Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im just wondering why people are upgrading their stock stereo to the ipod edition, the two stereos have identical quality so the only two differences are the nicer interface and being able to use the ipod through the head unit. The stock stereo sounds the exact same, and you can use the aux input to connect the ipod or any other mp3 player to it. All you need is a 3$ wire from radio shack. (i bought a super long one by accident and paid 5$) you will have to control the songs from the ipod itself, but it is out of the way in the armrest, just like the ipod editions. The ipod is going to get old soon, and its going to be stupid to have, kind of like those old brick like cell phones in mercedes benz's and those old black and white tv's in old gmc vans. I guess i wouldn't mind having an ipod connecter if it was free, but for 260$ for a headunit that is exactly the same in terms of quality is ridiculous especially with the stock headunit offering the same funcitonality free. (or for 3 bucks)

·
Registered
453 Posts
i can totally see the point in having ur ipod controls in the headunit, and can justify paying a bit more for this "luxury" (i consider it a luxury because deck controls keep my eyes closer tot he road, instead of staring at my armrest i.e. A LOT safer!!!!) therefore, move my eyes to see the deck or move my head to see and hold an ipod???? i choose life!!! so 200 hundred buck (which in this case is just a few moe bucks on peoples monthly payments, or an accident, higher insurance...etc etc......u gotta look beyond the immediate situation, nad always think safety

however, my solution is to but a whole new stereo with that capability, but for some who like the simplicity of a stock stereo, with the quality that the stock deck has, why not?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Soundguy50@Aug 1 2005, 02:43 PM
i can totally see the point in having ur ipod controls in the headunit, and can justify paying a bit more for this "luxury" (i consider it a luxury because deck controls keep my eyes closer tot he road, instead of staring at my armrest i.e. A LOT safer!!!!) therefore, move my eyes to see the deck or move my head to see and hold an ipod???? i choose life!!! so 200 hundred buck (which in this case is just a few moe bucks on peoples monthly payments, or an accident, higher insurance...etc etc......u gotta look beyond the immediate situation, nad always think safety

however, my solution is to but a whole new stereo with that capability, but for some who like the simplicity of a stock stereo, with the quality that the stock deck has, why not?
well if you think back to drivers ed, you are supposed to only operate the radio when the car is stoped, or at a red light etc. of course no one does this, but i do. (i never use cell phones either) i suppose i can see your logic though. besides guys, you dont need the ipod head unit to use your ipod in your car, just that wire. but then again, the head unit recharges your ipod, but i would rather take mine with me and charge it inside after a trip. also i guess why i didnt pick the ipod unit is because i have a standard dock connected ipod (an old one back when 10 gigs was a big deal) and an ipod shuffle which won't connect to the head unit. only ipods, ipod photos, and ipod mini's work with this head unit. if you dont have one of those mp3 players, your boned unless you use the aux input.

·
Registered
453 Posts
also i guess why i didnt pick the ipod unit is because i have a standard dock connected ipod (an old one back when 10 gigs was a big deal) and an ipod shuffle which won't connect to the head unit. only ipods, ipod photos, and ipod mini's work with this head unit. if you dont have one of those mp3 players, your boned unless you use the aux input.[/b]
^ that my friend, is the perfect reason to only buy the 5 dollar cable.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
yes the 2006 radio will fit in a 2005, they are basically the same other than the better knob controls and the Ipod connection.
I will be selling mine soon so give me a PM if your interested. I will include the Ipod cable and plug.
peace

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by adambeazley@Aug 2 2005, 12:50 PM
yes the 2006 radio will fit in a 2005, they are basically the same other than the better knob controls and the Ipod connection.
I will be selling mine soon so give me a PM if your interested. I will include the Ipod cable and plug.
peace
I want it! I really do. PM me and let me know what you want for it!

Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by Shark_bite@Aug 1 2005, 02:24 PM
ok im just wondering why people are upgrading their stock stereo to the ipod edition, .... The stock stereo sounds the exact same, and you can use the aux input to connect the ipod or any other mp3 player to it. .......The ipod is going to get old soon, ........
Well, my reason is that it allows me to control the ipod from the stereo control (and since I have the 2006 model, I can use the steering wheel controls to control my iPod, too). The iPod is so integrated to the stereo system that I can see what's playing, etc. My other car is an Avalon and I bought a connector for my JBL headset. It lets me control the iPod from the stereo itself but lacks features like text display that the SCION radio has. Still, it's much more convenient than having to use the iPod itself when you want to change songs, etc.

My other reason is that it allows me to keep my eyes on the road. I have used connectors like the tape adapter before and was required to use the iPod when I need to change song, etc. This is a horrible idea when you are driving !!! The stock radio will require that you control you iPod from the iPod itself, too. Nah, too distracting for me.

For 200+ something bucks, I think that it's worth it and it certainly worths much more if it keeps me from having an accident !!!

