Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does the term "wheel offset" mean? like i know that J&JFlinTc said that his anthracite wheels on his tc are 35. what does it mean when the numbers go up or down, like 34 offset or 37 offset? when you go to buy wheels can you pick the offset you want? is a 35 offset the best for the tc?

·
Registered
936 Posts
**DISCLAIMER** : THIS INFORMATION WAS NOT TYPED BY ME...PROPER CREDIT IS DUE TO THE LEXUS OWNERS ASSOCIATION. (see how easy it is to give someone credit for their brains??)

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive

The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative

The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
NOt 100% sure but i believe the stock wheels have a +42 mm offset which is why the hub mounting surface and spokes are right out on the edge of the wheel pushing the 7 inch wide wheel well under the car. I was looking for less offset in order to compliment the beautiful fenders the tC has. The +35 mm offset that my wheels have allow the wheel to have a polished lip (deep dish look) by doing this the wheel sits a bit farther out and even with the fenders!! Most wheels only come one way you will have to look at the different styles and see what you like and what offset you are looking for. The TRD 18's are also +42mm offset look at them and the style of the rim compared to the axis mods that you like. From looking at those wheels I believe the Axis MOD offset should be in the ball park of +35- +38 mm. They will look great on your ride
hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
42mm offset vs. 35mm offset - 7mm difference - it's 1/4" not very noticable, unless you go with 7.5" rims while you are at it, then the wheels will be 1/2" closer to the edge of the fender than stock, and that is a good difference.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Sep 15 2004, 06:54 AM
42mm offset vs. 35mm offset - 7mm difference - it's 1/4" not very noticable, unless you go with 7.5" rims while you are at it, then the wheels will be 1/2" closer to the edge of the fender than stock, and that is a good difference.
very true Zoltiz most aftermarket 18s are 7.5 inches wide

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool guys. thanks.
one more thing. J&J i know you have 18s, did it change the ride quality? i also see you have the TRD springs so it might be hard to tell. anyone else with 18s did you notice a change? i would like to get 18s because they look really nice. 19s look the best i think, but they are too heavy and prone to road damage. i have seen many sets of various 19" wheels on ebay with damage from the road eating them. 18 is the biggest i would go.

also what is the bolt pattern for the tC?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I drove the car for a week after installing the rims before the springs arrived and I noticed no ill effects, even with the springs I have no rubbing or problems wit the fitment. These springs kick ass, The ride is almost unchanged I only notice it over big bumps that it reacts tighter, but as far as the wheels I have had no problems

1 - 7 of 7 Posts