Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, considering all the "chemicalities" of various gasoline brands that we have today... what do you think, or know, is the best gasoline for the tC... i've just read the manual and all their recommendations... but i just want it plain and simple you know, so please help... i wanna start putting in the best "food" for my baby...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I use chevron, but any gas with a good detergency rating will be fine. Don't use the cheap gas that's only as good as it's required to be.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ive always used Chevron too. Shell and Texaco own one another. And some Chevrons own Texacos. LOL Mobil is good also. No AM/PM, ARCO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You mean the gasoline actually varies between distributors??

I just assumed that gas was gas, not including the obvious differences in "Octane" level.

·
Registered
936 Posts
if you truly care about your car, remember this simple phrase when it comes to purchasing gas: "you get what you pay for"......... end of story.

·
Registered
197 Posts
...I always use BP. I don't know how great it is for the car, all I know is mom and dad pay for my gas card...so yeah, technically my car shouldn't be running on the "you get what you pay for" line I guess.

really though, follow that basic rule. it's so true.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, I am new to this site and am planning to own a tC within the next month or so....but my question is how many MPG's you current owners are getting so far and weather or not the type of gas makes a diffence on that MPG figure? I currently drive a gas guzzling truck so anything over 20 MPG is looking nice!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I don't have my tC yet, but the type of gas isn't going to make a difference on your MPG. Even if it made as much as a 1MPG difference (which it doesn't), and you drove 12,000 miles a year, you'd be saving about $40 per year on gas. That's not much when you're spending over $1k.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Actually, I've noticed a huge difference in my Cavalier's mileage between different fuels.. I've been buying midgrade fuel. Cheap gas (Sinclair, Diamond Shamrock) didn't let me get more than about 280 miles per tank -- seriously, I could push it to 300, but would be dangerously close to running dry, and besides the mileage -- I had no power! When I got my fuel at a better station (Shell, Amoco/BP) I got it up to about 330 miles per tank. But the best fuel for my Cavi is from Conoco. It will easily earn 350 miles per tank on Conoco fuel, and I could feel an increase in power over the other fuels! Actually, my last tank was upwards of 380.. because I had just done a lot of mountain driving.. for some reason I get amazing mileage after a drive up a good Colorado mountain pass!! (Is it possible for the car to enjoy the drive as much as I do?)

I've been curious what brands will work best with the tC.. but I don't recognize the brands that people list from other regions!! (good luck with my list!)

-K

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personally I've used the Arco AM/PM and various other "cheap" gas in many of the cars I've owned in the past and noticed poor performance, pinging/knocking and having to go to the shop more often than not. When I switch to Chevron 87 octane I noticed improved performance no ping/knocking and only going to the shop for oil changes and the recommended service intervals. I'll use nothing but Chevron cause personally I DID NOTICE A DIFFERENCE.

2014 Scion tC (Cement)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am new to this site and am planning to own a tC within the next month or so....but my question is how many MPG's you current owners are getting so far and weather or not the type of gas makes a diffence on that MPG figure? I currently drive a gas guzzling truck so anything over 20 MPG is looking nice!
Personally I've used the Arco AM/PM and various other "cheap" gas in many of the cars I've owned in the past and noticed poor performance, pinging/knocking and having to go to the shop more often than not. When I switch to Chevron 87 octane I noticed improved performance no ping/knocking and only going to the shop for oil changes and the recommended service intervals. I'll use nothing but Chevron cause personally I DID NOTICE A DIFFERENCE. I get a combined city/hwy of between 30-35 MPG.

2014 Scion tC (Cement)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts