Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been saving for a month or two and i have about 400 dollars to spend. What is the best mod to use this money for? I was thinking that I should get the Injen CAI and then maybe start saving for something big like the supercharger. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
i would do exhaust over intake personally...would add more gains than an intake...intake is mostly engine noise but I guess I will be doing both and several other things so I would first go exhaust..

I am personally going for ride upgrades first...like wheels and tires and sway bars , springs, etc

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
1. Tires

2. Save for supercharger if you want more power.

3. Anything else to make the car handle better.

It's a total money waste to buy an intake if you plan to get the supercharger. The intake will be useless after the sc install, so you'll be selling it at a loss. The intake will not make a significant difference in power, the sc will. Some intakes have been shown to actually reduce power.

It's up to you, but IMHO, you'd be better off either saving for the supercharger or putting better tires on the OEM wheels. Wheels and tires are even better, but they cost a lot more money.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd get a "Type-R" sticker, 3 or 4 of those bad boys should get you like 30-40 extra HP. Jk, how about a lightweight flywheel? I think it may be around $400 give or take $100. I think it'd be a better idea to do a suspension upgrade before going with the SC. Actually, make that a handling upgrade, then SC: tires, suspension.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Originally posted by Plissken@Jan 23 2006, 08:41 PM
College.
Yeah thats always good. haha.

Get tires. the stock ones are not very good at all, actually there kind of sh1tty. and if you add more horsepower to the car with stock tires then you handling is going to be for sh1t.

the CAI is not a good mod in my opinion. ecspecially for a first mod. i would definitely get something were you actually feel the deference.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Plissken@Jan 23 2006, 08:41 PM
College.
Sorry plissken, I just joined the army I have about $70,000 waiting for my college. So when you guys are talking about handling upgrades are we talking about stuff like the springs and the strut bar?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
no more sway bar and possibly strut bar (which many believe that they do nothing) but springs is one of them, sway bar for sure, tires and wheels. Those are about some good handling upgrades to get you around those corners

·
Registered
413 Posts
You should probably do wheels and tires or at least better tires on the stock wheels first. Then sways and shocks and springs (or coilovers).

From wikipedia:

A sway bar (also stabilizer bar, anti-sway bar, roll bar, or anti-roll bar, ARB) is an automobile suspension device. It connects opposite (left/right) wheels together through short lever arms linked by a torsion spring. A sway bar increases the suspension's roll stiffness -- its resistance to roll in turns, independent of its spring rate in the vertical direction.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
TRD springs and/or new tires. If you have an auto, don't even bother with the sway bar; some people with manuals, however, claim to notice a difference from stock. It's up to you.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Don't have a sway bar, personally, but I have the front strut bar... that makes a big difference in handling - for both manual and auto.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by cade01+Jan 24 2006, 08:40 AM-->QUOTE (cade01 @ Jan 24 2006, 08:40 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Plissken
@Jan 23 2006, 08:41 PM
College.
Sorry plissken, I just joined the army I have about $70,000 waiting for my college. So when you guys are talking about handling upgrades are we talking about stuff like the springs and the strut bar? [/b]
It was a joke. Don't worry, I don't assume to be in a position to actually tell you what to do with your life.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by krdshrk@Jan 24 2006, 10:08 AM
Don't have a sway bar, personally, but I have the front strut bar... that makes a big difference in handling - for both manual and auto.
Are you sure it's not in your head? I have read repeatedly that the tC has basically nothing to gain from a simple strut bar up front...

·
Registered
113 Posts
What would the tranmission type have to do with body roll?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Funny you should ask. The auto has a significantly (something like 40%) wider stock rear sway bar than the manual. Thus, there is much less to gain by upgrading the rear sway on an auto.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What would they put a thicker sway bar in the auto, because it's heavier?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.