Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had over 2' of snow here in MA yesterday/today. We had 4 cars (2x2) in the driveway, my '05 tC next to my mom's '05 Altima in the front, and my sister's '01 Focus next to my dad's '98 Taurus in the back. Had to dig the cars out a bit as they weren't gonna go anywhere. We had someone waiting to plow our driveway... dad's car first... spun like heck... had to rock it back and forth a bunch of times before it finally broke free. Same thing with my sister's. My mom's car took it a little better but I had to rock it a few times as well. Finally my tC: even though it had to bust through about 1' of snow... and scrape/push through 2' of snow on the passenger side... it pulled out in one shot. I have every confidence in that car on the snow.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you have great confidence with the tC in the snow..you are in for trouble if you have the Bridgestone Potenza Re92s. They are awful in the snow. As soon as the tread packs up with snow they are like pure slicks. They do not shed this packed ice and the tread never opens up. They are some of the worst tires in the snow and are not designed to be decent in those conditions. Reviews at Tirerack and other sites verify this with other owners as well. Be careful of them going further out than your driveway or you will be visiting the local body shop in short order in your tC. A little 2 inch snow last week here and a short 2 mile trip proved to me that the tC will stay home when it snows and I will be in the old Caravan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Who says tC tires suck in snow?[/b]
i do.

haha jk... i took my tc snowboarding during the holiday season. i'd have to say that the tires didn't seem too bad. i was driving VERY cautiously though, for the most part. i guess i was a little intimidated by the horrible ratings on tirerack. my next set of tires will probably be the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S.

if our stock tires are 215/45/17, how much wider can we go on the stock rims? i read somewhere you can go 1cm wider on each side so ~235/40/17s? anyone?

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
The Tirerack has the recommended rim widths for just about every tire they sell. Look in the specs section for any model of tire and it will show you what the acceptable width and the recommended widths are.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I dissagree!, i live in Buffalo NY, and as you know we get a TON of snow. i didnt ever get around to getting snow tires, thought i would try my stock tires out, i heard they were bad. In the Real wet snow, they slip alot while acceletating, but any 2wd front wheel car will. I drive to a ski resort , i work there, about 4 days a week, and i have only had a problem getting stuck going up a very steep hill once with 6 inches of very slushy snow on the ground. I have driven in a foot and a half of powder, was plowing with my front bumper, and did not get stuck. I do ALOT of snow driving, and i can not say that the tires are bad, actually pretty decent. My friend has a tiburon with snow tires, and took my car for a ride the other day and said he couldnt believe how good it was, he said his car would have been sliding all over the place.- Im happy with the tires, and if the "ratings" say they are bad, TRY THEM!, dont spend 500 dollars on snow tires when the stock rubber works fine!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sorry, but your location (NY) is not a valid reason for me to accept your testimony as valid. I drive in Chicago and Canada, where snow is more than plentiful.

Even though I've only had the TC for a short while, I have driven enough to conclude that the stock tires are less than ideal for winter conditions, particularly icy roads. Even on slightly iced patches the tires are extremely prone to spin with very little acceleration.

I was recently caught on a steep icy incline in my Corolla because the douche bag ahead of me wasn't accelerating quickly enough. Had it not been for the snow tires (and my awesome driving skills
), I would not have gotten out of that jam. I only mention this because I am certain that I would have been stuck or even sliding backwards had I been in my TC, which already spins on light level-grounded ice very easily.

If you have to drive in extreme weather conditions, it definitely wouldn't hurt to invest in some quality tires. Of course, note even snow tires will protect you if you're not driving cautiously in the first place. Be safe!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I stick with my statement that the Bridgestone RE92s are really bad in the snow. Around here, we get that wet snow...no dry powdery stuff for us. The wet snow packs in the tread in the tCs tires and will not release and turns the tires into a nice set of slicks. They have no bite in cornering and will keep going straight when even driven very carefully. The Bridgestones may be OK in the powdery stuff...I will never see that stuff around here. I have to drive my Caravan when it snows and it is just front drive with all-season tires that does pretty well. The tread does not pack up. I will save my tC for better days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.