Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am considering getting either HKS, INJEN, Greddy, or DC and i noticed that when i emailed scion and asked if they would void my warrenty they just said by the TRD system but i don't exactly like the look of it and would prefer alittle more power. could someone tell me this and it you possibly have one of those systems and an extended warranty from scion let me know how its going

which one should i get if you have the time. thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahhaha, i wish toyota wasn't so stupid about this, i just don't want anything to happen to my car b/c i have to keep it through high school and some of college. does anyone have these systems and takes their car to toyota for service?????

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
just an oil change. they were the ones that installed it, the only thing they told me was to be sure the instructions were with it. no talk about warranty issues at all.

its just a wider pipe than stock. not a whole hell of a lot that can go wrong.

·
Registered
508 Posts
dude just read the link above. its a written law that a company cant void your warranty unless that part can be linked to the problem. so if your mass air takes a dump on you they would have to prove how an axle back exhaust was related to it or was the cause of the failure. if you ask them to put it in writing they have to. its the law.

if you put an intake on the car, they could say the warranty for the mass air is voided but not the entire warranty. so if you put an intake on it and your transmission blows apart on you they cant void the warranty on the transmission without proving that the intake had something to do with it.

the car companies will lie as much as possible to persuade you into spending more money so they will get richer while making you check under the sofa for spare change to fix your car.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by greddytc05@Jan 25 2006, 04:39 AM
dude just read the link above. its a written law that a company cant void your warranty unless that part can be linked to the problem. so if your mass air takes a dump on you they would have to prove how an axle back exhaust was related to it or was the cause of the failure. if you ask them to put it in writing they have to. its the law.

if you put an intake on the car, they could say the warranty for the mass air is voided but not the entire warranty. so if you put an intake on it and your transmission blows apart on you they cant void the warranty on the transmission without proving that the intake had something to do with it.

the car companies will lie as much as possible to persuade you into spending more money so they will get richer while making you check under the sofa for spare change to fix your car.
but just a reminder they would do anything in their possible power to blame aftermarket parts...however it is possibly unlikely that it would be an exhaust unless you tinkered with the sensors or something of that sorts

·
Registered
508 Posts
oh yeah they will do anything they can think of to try and void it. thats why i said they have to directly relate it to the problem. you can make them prove it and also put it in writing. then once you have that you can call certain numbers to fight it.

subaru is well known for trying to void warranties.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so do you think if i got them to install an exhaust system besides that TRD one then it would be even less likely to void that warranty? or atleast look less like it is the aftermarket exhaust's fault

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
They don't know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
197 Posts
lol, the tranmission???? they must have put you through to the guys in detailing or something.....

edit: FYI, my tranny DID blow in my celica and i had a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it. i had the extended warrenty (thank goodness) and got it replaced for like $50 or something insane like that

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well even though i'm only 16 i'm going there tomorrow afternoon to talk to the service department and i have an extended warranty too so does that mean even if i do break something like the trany and it is modified i can still fix it for not too much?

·
Registered
508 Posts
the dealership is going to tell you what they want you to hear. in the minds of the dealership as long as they know that you think it will void the warranty they have $ in there eyes. you can put most bolt on parts on your car without effecting the entire warranty.

if you put on an intake the only thing it might void is the mass air. if you put on an exhaust the only thing it will void is the o2 sensors.

also it doesn't matter if you have the dealer install it or not. even if you install it it still wont void the warranty. the dealer says it will so you will bring it to them and pay them to do something it would only take you an hour tops to do yourself in the driveway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok well apparently i talked to just a sales rep last night b/c i went over there from school and talked to the guy for parts and service for scion and he said buy it b/c there is no way he could mess it up and if it does he said just to take it off before i bring it in. he said prettymuch nothing will break the car.
hks is the way i think i am going to go but i'm also considering Greddy or DC, does anyone have either? i would be amazing if you had pics too possibly

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by greddytc05@Jan 25 2006, 02:39 AM

yea totally. toyota totally bs' alot of their stuff so u can buy it. i asked the guy and he said if u are puting a cai on ur car technically it is tampering with it and it voids the warranty. that guy was an idiot. so i asked him about the trd cai and he says that its specially made for that car. then i was like the injen is made for that too its not like i'm making it with some metal pipes i found in my garage. he didn't say anything and i mentioned that thing from injens site where it protects the warranty and he shut up. the techs are lame.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.