Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I ordered my tc 6 weeks ago and still have no more info other than, "its been ordered". when would a dealer typically have some information? (when it leaves the factory, gets to the port, etc) They just started selling scions around here back in july i think, so the guy at the dealer is probably pretty new at dealing with scions. my car was ordered from the factory, would anyone know how long it takes to ship a car from japan to the states? any help would be appreciated!

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok. when i ordered the car the guy told me it'd be about 3 wks. that came and went. and he extended it to 2-6 wks. so im just wondering if he knows what hes doing or not! thanks for your quick replys

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
yeah, i might. 6 weeks is a long time to be waiting for a SSM with side airbags. but then, one of my customers has been waiting for almost 4 months for a flint 5spd with the side bags. hmm.
yes, they should have more info than "its been ordered". well, if they want to find out more info, they can. its a matter of that car being allocated to them after they order it. one thing to keep in mind - if they run things the way moriarty and i do, they may have just had that many orders for that car in front of you. i have 3 people with $ down on silver 5 spds. so, if someone joined my list for that car now, it could be anywhere from 1-3 months, depending on whats available at the port on each allocation, and we get two allocations per month. we request cars twice a month, and then the available cars are distributed to us. some match with our request, some dont. everyone thinks we can just "order" your car specifically. but its more complicated than that, really. i cant speak for your dealer, but mickael and i really work our asses off to make sure our clients get their cars asap. its possible its just taking that long.

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Nov 9 2004, 05:01 PM
yeah, i might. 6 weeks is a long time to be waiting for a SSM with side airbags. but then, one of my customers has been waiting for almost 4 months for a flint 5spd with the side bags. hmm.
yes, they should have more info than "its been ordered". well, if they want to find out more info, they can. its a matter of that car being allocated to them after they order it. one thing to keep in mind - if they run things the way moriarty and i do, they may have just had that many orders for that car in front of you. i have 3 people with $ down on silver 5 spds. so, if someone joined my list for that car now, it could be anywhere from 1-3 months, depending on whats available at the port on each allocation, and we get two allocations per month. we request cars twice a month, and then the available cars are distributed to us. some match with our request, some dont. everyone thinks we can just "order" your car specifically. but its more complicated than that, really. i cant speak for your dealer, but mickael and i really work our asses off to make sure our clients get their cars asap. its possible its just taking that long.
thats a long wait. my dealer didnt mention any kind of waiting list, but its probably something like that i guess. Whats really bugging me is that i have no idea whats going on with my car. What kind of info would probably be available about my car?
thanks!

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
this is tough to try to decipher, cause i dont know how your dealer operates. i have an unusual relationship with my regional rep and my district manager, so i can monitor things pretty well, and get info out of them that i know other dealers dont have or usually care to inquire about. we care, so we dig deeper. my four months waiting guy has just been guaranteed his car on this next allocation, because i put my fingers into every pie i can find until i pull out the right plum, ya know what i mean?
i guess i am just saying it varies, how much info a dealer has on hand. i have info because i seek it. some dont. at the very least, they should be able to tell you how many people they have who are waiting for that same car, and what they are getting on the next allocation. tell them you want to make sure that it got "preferenced" for the next allocation.
where are you located, anyway?

· Registered
108 Posts
I just got my tC about a week ago after waiting about 7 weeks. (BSP, 5sp, no extras). After a couple of dealer's delivery date guesses had come and gone, my salesman got the regional rep to call me. I told him I thought it was odd that FedEx can track a letter accross the country and yet my dealer doesn't know where a 3000 pound car is. He said the dealers don't have access to the same info that the regional reps have. He made some calls and my car was delivered 2 days later. It may have been coincidence, but if you can talk to the regional rep it might help.

It was a tough wait, but I am glad I waited.

