Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get a short shifter but not sure which is the most affordable / practical. I definitely want to shorten the throws.. but I know the TRD shifter replacement costs over $200 is there anything for around $200 or less but still good quality?

thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
The good thing about the TRD shifter is its just a drop in modification keeping it more simple to install then the TWM shifter..it keeps the shifter at stock height, but shortens throws up to 20% i believe..the TWM shifter on the other hand, shortens the throws but also shortens the length of the shifter by 2 inches..so if you like the height of the shifter now but want shorter throws, then go with the TRD..its a lot more pain free to install as well..but if u want a lower shifter, go with TWM..i believe it also gives shorter throws then the TRD 25-30%

ive seen TWM shifters on ebay go for about $185, not including shipping (depends on the seller i guess) if you want to go with the TRD shifter, check trdsparks.com

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do I need to get the shift knob as well though? I got the OBX one from the dealer originally, it's comfortable for me.. Can I just re-use it.??

thanks...

I think I will get the TWM and just work the install myself... I don't see the point in paying over $100 bux just to make it an 'easy' install.. In fact I'll probably learn a few things in the process...

·
Registered
843 Posts
Originally posted by mykeymagik@Mar 17 2005, 07:35 AM
I really want to get a short shifter but not sure which is the most affordable / practical.  I definitely want to shorten the throws.. but I know the TRD shifter replacement costs over $200  is there anything for around $200 or less but still good quality? 

thanks
B&M is good quality also and it shortens the throw 30%. They just released the ones for the tC and we have them on our site for $113.33 and we have them in stock.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?...20&parts_id=640

Ken

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Originally posted by mykeymagik@Mar 17 2005, 11:13 AM
Do I need to get the shift knob as well though? I got the OBX one from the dealer originally, it's comfortable for me.. Can I just re-use it.??
You can use your OBX knob.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
It's a toss up on the easier install though. Talk to my thumb about trying to unscrew the shift cables to get them off of the old shifter assembly. They were a pain in the ass. You have to have strong fingers to keep them twisted while you pull them out.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I don't think anything can compare to trying to remove the clip for TWM install without using a dremel. And I don't care how strong you are... My Leatherman Wave snapped in half.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Rick, add cost of equipment, training and experience to that and you'll get to the real DIY price

Wish I had the resources for this kind of projects at home

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
1.5 hours at shop rate of ~$135 is a tad over $200. I know fabrication all too well. If your time is worthless, (and it never is) then you can do a lot for not much. If your time is billed at over $200 per hour like mine is, an hour and a half gets pretty expensive.

Oh, making a short shifter isn't hard, making one with a warranty is.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hahahaha, warranty, never worried about it, I take responsibility for my own actions. I started modding cars 36 years ago and am still doing it now, I drive the hell out of them as well so must be doing some of it right;)

As for my investment in time, does getting a 7 page spread in Mobile Entertainment magazine have a bit of value, my Tacoma made it there, I do not think I could afford that kind of publicity for my small business otherwise:)

I expect some decent publicity from our tC project as well, even if just at shows, it will get alot of attention. Not because of rice crap either, it will not have any, it will be very classy and sound incredible, something very few have ever heard unfortunately. The vast majority, say 99.999% of show cars sound like crap, really, sad but true. I have been at shows were my daily driver, stealth install, not all that hot looking Taco had a line of people waiting the whole time just to get a few minutes inside. Every single one getting out grinning ear to ear, that my friends is one heck of alot of fun, making that many people happy.

Rick

·
Registered
742 Posts
I started a new thread in the Transmission forum but wanted to post this here as well incase not seen over there. I am glad I was not paying myself today, lol!

"As in another post, I have been building my own short shifters for some time now. The reasons are practically zero cost, I am a life long DIY fanatic and I have never been satsified with any aftermarket or corporate branded units.

This one was a bit tougher than expected. I made the lower half as long as possible, had to use the big ball peen to get some extra clearance on the center hump, as wanted the for/aft as short as possible, ended up with 65mm, I prefer 60 so close enough. I also cut the top half down and rethreaded the knob threads a bit lower, chopped off 8mm fro the top of the shaft as well. I ran extra rows of welding to build up the size of the effected areas, then smoothed them down, appox 40% more mass but I do not want it to break at an bad time. A weld that has good penetration can be stronger than the materil welded together, this is one tough shift lever now:)

The left/right is fine anywhere between 40 and 60mm, if to close it becomes hard to grab the right gear, to far, to slow. I acheived 45mm. This is done at the trasmission end of the cable/lever area. I take the unit off, disasemble it. cut it in key places and bend to shape then reweld it back and use my angle grinder, die grinder, etc, to clean it up then test fit it. Came out great the first time, sweet:) My shop is full of projects so had to do the car part outside and it was getting dark, will reshaped the cable braket tomorrow to relieve any stress points, not fun to break a cable mount, etc, during a race.

To tighten up the shift assembly I have used methods such as cross bracing, deleting the rubber gromets, ok for racing, noisy for street, and my favorite, shorten the steel bushings inside the ruber grommets, I took off 4mm each, really tightened things up but not to tight, a bit of give is ok, just a bit though.

I adjusted the angle of the lever to hit right where I need it when having some serious fun, not cool to have you hand land in the wrong place when ripping around an autocross or road course under full boosted steam:)

I am more than happy with the results .

I appologize for the lack of pics, my camerea died and the new one I ordered did not arrive yet:( "

·
Registered
40 Posts
i just got the b&m short shifter. paid $119 shipped from trdsparks and it's awesome. i looked at the twm one and the thing i didn't like about it was that the height is so short. the b&m one is only about an inch shorter than stock so you can leave your arm on the armrest and shift with just your fingers and wrist. it's def worth it.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
If it doesn't break like their Supra unit does.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Since yesterday at noon I put 1,000+ miles on, now have 1,400, with a few hundred shifts, Nor Cal, OR and WA state, some incredible roads, never missed a shift, still working just fine. Came in really handy on a few hard core switchbacks;)

Rick

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.