Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I just got off the phone with Tire Rack and it turns out they keep a database of aftermarket brake kits for each car and which wheels they offer and carry that fit on the car with those brakes. In the case of the tC, Tire Rack has the data onhand for the StopTech kit (unfortunately, not the Wilwood kit that I ordered) and I had a brief chat with a very helpful gentleman there in regards to which wheels fit (pretty much all 17", unfortunately). As a heads up, I'll list some of the ones I liked here that he mentioned:

Borbet Type TS (a bit too heavy for my tastes at 23.8lb., but pretty nice looking nonetheless)
Mille Miglia Action (nice looking but too heavy at 26.0lb.; being discontinued, so they're on sale though)
Mille Miglia HT3 (also on sale due to discontinuation, pretty nice 21.0lb. weight and o-kay styling, imho)
O.Z. Superturismo GT (an interesting looking wheel that's lighter than it looks at only 20.7lb.)
SSR GT7 (the only option on this list that's 7.5" wide, very nice looking, very light weight at only 17.2lb.--I only wish it came in some sort of five-spoke design)

Would it be too much of a risky thing to hope that if a wheel clears the StopTech brakes, it will also clear the Wilwood brakes?

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks; I tried to link each one to its page on TireRack.com but it just gave me some crap about session timing out.

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my wheels and front brakes installed; the Privat Profils (made by Konig) fit my car, even with the TRD lowering springs, and clear the brakes just fine.

Here're some pics (click them to zoom in):

Front wheels with the brakes installed.

Front wheel gap with slight turn-in.

Front wheel gap with slight turn out.

Rear wheels with the stock brakes (my rear brake kit has not yet completed fabrication by Precision Brakes Company).

Rear wheel gap.

I sincerely apologize for the gross photos; these were taken with my phone as my regular camera was not available at the time.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's page on the wheel, but it has little info. I got 18x8.5 +32mm and 225/45/18 Avon Tech M550 tires.

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by goldenchild@Jul 30 2005, 09:53 PM
I love the TC on the side...just double stick tape right?

also, how much your brakes run you and where did you pick them up at?
Thanks! It's not an original idea, but I figured it would look nice the same way Mustangs and Ferraris have their emblems there--I was both surprised and not surprised to discover other members here had done the same, but with VVT-i emblems (however, that was long after I had already applied these tC ones to my car's flanks).

You can order the tC emblems with self-adhesive backings from McGeorge Parts or probably Ken. No need to apply your own tape, but I would recommend keeping some light pressure on it for a few minutes after applying to make sure it sticks well, as the fender is obviously somewhat curved and you want to be sure the entire emblem is sticking well.

I got my Wilwood front kit for $1,085+shipping from Precision Brakes Company, it's Wilwood brake kit 140-9013. I believe I saw it for $1,075 from some other place but unfortunately at the moment, I cannot find it.

The big humdinger is labor; try to find someone who will install the brakes, and properly, without killing you for it. My dealer did it for me today and charged me ~$400 to do it!

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by goldenchild@Jul 31 2005, 07:46 PM
so whats different about the wheel fittings now that you have gotten those brakes?
Wheel fittings didn't change because I had changed my wheels and tires prior to getting the brakes put in; however, I didn't notice a change in the front wheel fitment after the brakes were installed.

As for these wheels compared to the stock ones, the fitment is very, very tight! I can see why Lance said in another thread that they wouldn't fit--the fronts clear by mere millimeters when compressed and the rears only clear because of negative camber when compressed. I think a different shape tire can tip the balance between zero contact and minor contact.

One thing I didn't mention was the change in feel; I was going to reserve my comments on this until the rear kit is put in but I feel that many people will only get the front kit, as it is the only one Wilwood offers, so let me go ahead and discuss it, using bullet points:

Wilwood brake kit improvements over stock:
-Less pedal slack travel (this may be due to a well done installation by my dealer though)
-Same initial braking force (does not increase initial sensitivity excessively, creating a car that's difficult to modulate--i.e. no excessively grabby)
-Better progressitivity (sic? As you press the brake harder, the amount of brake force increase is more in line with pedal travel; I felt the stock brakes were not progressive enough, requiring too much travel for stronger braking).

Wilwood brake kit non-improvements:
-You're not braking any shorter without better tires! (this should go without saying, but I'm saying it here anyway

Other notables:
-The new rotors are much, much lighter than stock, because the stock rotors are one solid rotor, including center hub, while the Wilwood kit has an iron contact section that bolts on to a separate, lightweight hat.
-The brakes have a more aggressive pad than the stock ones, so there's quite a bit more feel through the pedal of the brake surface (that could also be related to the steel braided lines I added from Wilwood as well), and the cross-drilled holes provide some interesting...feedback.

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by raamaudio@Jul 31 2005, 10:37 PM
I agree, the tires fit because they are not very wide on compared to what can fit those wheels. It works for you and that is cool, Lance wanted the widest possible on 8.5's so has the right offset for that. I wanted t he widest that would fit on the 8's I wanted to run, just right for my needs at 235. You wanted wider wheels with slimmer tires, works for your needs.

Again, I agree, you need TIRES to improve the braking first, then brakes that do not fad over extended hard use. And again, a truly real brake upgrade does that and should be easier to modulate, as you have stated yours are:)

Looks great by the way!

Rick
Thanks, Rick!

Still, I'm curious--which wheels did you use that clear these brakes without a problem? The shop that helped me pick these wheels indicated that it was very difficult to find any wheels that can fit the car and the brakes without issue, but I refuse to believe it's that hard, which is why I was hoping you can tell me which exact wheels you've got on your Wilwood-equipped ride.

-Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.