up about 20k worth of tire wear in one day. I don't know how long the Ecstas last in regular service, so it could mean trashing a set of tires in a day. That's another thing an instructor can help you prevent: torching your tires prematurely.

If you are smart about keeping within your limits and the car's limits, you won't significantly affect the car's service life, but if you turn into a track junkie, you will wear out everything much faster, especially the suspension components and the suspension bushings. High corner loads are not one of the intended design parameters for our cars, so it will suffer if you spend a lot of time at the track.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah bummer about not having an instructor there...i thought I remembered reading on there somewhere that there'd be one available, but I've looked several times since then and can't find one.

I assume I should do some karting first?

Also, if I do go to this event, what would happen should I or someone else screw up (i.e. a collision)? Does insurance usually cover incidents such as these that occured on a track?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btw, has anyone here taken their tc to a street course? Lo bux, have you? If so, what'd you think about its performance?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It's not fair to judge tC's by mine. It's a long way from stock for handling. However, with just a rear sway bar and decent rubber the car is pretty competent. Without the swaybar the back end feels a little loose on transitions after you put decent rubber under the car.

Truthfully, your first track day you could drive just about anything and you'll not be pushing the car's limits before you are pushing yours. I've only known a very few people who went fast and smooth on their first outing.

Karting is a great idea, but remember, bad habits tend to reinforce themselves and you'll find you get to a certain point and you won't go any faster until you figure something out. It's a lot easier if you have someone who can observe you and tell you what to do differently. That's undoubtedly the best thing about a track day with instructors (as long as they aren't clueless, which does happen from time to time).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I'm in luck...this is an email from redlineevents:

Hi Joe,

Yes, our driving instructor will be at the Dec 16 event. We'll also have a driving school available if you'd like to get in-depth instruction.

You can sign up for the class and instruction at the track too.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Chris Willard
www.RedlineTrackEvents.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.