Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
must be harmful to the powertrain... but i just hate the first gear... the car seems slow and the engine is too noisy... anyone else feel the same?.. but i still love the car though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I also share your sentiment about the first gear ratio being a little high - the car has plenty of torque and I think a lower ratio would be more appropriate. While I'm not qualified to say for sure, I'm going to guess and say that starting in second is not a healthy habit for your transmission, clutch, or engine.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have an auto but im thinking you are causing excessive wear on the clutch......and the extra strain on the engine itself will cause you problems after repeatedly doing that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
don't worry boss i know, im not doing it... im always just being tempted when im on the streets... specially when there's an accord beside me...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm no expert, but I take off in 2nd gear all the time in the winter.. it helps the tires maintain traction in the snow/ice.. from what I've noticed, I'd say... if you're driving correctly and within the car's limits, you shouldn't have any problems! -- now I'm really curious to know what 163 lb-ft of tourque is gonna feel like taking off in 2nd.. My 99 Cavi is rated at 127lb-ft.. I think.. I get my tC tomorrow
, I'll try it out and let you know if my opinions change..

hehehe, one time, I was driving a Geo Metro (3 cyl).. I took off in 3rd gear like it was nothing! I thought it was in 1st, but didn't realize the truth until after I shifted and 4th didn't do much for me at 15 mph... it only worked cause I hadn't driven it in a while and listened to the car and made the right modifications to my technique during the first gear.. prob would have continued in 4th if I revved it high enough before letting out the clutch all the way! I tried to repeat it, and it was ugly cause I was over-thinking.. still didn't stall but it wasn't pretty, either!

Anyway, there's my two cents again.. ok, maybe three cents inlcuding the story about the Geo..

-K

·
Registered
118 Posts
OK, I've finally got my Flint tC and it's everything I thought it would be!!

SO, I tried taking off in 2nd, and it felt great! -- I wouldn't try to start a race in 2nd -- but, the car had plenty of power, and my opinion is that you can start in 2nd all you want and the tC won't let you down.

-K

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
i used to start off in 2nd in my jeep.... and then 2nd would pop out of gear a few months later, so i dont recomend it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i was wondering about that, starting in 2nd just doesn't sound safe. I know that you can do plenty of stuff to the car without really damaging it, but to me it feels like you put a lot of strain on the powertrain when you start in 2nd, or skip gears and what not. Just my .02.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts