Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after much research one thing thats clear is if a thief wants your car hes gonna get it with or without an alarm on it. so i was thinking why not just get lojack instead of an alarm? the tc comes standard with a panic button anyway. maybe im missing something but whats the point of an alarm if the car will get stolen anyway. doesnt it make sense to just use that money for a lojack? any comments?

·
Registered
185 Posts
While a car alarm wont deter a *car* theif that is bent on taking the car, it will deter the passersby that want to take a crack at it, and at least make enough noise to scare them off if they bust a window and grab for your CDs or radio or something. There are lots of threads on this, it comes down really, to your own peace of mind.

·
Registered
515 Posts
lojak is nice but I don't know how many cop cars have the lojack tracker in them. I know how in Cali a lot of cops have them in the car. But here in the south, heck some cops don't even have radar guns. They are lucky to get blue lights and gun. Plus lojack can be stopped fairly quick.

If you get an alarm that will page you when it goes off and tell you why its going off then it can help. Nobody listens to the noise anymore. But if your pager goes off you'll jump and haul ass to your car to see whats going on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This thing has been interesting reading for me as I think about alarms: The Ravelco Anti-Theft Device: it changes the wiring of your ignition so that it requires a key fob that completes the wiring to work (approximate paraphrase)... and that key fob goes with you.
Seems like a pretty good idea, and I guess it's been tested, and hired professional thieves gave up after trying for 35 minutes to bypass it or disable it (that's from the Product Information page).

Here's the site:
http://www.nohotwire.com/index.htm

Oh yeah, and I have no affiliation with them. They just sound like they've got a good product I might want.
:)

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I have two things to say about this:

1. I'm much more concerned about deterring theft in the first place than getting a car back after it's been stolen. Also, Lojack does nothing to prevent or deter a person from stealing things from inside the car.

2. I still think that the "paging" car alarms are pointless. If you're not close enough to hear your car alarm go off, what exactly are you going to do when you receive the "page" from your car alarm? Run a mile to check on your car? By the time you get out there, chances are the damage will have been done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.