Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey People, I have a 2005 Scion tC (obviously) and wanted to know how wide of a tire I can put on the standard stock wheels? I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE92's on there right now, that are ZR215/45/17 but I want to go wider without necessarily having to replace the wheels (I want new wheels but my wallet says otherwise)... Anyways, I want it to look normal, not like some ghetto buggy with the tires sticking 3 inches out on all 4 corners... Thanks!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
There is no other size that is a good fit for a 7" rim. Sorry, it sucks, but it's true.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at Discount Tire Co.'s Site, and they have a +0 size upgrade which I think means I can put the tires on the stock wheel, but it goes up to a 245 width... I know I can put at least a 225 on it, but I would like to go with possibly a 235 or 245 if I can... Anyways, who knows, but do u know anything about the whole "Plus size" thing when it comes to tires? Thanks

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Plus size is for that diameter, any width wheel.

Your wheel is only 7.0" wide, which is only good for 215; you can squeeze on 225s but it will perform no better (possibly worse due to insufficient lateral sidewall support). The wider plus 0 options are for wider 17" diameter wheels.

-Ed

·
Registered
184 Posts
225. thats what i have on mine. it adds a tad bit bigger sidewall (which to me the tc needed a bit bigger sidewall with the stock tire). but you can go it. thats the biggest you can go though.

my sig pic is what the 225s look like...looks normal.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
My wife's Corolla is on 225/45-17s (on 17x7), changed from the stock 195/65-15s. The 225/45 was the tire that stayed as close as possible to stock in terms of diameter. I think they do fine, laterally. At worst, they increase the slip angle a bit by allowing the tire to be a bit more compliant: so when they do go away, it gives you a little shimmy as a warning, instead of just breaking loose.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
R2TC: I noticed u have the Falken ZE-512's on yours... Thats a tire I have been looking at getting, but am also considering the Falken ST115's, and the BFGoodrich G-Force Sport's... What do you think of them? I dont know if u get any snow but we get a little here in OH, and I need to be able to get around in the snow every once in awhile... Thanks though for the response (Everybody who responded)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Originally posted by jickybob@Oct 31 2005, 04:01 PM
R2TC: I noticed u have the Falken ZE-512's on yours... Thats a tire I have been looking at getting, but am also considering the Falken ST115's, and the BFGoodrich G-Force Sport's... What do you think of them? I dont know if u get any snow but we get a little here in OH, and I need to be able to get around in the snow every once in awhile... Thanks though for the response (Everybody who responded)
No idea on the other two. zoltiz recommended these to me. they are a great tire so far for an all season ultra highperformance and for the price. way better tire and way cheaper than the stock tires. these, the kuhmo ecsta asx and the pirelli pzero neros are all great tire in this area too. check those out as well for an all season ultra highperformance.

good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.