· Registered
10 Posts
My Tc took 8 weeks to arrive. I was told initially at the dealership that it would be 10-14 days. I wouldn't have believed the guy there except for the fact that i know someone who got a Tc there in about a week a month earlier. All of the scions at this dealership arrive bone stock into the port of NY and then are trucked down 95 to wherever. I was also told that there was no way on checking the progress of where it was which I don't get. It made for a lot of waiting and anxiety and my sucky local scion dealership didn't help. Oh well it's finally here and no grudge against the dealer ( they all suck )

· Registered
424 Posts
I got lucky. A friend of mine dated the son of the Sales Manager at my local dealership so I was able to contact the sales manager directly.

What he was doing was placing orders for a 'couple extra' each time he ordered so he was able to have one or two available for when people call. It took me about 3 weeks to get my Flint Mica. Of course, I called him after he had already ordered it. He was able to modify the request to remove a few items that I didn't want since it wasn't yet at port. If I wanted BSP, I could have gotten it a week earlier.

What I would do is call a couple dealerships and get your name on multiple lists. At the rate these cars are selling the dealerships will gladly accept an 'extra' to have on the lot to show people what they look like. I sincerely doubt they would have trouble selling the extras.

I think I still have my name on a white one arriving in a couple weeks.

· Registered
249 Posts
call me crazy but i have my name on ONE list and one only. Everyone has told me to go put my name on multiple lists but i haven't. I guess its because i know that Mickael and Damon know what they are doing. I think Damon eats, sleeps, and everything else scion...i guess i kinda have a trust in them and i don't want to rely on someone else. It's been a crappy wait but hey they said a few days (yay). I know i can wait and in the end i'm sure i'll be happier going through them compared to some other salesman at other dealers (cough...roseville...cough) who were A-holes and wouldn't give me the time of day because i'm only 19. So even tho i guess i don't have my car yet i'm still thankful they at least would listen to my questions and concerns...thanks guys!

But ya before i got off topic i was meaning to say don't get mad if your car takes longer its more time to get more money for down payment and even more time to fall deeper in love with it

· Registered
115 Posts
I would definitely check around. The dealer I originally placed my original order with told me six to eight weeks, and never contacted me. then it was ten weeks. Then it was I can't tell you when it will be here. So I called another dealer, they had the exact one I ordered on the lot and I drove it home that day.

Waiting happens...tC's are one of the most in-demand cars right now. If your dealer is awesome (like Mickael and Damon) they'll make the wait as short as possible. If they're not you're better off doing your own footwork.

· Registered
32 Posts

· Registered
6,498 Posts
There's also the fact that you ordered it with side airbags -- everything I've heard (including when I tried to order mine with side airbags) is that side airbags make the car take forever to arrive.

· Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Nov 10 2004, 09:38 AM
There's also the fact that you ordered it with side airbags -- everything I've heard (including when I tried to order mine with side airbags) is that side airbags make the car take forever to arrive.
Incorrect. ~ 3 weeks order to delivery on our side air-bag equipped tC. Ordered in October, arrived in October.

Once again: How Long Is The Wait

Look people, there are a lot of variables that impact the "order to delivery" time. These variables include the production schedule / backlog at the assembly plant, ship time / distance, and accessories installation time. Harassing your sales rep is not going to expedite the process, but it will likely piss him/her off and you could pick up your tC with a driver's seat bottom that smells like a musty fart.

Here's the facts: at some point after you order the car, your dealer will get information on the estimated time the car will reach port. AFter it gets to port, your dealer will get information on estimated time it will be released from port (where the accessories are installed) to ship to the dealership. That's all the dealer knows.

All good things are worth waiting for; I can tell you from experience the tC is no exception

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
pretty good. that about sums it up.
and speaking of having the port install the features you want, if you do that, it will certainly take longer for you to get your car. we install it all here, so its quicker and you get to see your car sooner. but a lot of places use the port to install accessories, and they get backed up on installs sometimes, too.
like i said before, its hard to answer cause i dont know what the circumstances are for your dealer, or any other dealer. you know what i am saying?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.