Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering who else owned a domestic muscle car before their Scion. Ive been through so many years of "anti-rice" teachings that im having trouble adjusting to these "LED Interior lights" that people put on their cars and stuff. To me, that looks ricey and tacky but of course I am brazoned with domestic pride haha. The dumb stickers and vinyl graphics, big wings, drastically lowered FWD cars with 4 black steel rims.........just looks DUMB to me! Im not trying to be ignorant here, so if someone from that crowd can come explain it to me i would love to see the other side of the coin and maybe appreciate it more!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
imho, i totally agree with you on that one.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ok what you have discribed is rice. It doesnt matter if you come from domestic cars or from imports. Its about doing to your car what makes you happy. And i can tell you from experience that its a great feeling pulling up beside a V8 domestic car and leaving him wondering how that 4 banger CRX just pulled away like he was sitting still. I am a little biased because i come from what ignorent domestic car lovers call the "ricer" crowd. I am not a ricer. I am a tuner. There is no pride in drop 30k on a fast car when you can drop 16k and make yours fast. Then again i do all my work so my car is my own. There is a differance in buying a fast car and making a car fast. And bsides, as long as roads have curves, i'll out run a V8 powered boat. Now maybe when that start building roads like drag strips adn its a perfect, flat, level, non traffic congested road between my house and work, i may reconsider. Naaaa. I'll just through on a turbo and some slicks and it'll be all good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
^^^ all about that, though my mind set is that if you want to do show you had better have the go to back it up. and of course the sound w/ it both audio & moter.

i'm a practical man, and the way that i see tuning it should go a little somthing like this.

*first when you have a new car, keep it new as long as posible. that is park it out in BFE, have a supierior securety system, polish/detail it on a regular time cycle, and stay on top of any maitenance.

*in reguard to the tuning, like i mention above, keep it practical. that is the targets that i set should be reasonable, not too much money spent compair to the car, and you should do as much of the instalation as poisible.

^* tuning particulars, first and formost do all of the mod's that allow the moter to run more efficiently and the best way to do that is to let it breath better. IE: CAI, CBE, and burn fule more efficiently w./ better spark, grounding kit, restriction removal etc... all being N/A if posible. and of corse all these mod's should be done w/ the intent of keeping that powertrain warranty, and Emmision friendly.

the way that i see things is that if you F*** w/ the fule injection, to get more power (hence dumping more gas in the chamber) then you might as well get a big block V8. as it would compleatly kill that magic of working a 4banger into a v8 killer.

the nice thing about tuning asian 4-cylinder moter's is that you CAN get the best of both worlds if done right. a MONSTER @ WOT racing that can eat high cost Euro & american car's like M3/5's, commaro's and vet's. and leave them twitching
in shock.(crowning acheavment done by the WRX STI) by simply matching the difrence of cost between the compition and that of the 4bangers.

AND have supirior gas economy on long highway/ road trips.

that is the magic of the asian 4bangers. that W/ the proper and true passion in Modding your car's, a tuner can massage wonders out of what is precived to be a small weak power plant.

ok well it's like 5:00Am here and i know that i'm ranting so i'll stop now........

cant wait to get my car.
good night...

mandrek Out

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, there's a MAJOR difference between mods that are sensible, and mods that are 'tacky'.. IMHO, tasteful mods (power upgrades, suspension, interior, paint, etc) can be done to ANY car, domestic or import. I will never understand the huge wings, LEDs on the hood, noise making 'coffee can' mufflers.. IMO, that stuff is tacky and ridiculous on any car.. But, hey.. to each his own, and really.. if you've got the money, may as well do what you want with it, even if your toys don't make sense to others!

-K

·
Registered
619 Posts
ditto

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
like others here, it seems, i have no interest in the domestic vs import fued. i have been dealing with that for too many years. i grew up building big blocks, customizing good ole american steel. paint and body, suspension, engines, transmissions, front end swaps, rear end swaps, etc... on chevy, ford, olds, etc... learned it from my old man, who has been building street rods for 35 years. imagine the initial disgust when i went to european sports cars like MG, Fiat, Austin Healey, and Jaguar. since i have made my way to japanese. not because i fell out of love with my european roadsters, but just out of pure interest in the potential of the japanese four cylinder engine. well, any japanese engine really. that there is a 900hp monster waiting to be released from within a supra... sure, i'll play with your 502 crate motor thats stacked into a 4800 pound car.
rice is mostly dead around here, and i am pleased to say that. if i see another triple stack aluminum wing off the back of a busted up, three-color transformer body kit wearing, neon underbody having, weed-eater sounding 92 accord... you know what i mean? if you cant afford to get it done right, dont do it until you can. i have seen a few "riced" cars that have deserved mad respect, because they are built extremely well, with time, energy and money spent to tune the vehicle properly. sure a few of the mods may be a bit over kill for me, but personal taste is, well, personal. i certainly dont have to agree with your style choices to recognize when something deserves respect.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ive been in the Import scene for about six years now, going to the street races back in high school was fun. I finally grew up and realized that street racing was stupid. My first Import was a 90 CRX. Since then Ive owned a 96 Htachback, another 90 CRX, a 92 hatch and currently a 97 coupe. I sold all of them after fixing them up. I bought a 95 lifted Tahoe before moving to Alaska because of the Service. After being here, its not really needed for me to own the Tahoe. So after thinking of a new car to buy I thought about the SRT4. Im not to sure about the realibity factor. So after seeing the Scion tC I fell in love. It will be a great daily driver and then some. I will still get a 92 hatch for SCCA Road Racing back in Cali someday. But until then I'll have fun with the tC.

Piss on APC and other ricer crap. JDM fo lyfe yO!

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
old school roots here!! started with classic stangs. i have no qualms wiht what anyone does to their car, its their car. its all bout the enthusiasm and heart that i like to see, and if it means some tacky stuff then hey, i can deal with that. im all about the real passion not judgementalism. caring for what u have and building it the way u like it is the reason i started dippin' into the import scene years ago. i was tired of the old foggie attitude at the classic car shows and how every single car looked EXACTLY the same. STOCK! boooooooring. so please dont let this become the same thing, creativity, individualism, and of course some taste, are traits that should be encouraged....but man i miss the sound of those old v-8s!!:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ricers have internal wars as well. It mostly applies to style, but all too often I see cars that I wish would just go straight to a junk yard. Im talking about the 3 toned paint jobs (rusty red, bright ass yellow, and primer) , the erector set wings, the body kits that have no function other than to look big, and all of those other things that are unneccessary for the car to go fast. I come from an older generation of the import scene where we like everything to look clean and free-flowing.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I went from a Jeep to a TC and i would NOT buy anything but import. nothing compares.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by SilverStreakn@Jul 26 2004, 06:26 PM
I came from a 2002 Mustang GT to a tC and wouldn't change a thing!
Haha, im with ya.....ill never forget the day one of my A/C vents popped out into my lap when I went over a pothole. I doubt Ill ever have to worry about that type of occurence with the tC. - T

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been in the import scene for about 4 years now. I'm 16 and drive a stock '94 Accord. I'm not your usual 16 yr old with an import. Only half of my tach lights up at night (its broken...), and my dad asked me if I wanted to get those reverse euro gauges for my Accord, (the ones that are white in the day and glow super bright at night) but I said no, Because I thought it was pointless. Before I got my car, I was going to buy clear bumper lenses, but I forced myself not too because they too are pointless. I'm currently saving up for tint, after that, suspension and brake upgrades. No JDM headlights, no body kits, none of that BS.

I don't know much about domestics, but I have respect for them, after all, they were here first. I hate ricers as much as everyone does. And I hate the ricer Honda/Accord owners out there. People regard us as all coming from the same breed, if you drive a Honda, your a ricer. The forum I visit most is accordtuner.com, and there are a lot of nice cars there, accords with motor swaps, mildly upgraded, making 250bhp. Yea sure, 250 at the crank isn't any thing amazing, and it certainly isn't very fast, but hey, for a 3000lb Accord, its not bad. They're are a few ricers on the board, but after they make a couple threads, the other members tend to flame them and they stop posting lol.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Wes@Jul 26 2004, 06:57 PM
I've been in the import scene for about 4 years now. I'm 16 and drive a stock '94 Accord. I'm not your usual 16 yr old with an import. Only half of my tach lights up at night (its broken...), and my dad asked me if I wanted to get those reverse euro gauges for my Accord, (the ones that are white in the day and glow super bright at night) but I said no, Because I thought it was pointless. Before I got my car, I was going to buy clear bumper lenses, but I forced myself not too because they too are pointless. I'm currently saving up for tint, after that, suspension and brake upgrades. No JDM headlights, no body kits, none of that BS.

I don't know much about domestics, but I have respect for them, after all, they were here first. I hate ricers as much as everyone does. And I hate the ricer Honda/Accord owners out there. People regard us as all coming from the same breed, if you drive a Honda, your a ricer. The forum I visit most is accordtuner.com, and there are a lot of nice cars there, accords with motor swaps, mildly upgraded, making 250bhp. Yea sure, 250 at the crank isn't any thing amazing, and it certainly isn't very fast, but hey, for a 3000lb Accord, its not bad. They're are a few ricers on the board, but after they make a couple threads, the other members tend to flame them and they stop posting lol.
Wes, welcome to the site! Sounds like you have your feet firmly planted as to whats tasteful and what is tacky when modding a car. Best of luck with your Accord, post some pictures up once you do some mods. Later! -T

·
Registered
999 Posts
Ricer is a connotated word. Basically, it all varies from the eye of the beholder. My definiton of rice is retardedness.

I saw a 2004 Honda Accord with 19 or 20 in. rims. Okay.. it can't fit, so the guy LIFTS his car. Wow, sure looks stoopid. People buy obvious hubcaps, why? So obvious, its just retarded. It's better off with the donuts and save the $10 from the hub's..

Oh oh! This one hispanic guy that works for delivery at Pizza hut near my moms dry cleaners has.. bullet hole stickers.. on his bumper. Along with the Honda Emblem (the OEM plastic one, not a sticker) on his gas tank door thingy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts