Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno if this is just the tires, or the wheels, or whatever, but I had to make a few quick turns last week, and the wheels put out a really loud, low howl instead of the usual high pitched chirping/squealing that I heard from my Cavi (and I used to have to try to make it happen in that car).. This isn't a peelout or anything, it's like the tires are just barely slipping on the road...

I don' know what it is.. but I LIKE IT!

-K

·
Registered
23 Posts
better tire all around. It is the same wheel/tire as the Lexus IS300. So when it is time for the car to perform on a curve, it hugs the curve with power instead of holding on for dear life and slipping like most wheels, like the Cavilar. Thus the howl, rubber melding to the road. Slippage, squeals like a pig!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Mine howl on most of the turns and chirp on a 1-2 shift

Hope to wear these bridgestones fast and get something better. 160 treadlife should make it very easy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My sloppy '95 Camry used to howl on $30 Pep Boys tires with the same sound as my tC on the Bridgestones - although it was much easier to make the Camry howl. I wouldn't necessarily attribute the howling noise to the awesomeness of the tC - I don't remember driving a car that I couldn't produce a similar sound with.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
^ Likewise, they grip very well, especially in highway driving. I've had to pull some pretty interesting maneuvers, merging and getting off ramps and suddenly realizing I'm going waaay to fast, and this car held up pretty well. I like these tires, and the winter's right around the corner, so I'm curious to see how they hold up in the snow and slush of NYC weather.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by QSJ Ed@Sep 9 2004, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't necessarily attribute the howling noise to the awesomeness of the tC
It's not so much that the howling noise makes the tC awesome -- obviously other cars make similar noises.. It's just that this is my first car with nice rims/tires! I was just thinking about the low howling sound as a result of driving on components that are better than my Cavalier.. tC better than a Cavalier? Yeah, that's obvious, too!

-K

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Sep 9 2004, 11:11 AM
I like these tires, and the winter's right around the corner, so I'm curious to see how they hold up in the snow and slush of NYC weather.
Yeah, I'm curious, too.. I'm already planning on making a lot of snowboarding trips in the rockies this season! Just thinking about it already has me thinking twice about if I want to go ahead with the TRD springs or not!

-K

·
Registered
936 Posts
2 things id like to add.

#1 The bridgestones reallllllly suck in snow!

#2 Where were all of you who love the traction youre getting with the stock bridgestones, when I was the only one defending them as being a decent stock tire!!!!!!! bahhhhh! - t

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I didn't have the car at that point, T, so I couldn't speak out of experience. I try to avoid talking out of my @ss as much as possible. As for the "bridgestones suck in the snow"........crap. That really stinks, b/c NY winters are slushy and snowy, and I've got no cash to spend on winter tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
By the time my Miata with Toyo T1-Ss makes that sound, I can't hear it anyway because I'm praying too loud.

The stock tires on the tc I tested were really bad, though they'd probably get better after a while. I do think a good set of summer tires will make a big difference in performance.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Originally posted by k_splay+Sep 9 2004, 11:58 AM-->QUOTE (k_splay @ Sep 9 2004, 11:58 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-whosthatrussian
@Sep 9 2004, 11:11 AM
I like these tires, and the winter's right around the corner, so I'm curious to see how they hold up in the snow and slush of NYC weather.
Yeah, I'm curious, too.. I'm already planning on making a lot of snowboarding trips in the rockies this season! Just thinking about it already has me thinking twice about if I want to go ahead with the TRD springs or not!

-K [/b]
I hear ya, I'm gonna be makin plenty of skiing/snowboarding trips to upstate NY this year also. Hopefully they hold out well enough for me to get around up there. It would suck to get snowed in when I'd have to go to college/work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts