Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well cooler air is more dense..the more colder air u stuff into the engine, the more HP youll draw from it..the CAI will draw more colder air because it sits a lot lower in the engine bay..the only danger of a CAI intake is drawing in water with the air..water in the engine is a good recipe for a huge mess..so a bypass valve such as the one that AEM offers will protect you from any of this danger..

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The short ram from AEM (whenever it comes out) has my vote. Love the sound of them and since being in unpredictable weather I will stick with the Short Ram.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
It's not the puddles your worry about with a CAI. What you worry about is totally submerging the intake under water. That is very hard to do with just puddles.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I doesn't make any difference. During recent tech dickery at the track, we had to duct tape the entire hood closed (to stop any purported "cold air induction" the hood may have been allowing), so the 350 was drawing air straight off the top of the headers. Absolutely no difference in lap times-- not even a tenth. We started the day 2/10 quick with an open cowl, and finished the day 4/10 quick fully sealed.

Unless the OEM intake system is unusually restrictive (and the tC's is pretty straightforward), a CAI/SRI won't do you much unless used in conjunction with other mods that require more airflow-- forced induction, for instance.

So long as the tubing can supply max required CFM at WOT + about 10%, the configuration of the intake tubing itself is a minor concern. Look at cars that generate any decent amount of power: the temperature of the charge air is relatively unimportant (up to the point that water injection must be used to retard serious pre-ignition). Volume is infinitely more important than temperature, and if you've done no other mod to the motor to call for more CFM, you won't take advantage of it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by hamster@May 4 2005, 09:52 PM
It's not the puddles your worry about with a CAI. What you worry about is totally submerging the intake under water. That is very hard to do with just puddles.
i understand that u have to fully submerge the intake under water. sorry for not stating this before on some of those same road the streets were flooded and if i would have had a cai i would have been ****ed. also my driveway has a big dip (its pretty deep) in it and it fills up with water quickly and for me to get in and out i have to drive through it.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
What's up with tC having the same stock air filter as 1.8L Corolla, and not the bigger one like all the 2.4L Camrys?

·
Banned
13 Posts
theoretically speaking, colder air is much more dense which leads to more HP. Oxygen molecules lead to combustion when teamed up with fuel and a spark. So the more oxygen molecules you have, the more combustion will take place. go for the CAI if you have the funds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.