Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong... I have put CAI on my last 3 cars and catback exhaust on the last 2. But look at how this car is engineered. The airbox is already vented to the fender for cold air and the muffler has a valve that opens on acceleraton to reduce backpressure. I'm sure you could sueeze out a few more horses with aftermarket parts, but its not like the car isn't doing it already. And I know its cool to have those parts on your car, but the other cars need them because they aren't engineered as well. With the money you save, you could buy those 18 inch wheels...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hmmm..I'm glad you mentioned the way the tC is built b/c I don't know any better...and I was actually thinking about adding those parts to my car WAY down the line to help with performance (NOT just because it might be a cool thing to do).

BUT, sounds like you're saying it wouldn't really help that much since the tC is sorta a do-it-yourself sorta' car.

WORKS FOR ME!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The TRD axle back is overpriced. The AEM should work well considering its actually built for this car. Not made to fit more then one model. But if you get the SC no point in buying the intake. I would spend the money for the axleback on a custom header and (high flow cat if you want to run a cat) exhaust.

·
Registered
48 Posts
unfortunatly swapping out the header's is not a good option. unless you have 60,000 miles on your car. if you live in a place that has emitions tests, and they see that you have new/aftermarket headers & high-flow cat's, and you don't have 60kmiles on your car, and can't show proof that the stock unit was "damaged" they (for the most part) have to report you, and you could get a HUGE fine. it's a FED EPA law that a catalitic convirter may not be replaced or modified from stock spec's unless the car has 60k on it (which is there as a standerd time at wich a catalitic convirter will start to degrade) or that the unit was dameged. it is unlawful and you will get stiffed with large fine's.

i know cus even in western MD where there is no emitions testing i have had friends who got caught with gutted cat's and stuck with 1k or more of fines.

the point to my ramble is that most new cars have a cat in the header, and it is pretty hard to have that one get "hit by a rock", or have it be the "casualty of running over an animal". especialy if you live in an area where they are anal about emitions.

just a warning.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
As of now there is no exhausts or intakes for tC that are worth the money. If the AEM that Scion might release one day has 10whp+ gain I might consider it, otherwise - not worth the $$$.

If you want to know what not to do, here it goes. On my last car I went through 4 different exhaust setups:

1. local shop "custom" based on magnaflow muffler - with and without resonator - this thing was extremely loud, especially without the resonator...
2. TRD axle-back (just for sound - I got it used really cheap)
3. Full header-back (tons of money, cause it was a limited production at that time for SC'd Matrix) - gave nice 10whp gain, but again was too loud.
4. Stock - as in screw the hp, I want peace!

So unless you are 16 and all you want is noise it's best to stick with stock, it sounds very nice as it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Def. add a cat-back system , it frees up hp and adds a nice tone. Also with the s/c or aftermarket turbo the hp increase is alot higher than with out.. As for an intake you get a greater amount of airflow in the engine over the restricted OEM one, also you get a cooler sounding car with the intake as well..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
hey guys, I'm thinkin about getting this exhaust for the tC, check it out, lemme know what you think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33636

I mean, just take a look at the price! How can you go wrong....the hp/$$ is unbelievable!!

JDM ALL THE WAY....YAAAAY.

To those of you who don't know of me, I would NEVER get anything like that.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
For $19, it must be quality.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
You guys are funny

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
BTW, Marty, the same auction for that exhaust is now "buy it now price: $6.99" WOW, what a steal! What a huge price break....

·
Registered
409 Posts
woo im 16 and i like the noise -____- haha no really im 16 and i like the TRD exhaust, the sound is just perfect for me, not ricey at all and not too loud or what not, that and i 0n0 i dont hink id be able to tell the difference if the exhaust added 1 hp or 10 hp, thats just me

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Sep 23 2004, 03:37 PM
BTW, Marty, the same auction for that exhaust is now "buy it now price: $6.99" WOW, what a steal! What a huge price break....
Man, I am SO THERE!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts