Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not the smartest guy when it comes to modifying cars. So I'm wondering what are some of the best things to do to my tC? I had the trd exhaust installed. Is cold air induction the next best thing? Or do I get lighter pullies? should I get a short throw shifter? I know all this stuff has been discussed in other forums but I want someone to tell me plain and simple what I should do. Any and all replies are a big help.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
We can't tell you what to do. We can only tell you what we have done and we have done this on numerous occasions so please do a search. You can even just read the previous posts around here and get a good sense of what we have done and what we want to do to our tCs. By the way, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There's no replacement for displacement!

·
Banned
13 Posts
Originally posted by tCnix@May 7 2005, 02:55 PM
So I'm wondering what are some of the best things to do to my tC?
I would stick to the following ideas...

1. Improve suspension geometry
2. Improve engine efficiency and power output
3. Reduce weight

The first few mods I have personally done to the cars I own and those I have helped modify have always started out with those ideas in mind. Id suggest you lower the car, put on light wheels and sticky tires, and go get some pulleys next, got mine from www.NonStopTuning.com

These mods will all make your car lighter, stronger, and improve handling. Good luck

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i too, think you should start your mods with the suspension and tires. whats the use of making big power if you can't transfer it to the ground effectivly? probably the best mod you could make is getting lighter rims and stickier tires... then lower your car....

but if your like me.. and didn't want to waste some perfectly good tires... i lowered my car before getting the new rims/tires

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I wouldn't call them perfectly good tires. I'd call them not yet worn out tires. I don't regret my tire and wheel purchase before the OEM stuff wore out for one second. I'd call a 20%+ increase in corner entry speed a total no brainer.

In fact, the other day some idiot tried to dive underneath me on a two lane on ramp when I was on the inside lane with two cars in front of me. I just applied full throttle, drifted into the outer lane, and motored around the whole group easily. No shock/spring/swaybar/alignment combination with OEM grip would have let me do that. As it was, I demonstrated just how good the OEM suspension is, and it's NOT that bad (especially if body roll doesn't unnerve you as it does some people).

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@May 8 2005, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't call them perfectly good tires. I'd call them not yet worn out tires. I don't regret my tire and wheel purchase before the OEM stuff wore out for one second. I'd call a 20%+ increase in corner entry speed a total no brainer.

In fact, the other day some idiot tried to dive underneath me on a two lane on ramp when I was on the inside lane with two cars in front of me. I just applied full throttle, drifted into the outer lane, and motored around the whole group easily. No shock/spring/swaybar/alignment combination with OEM grip would have let me do that. As it was, I demonstrated just how good the OEM suspension is, and it's NOT that bad (especially if body roll doesn't unnerve you as it does some people).
i stand corrected.... but nonetheless... i just dont have that kinda money to burn... if i had a decent job i would switch out the rims/tires in a heartbeat...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by torqypig@May 9 2005, 06:53 PM
brembo breaks!!! number wang!
^^ what the...

anyhow my first mod was a system, then exhaust, then the third brake light overlay, and next my spring wheel and tire installation. So I would say I would have to get the springs first then exhaust then wheels and tires then a system if you choose.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@May 8 2005, 11:55 AM

Personally, I'm just not a fan of body roll. Upgrading to the TRD shocks/springs/RSB was enough for me suspension wise, next up is upgraded wheels and tires... next stop being turbo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
#1 mod = Driver. period.

BUT since that isn't what you want to hear lol...listen to these fellas. I don't have my car yet. BUT anytime you can open up the induction and exhaust you will be doing a good thing. maybe not in the seat of the pants...but on the track.

ALSO...suspension and tires. These two will be my first mods. Likely the trd springs/shocks combo, a decent strut bar and the matching hotchkis sway bars. Undecided on tires yet

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Brakes are for the timid.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars, i just realized that with better breaks, you can be more faster and still have plenty of control in the end (given that you have great tires too of course). this is after playing nfsu's and gt's for several hours. and also in the highway, sometimes the car is so heavy if you need to quickly slow down, or maybe it's just my timing. plus, it looks good too for an upgrade (and so expensive), comparing to some flashy body kits and those huge mufflers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd have the TRD exhaust it made a big difference in my driving experience. First off I didnt feel any power gains, I didn't expect any though. I do however love driving it so much more now. It just sounds so much closer to its nature. Not quiet and bottled up like it used to be. Second I found the car instantly easier to drive because I could finally hear the engine for rev matching when downshifting. For AT's this isnt an issue, but it sure made it easier now that I dont have to look down at the tach to see where my revs were. I'm putting the TRD springs on in a couple days and I'm sure I'll love those just as much. Then the rear sway bar for that reduction in understeer and body roll. I also want to go with a short shifter such as the B&M. I have put 1000 miles on this tranny and finally i feel like i know it well enough to want a shorter throw. But in my book this can wait till after the suspension gets some love.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.