Another advantage for the iPod is that it's like a super CD changer. I have a Mini and it can have upto 1000 songs on it in theory. I myself have about 500+ songs in there so far. Other models can have much more. Now, that' sone hugh cd changer !!!

And as for the iPod being obsolete, I think the SCION will probably be old by then, too. Do you actually know what version the current ipod is ? It's actually version 4, so that means they have been out for quite a few years. And still going.... Unlike other mp3 players which come and go fast. So, by the time my iPod is obsolete, or any iPods are obsolete, it probably won't be too much of a concern.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by Samsingha+Aug 4 2005, 11:03 AM-->QUOTE (Samsingha @ Aug 4 2005, 11:03 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Shark_bite
@Aug 1 2005, 02:24 PM
ok im just wondering why people are upgrading their stock stereo to the ipod edition, .... The stock stereo sounds the exact same, and you can use the aux input to connect the ipod or any other mp3 player to it. .......The ipod is going to get old soon, ........
Well, my reason is that it allows me to control the ipod from the stereo control (and since I have the 2006 model, I can use the steering wheel controls to control my iPod, too). The iPod is so integrated to the stereo system that I can see what's playing, etc. My other car is an Avalon and I bought a connector for my JBL headset. It lets me control the iPod from the stereo itself but lacks features like text display that the SCION radio has. Still, it's much more convenient than having to use the iPod itself when you want to change songs, etc.

My other reason is that it allows me to keep my eyes on the road. I have used connectors like the tape adapter before and was required to use the iPod when I need to change song, etc. This is a horrible idea when you are driving !!! The stock radio will require that you control you iPod from the iPod itself, too. Nah, too distracting for me.

For 200+ something bucks, I think that it's worth it and it certainly worths much more if it keeps me from having an accident !!!

Another advantage for the iPod is that it's like a super CD changer. I have a Mini and it can have upto 1000 songs on it in theory. I myself have about 500+ songs in there so far. Other models can have much more. Now, that' sone hugh cd changer !!!

And as for the iPod being obsolete, I think the SCION will probably be old by then, too. Do you actually know what version the current ipod is ? It's actually version 4, so that means they have been out for quite a few years. And still going.... Unlike other mp3 players which come and go fast. So, by the time my iPod is obsolete, or any iPods are obsolete, it probably won't be too much of a concern.
[/b]
You can get any 2004+ alpine deck with their Ai-NET interface and the KCA-420i and get the same features, ie see the artist, song name, etc. Plus you can search around on your iPod while you have a song playing and have a better stereo to boot for around the same cost depending on which deck you would get.

Also, how do these kind of features really help you keep your eyes on the road? Instead of looking at the iPod, you'll be looking at your stereo.

·
Registered
102 Posts
think about it, how far do you have to move your head to look at the radio? You dont, you just glance at it with your eyes and use the stearing wheel controls to change the song. You can glance back up in an instance.

Now how far must yu move your head in order to find the ipod down in the arm rest then use one hand while looking down at it to switch the songs. Your whole head moves making it take longer to look back up at the road. And this is what makes it a bit more dangerous and less convenient.

If someone is willing to pay for convenience then let them. On the other hand if its more convenient to save the money then save money and be happy with the ipod controls. To each their own!
Peace

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well say you don't put it in the factory location. There are mounts so that you can put an ipod at dash level, etc. Plus think about this: Whether you're searching through the ipod or using the stereo for that one song out of 500, 1000, 2000 songs? Your attention is still mainly going to be on that interface. I'm just trying to say it isn't really any safer than if you held the ipod straight out in front of you.

What I was saying was that for $260, you more than likely can have a better radio AND the type of features/convenience they are looking for. Plus a lot of the Alpine radios are OEM steering wheel remote ready. Plus a lot of people with 2005 want a 2006 radio for the just the knob, so you could sell the stock one.

Plus Best Buy always seems to have those same as cash deals going on if it needs to be spread out into "payments"

I just like people to think ahead before they go out and purchase something. Is the stock radio's sound going to be enough for you in a years time? No? Oh well you're still paying for that ipod control with your stock radio in your monthly payments (even if it is a tiny bit) and you go out and buy something better.

I personally thought ahead when I purchased my 2005 and said screw the 6-disc changer. Especially coming from my wrecked previous car with a Kenwood Excelon radio installed that got stolen.

I just hate getting that radio upgrade bug when I hear how much better someone's aftermarket system is. Plus after having purchased an upgraded stock stereo (last one was part of a package in my 2003 eclipse, wanted the ABS, not the radio) even though at the time the radio was "good enough".

Blah I'm rambling.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Originally posted by Blackforge@Aug 4 2005, 07:51 PM
Well say you don't put it in the factory location.  There are mounts so that you can put an ipod at dash level, etc.  Plus think about this:  Whether you're searching through the ipod or using the stereo for that one song out of 500, 1000, 2000 songs?  Your attention is still mainly going to be on that interface.  I'm just trying to say it isn't really any safer than if you held the ipod straight out in front of you.

What I was saying was that for $260, you more than likely can have a better radio AND the type of features/convenience they are looking for.  Plus a lot of the Alpine radios are OEM steering wheel remote ready.  Plus a lot of people with 2005 want a 2006 radio for the just the knob, so you could sell the stock one.

I just like people to think ahead before they go out and purchase something. 
I understand your point, Blackforge.

Howerver, I HAVE dealth with having to change songs on my iPod such as when I was using the casset adapter in my Avalon. I can say that even though the iPod has a good design, having to feel around changing songs while I was driving was too much for me. Hey, I've only been driving for 18 years so I'm still too inexperience to multitask !!!

Also, trying to read the tiny little song names from the tiny little screen ??? Might as well drive into the side of the road since you're asking for troubles when you do that. The iPod stereo has a MUCH larger text display that you can tell by just "glancing".

When I use my car stereo (in any car), I hardly need to "turn my head". I pretty much need to glance and I can see what I need. You said to install the iPod somewhere elses but sometimes it is not too convenient for people to do so. The visually convenient places may require that they put holes into their cars which people may not want. Or may be the visually convenient places may not be suitable to put the iPod !!!

You also said that I could have gotten the Alpine deck. That's another $200-400 depending on what you are getting and THEN you'll need to get that little iPod connector Box for $100 or so and this may or may not include installation depending on where you go to.

That to me is more than $260.

You say the sound is better on the Alpine. Probably, but unless you go with the high-end Alpine, you'll probably not be able to hear much differences.

If I want to improve the sound of my SCION system, I think I'm better off putting in a BETTER set of speakers. That's a cheaper and better way to improve your sound.

I like good music in my car but I always know that you're not gonna beat a good home system when you listen inside the car, especially the noisy SCION. The iPod stereo to me is pretty decent, it's not the best but it's not the worst. I've heard worst, trust me.
So, it's good for me and the conveniences and safty it adds is worth the $260 I paid for, IMHO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
And there you go, two valid arguments! As I said before to each their own.
What makes perfect sence to one person doesnt to another. In my case I didnt know I was getting a 2006 scion until the day it came in. I was under the impression I was getting a 2005 and while waiting for the 5-6 weeks for my manual I bought a new sound system to replace all of the factory stuff and then some. Now when I saw the Ipod connection I was pretty impressed and wondered if it would work with the alpine HU I but but it doesnt. So I did toy with the idea of just keeping that HU and changing the speakers but I needed the CD changer controls that the Apline had so I opted to change it. Now Im in a catch 22 because in the future when I want to add an ipod connection to the Alpine I have to get 2 adaptors @ over $250 to be able to use the ipod and CD changer with that head unit. Anyway for a factory head unit its really good and the fact that they added an AUX input and Ipod input makes it that much better.

peace

·
Registered
339 Posts
first off if you have the ipod stereo head unit upgrade ($260 which i have) there are a few more advantages over the "stock" aux plug stereo.

you can use your ipod fairly easy and convieniently through the factory ipod head unit.
the ipod stero also charges your ipod through the specified ipod plug inside the armrest where it is located
you can use steering wheel controls to control the ipod

the aux input can work with all mp3 players including the ipod, you just dont get any of the advantages listed above...the charging is a deffinite plus on long trips cause my ipod barely holds a charge and i have a 3rd gen 40 gig one. (8 hour lifespan has dwindled to like 4)

those are 3 big things why i bought the ipod stereo for another 260$ it is deff something i use everyday that has replaced my entire cd collection. even if the ipod "fad" goes out in a year, i will still have my ipod, and be enjoying its use through my car. people always told me that i would never use it, or my ipod, but i use both everytime im in my car listening to music. normally i am a big car audio buff but i like the simplicity of the ipod head unit and will end up leaving it in the car, unless i sell it to someone.

here is a pic of the steering wheel controls i will take one l8er of the inside of the armrest from which my ipod "rests"

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by greg091@Aug 6 2005, 07:07 AM
you can use your ipod fairly easy and convieniently through the factory ipod head unit.
the ipod stero also charges your ipod through the specified ipod plug inside the armrest where it is located
you can use steering wheel controls to control the ipod
those are good reasons, but i feel i can use the ipod directly to control the songs just as well as with the hu. also the steering wheel controls can turn up the volume, but not change songs.

also for the ipod charging, instead of spending 260 on a hu that can keep my ipod charged, i would rather buy a new ipod to replace mine when it's batteries are dead, or spend 99$ to buy a new battery. sure i will have to charge it at home, but i always take mine out anyways. i dont have any cd's in my car (of course i did just get my car 2 days ago) i just have my ipod and it rocks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.