Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone any help? Besides getting one at a dealer where would one find one? I am just checking around on this! Thanks!!

(I have searched the web everywhere and havent come up with much btw..)

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Agreed. Ken sells stuff at prices few can even touch, let alone match, and he ships on time by the method you ask for. I could not be happier with his customer service.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Either I am stupid or I dont see it on their b/c I have looked on their page and bought stuff from them and dont see the bar on there. maybe I can email them for it.

*edit, only one I see on there is one they have laebled "toyota front strut bar". I am assuming that is it.

does anyone have any real pics of it?

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Roger, why in the world would you want it? Honestly..

I had it for couple of months - put it on eBay and got my money back - the thing is purely cosmetic, and still nobody sees it cause it's under the hood.

· Registered
842 Posts
Originally posted by r2tc@Apr 7 2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys.

Either I am stupid or I dont see it on their b/c I have looked on their page and bought stuff from them and dont see the bar on there. maybe I can email them for it.

*edit, only one I see on there is one they have laebled "toyota front strut bar". I am assuming that is it.

does anyone have any real pics of it?
That one on our site is the one from Hotchkis and is distributed by Toyota. Have them in stock.

Ken

· Registered
733 Posts
I had a nice long chat with Wes at Hotchkis about their suspension parts for our cars. I had already ordered the bar when I bought the car and I picked it up today and installed it(I do my own installs on everything;) His opinion and he owns the project car as his daily driver(once done with all the shows, etc, is that is really does need the bar for those of use serious about performance.

Once I removed the cowling trim I realized the towers are not nearly as well supported at I thought they were and certainly can see why he thinks we need it.

For those not into hard core driving you may not get much from it. My street tires are 235/40/17 Hankook R-S2's that are very very sticky, they will be my wet day tires for road tracks and autocrosses.

I will have full on race slicks for dry weather and LSD and 300 WHP so need all the help I can get it keeping it glued to the surface I will be racing on.

Even if just a street car, I would use the bar now that I know what things actually look like, I have been at t his for decades so do have a bit of experience to back up my decisions.

Rick

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn Rick,

Thats why I love reading your posts. Even over at Matrixowners you dropped some heavy information for us. Thanks for the info.

300WHP, I truely believe it from you! Cant wait to see a vid or something from that!

· Registered
733 Posts

As for the DC, I cannot say for certain as have not seen one in person, tried to flex it, etc, etc. It does look very strong so I imagine it is a good unit, best I can say for now.

If not for being able to include the Hotchkis in the contract for the car we would of built our own but that is just because we like to build stuff and save the money for parts we cannot build:)

Rick

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Maybe my input on the STB was misunderstood. I seriously doubt the average street driver can "feel" a difference with or without the bar. Spending money on the bar instead of spending money on tires and wheels first is a wasted effort IMHO.

If I were on a limited budget and had to decide what will make the biggest improvements first, I would spend my money this way:

1. Tires and wheels (nothing else will make as big a difference, and everything else combined will not make as big a difference).

2. Shocks and springs. (now that you have traction, you need to control the wheel motion better).

3. Sway bars. (You've laid a good foundation, now it's time to focus on cornering flatter).

4. Strut tower bar (You've finally got enough input going to the chassis, that it will make a clear difference).

I have a very hard time believing anyone who says they can feel the difference with stock tires. I have no doubt someone can feel the difference with slicks and a lot of camber dialed in. I also don't doubt there is a measureable difference, but I don't think it will be seconds on an autocross course unless you've already done the three things I mentioned first.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it were me (and this is the way I have done things), I would say springs/sway bar, then tires and wheels, the stb. Would getting springs (tighter ride, stiffer spring rate) and a sway bar make a bigger difference, than just adding better tires and maybe lighter tires??

From my experience with adding modifications to cars I can see how springs and sway bar make more of a difference than tires/wheels.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Put a watch on a tC. I guarantee you I got a much larger improvement from 245/40/17 Proxes than I will ever get from shocks, springs, and swaybars. If the OEM rubber wasn't so bad, I might agree with you, but the RE92's are so pathetic it isn't funny. I picked up over 8 mph on my favorite on ramp with just tires and wheels, and I'm still not fully drifting the car, so there's more untapped reserve.

FWIW, I went the opposite way with my Supra, but the OEM tires are Michelin MXX3 Pilot SX's. It's pretty hard to improve on them without running into fitment issues.

· Registered
2,144 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Apr 22 2005, 12:52 PM
Maybe my input on the STB was misunderstood. I seriously doubt the average street driver can "feel" a difference with or without the bar. Spending money on the bar instead of spending money on tires and wheels first is a wasted effort IMHO.

If I were on a limited budget and had to decide what will make the biggest improvements first, I would spend my money this way:

1. Tires and wheels (nothing else will make as big a difference, and everything else combined will not make as big a difference).

2. Shocks and springs. (now that you have traction, you need to control the wheel motion better).

3. Sway bars. (You've laid a good foundation, now it's time to focus on cornering flatter).

4. Strut tower bar (You've finally got enough input going to the chassis, that it will make a clear difference).

I have a very hard time believing anyone who says they can feel the difference with stock tires. I have no doubt someone can feel the difference with slicks and a lot of camber dialed in. I also don't doubt there is a measureable difference, but I don't think it will be seconds on an autocross course unless you've already done the three things I mentioned first.
hehe...I ALMOST did your list completely backward. It was mostly a cost thing though... sway bar and springs are way cheaper than tires/wheels. I also have a hard time justifying replacing brand new wheels, no matter how much they suck.

Also, I noticed a huge difference with the springs/rear sway bar with the stock tires. All the body roll was annoying. I don't know if I'm going to replace the wheels anytime soon, but as soon as the tires are close to needing to be replaced I'll get something much better.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
You were not competing either. If you were running in a competitive venue, you'd see the biggest time difference with tires and wheels. Since you were looking at the absolute cost, I can see why you took the route you did. My monetary restrictions are different, and I'm interested in cornering faster right now by a big margin. That's what I got. Next is Tein suspension and a more aggressive alignment, then sway bars, then finally strut tower bars.

FWIW, strut tower bars make no measurable difference on a hard top MkIV Supra, but that's because they have double wishbone suspension on all four corners.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, as soon as i can afford it i am getting new tires to replace the ####ty po-suckas.i will prob go with the same set i had on my matrix which was the kuhmo ecxsta asx tires. those were a great tire for a great price!

looks like i am not the only one that agrees on the noticable difference of doing springs and sway........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.