Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a garage anymore, so I was wondering what wax should I start using?

I like all new car owners, want to keep my tc looking its best for many years to come.

Can anyone recommend a high quality/not expensive wax that's been tried and tested?

Thanks,

·
Registered
299 Posts
im sure everyone on here will either tell u to use zaino or mcguiar's . pple have their preferences but i'd say the majority on this forum prefer zaino over other brands.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I prefer Meguiar's. Have tried Souveran Pinnacle and was unimpressed.

Zaino is ridiculously expensive...

·
Registered
299 Posts
www.zainostore.com i think that's it... its mail order only unless ur in NJ which i think u can pick it up at their distributor

i don't think zaino is all that expensive.. it lasts a long long time ... the first time using it is a process but after that it's quick and easy...

but like i said.. its personal preference.. some like it one way.. some like it another.. u do what you like.

·
Registered
128 Posts
have the guy at your local detailer do it.

I'm so LA

·
Registered
128 Posts
I love this little place I go to on Melrose Ave just east of Fairfax in Hollywood. If you live in the area, trust me, you KNOW this car wash.

$10 once a week, with a $50 hard wax 3 times a year. It can't be beat.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's on Melrose across from the Urban Outfitters. You can't miss it.

And you are always in good company there. I've seen Aston Martins, Ferraris, and Hummers frequent this place (along with the normal BMWs and Mercedes that litter the streets in Hollywood)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm currently using Meguars NXT on my car and posted a mini-review here.

So far, its holding up pretty well. Too bad I can't keep the car itself clean, but thats another story.

Overall, I'm pleased with the NXT. I know it isn't as proven as the Zaino products since they're far more mature than the NXT. Also I can't honestly say which is 'better' since I haven't used both. I can however say that I'm pleased with the results and being able to buy it locally from at least 5 different stores is kind of nice.

After I've had the stuff on my car for 30 days, I'll take some more pictures for comparison. For now, here's a larger one of the pic in my original review: Image Link

Edit: Doh! Just realised that it has been there for 30 days. I'll run a quick rinse over it this weekend if I get a chance and take a couple more pics. Hopefully it will still be sunny outside.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I really don't believe a 14 dollar bottle of meguiars nxt would even come close to Zaino.

Zaino is work, does cost, & is harder to get.

What's yours cars appearance worth?

The shine the looks and the compliments make the Zaino worth it to me its a personal choice.

K

·
Registered
427 Posts
Originally posted by rangerk@Dec 15 2004, 07:25 PM
I really don't believe a 14 dollar bottle of meguiars nxt  would even come close to Zaino.

Zaino is work, does cost, & is harder to get.

What's yours cars appearance worth?

The shine the looks and the compliments make the Zaino worth it to me its a personal choice.

K
After actually doing some research about Zaino vs. NXT, this is what I have found.

1. NXT can be purchased locally for about $15.
2. Z2 PRO is 12.95. Add $20 for ZFX. Add $9 for shipping.
2. NXT and Zaino provide the same results for about 3-5 weeks, then the NXT quality is diminished whereas the Zaino tends to be good for 2-3 months.
3. Zaino instructions indicate far more surface prep which will result in a better surface when complete. This is true for any wax/polish.
4. Zaino can be layered, NXT has slight cleaning properties which make layering impossible. Layering improves surface appearance.
5. NXT and Zaino are compared quite frequently. Probably because they both have good reputations.

So to sum it all up: NXT has better availability but shorter longevity. Zaino isn't as readily available, costs more, but has better longevity. Either way, they're both good and it all comes down to convenience.

In my experience with NXT, I have seen the surface quality diminish over the last 4 weeks. Water beading isn't as substantial as it was when I first applied the NXT. The overall shine is still there and I got a comment about how shiny it was as recently as this afternoon.

To complicate things even more, Zaino has updated their Z2 product to Z2 Pro. Much like buying a Scion, we expect good quality because of manufacturer history, but there is no hard data available yet.

Having discovered there is a new Zaino product, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy some to test. I'll finish up my NXT review with some wet and dry pictures to illustrate water beading and shine durability, then move on to testing the Zaino.

·
Registered
264 Posts
LOL Sorry but I just have to comment on that little line under the thread topic that says "shinning" LOL Made me crack up because they did that on the Simpsons on a Halloween special to refer to the Shining (freaky flick with Jack Nicholson). LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
This'll sound wierd since nobody ever says this (plus how could you trust a guy with my lame username?) but I've tried Meg's NXT, that platinum turtle crap, and even the Blitz glaze and carnuba wax combination.

I wish I could afford Zaino though but so far the best wax I have found has been (believe it or not)......

Rain-X Ultra Wax!

It's only like 5 bucks too! I know it sounds odd but hear me out...

..when I first got my car I was washing and waxing constantly because I live inside Vegas's construction zone that is Rainbow + 215 and anything south of 215 and the dirt in the air being kicked up all over the place was such a hassle, I was constantly trying to keep it shiny. I didn't like the shine of NXT (or even the so-called "color-deepening" effect) or the shine of the plat turtle wax either. I didn't feel that they kept dirt off my car all that well either.

With Blitz I definitely like the shine but the whole two step process of the glaze then wax was tiresome. Then the layer of "protection" from the carnuba wax felt neat and made the paint glisten but it ended up doing nothing more that being some sticky trap for dirt. I remember going to the car wash and wanting to use just water to rinse my car clean (since I had just waxed it a week earlier) and the dirt would not come off at all. It was held in place by the wax! What good is this? Sure, maybe the wax would do if I was showing the car but driving around construction zones, especially with a carnuba based wax, did not work with me.

So I was looking around Wal-Mart and trying to decide what else to blow my money on that would end up not working well when I noticed everything was well over-stocked except for the Rain-X one. Only two were left. I said why not? It was only 5 bucks afterall!

Well the results are outstanding on my SS tC! It made the color so much deeper and richer than NXT (which claimed it would do just that but didn't), my car actually started looking bluer, it's that rich and the shine is out-standing! As good as, I'd say better than the Blitz combo! Not only that but the very first day after waxing I got caught behind a full-of-holes trailer with, what do you know, a hunking pile of dirt in the back on a very bumpy road for a couple of miles or more. I could see and hear the dirt hitting my car after every bump.

You know what though? I haven't waxed my car in at least 3 times, probably 5 times as long as I did with the other waxes! Yet it looks just as good as day 8 with the others (except for the side skirts where dirt can't help but collect, afterall I now take the shortcuts through the dirt instead of avoiding them for not wanting to dull my car's shine). I have sprayed it down with water alone at the car wash and let me tell you, it lives up the the Rain-X name! Most of the "troublesome" dirt came right off, 90% of it compared to 50% with the others and even now it still shines like week 2 with the others when it's in actuality more like week 8.

Don't believe me? Well I've heard of a normal, non-car enthusiast person recommending this wax after I had the pleasure of discovering it myself. How often do you hear that, a normal person! If a normal person vouches for it then it goes to show that it does work! Plus I'm telling you!

It's really good, it's not carnuba but it shines just as good if not better and the protection it offers is unparalleled by anything off the shelf (that I have tried) by a LOOOONG shot. The sheeting action is a thing of beauty, especially when you have the windows Rain-X'ed too. I HIGHLY recommend this wax.

Be careful though, the crap dries out your skin horribly so you should wear gloves if you do use it (and it warns you of this on the back too, another thing that got me to try it out....and it's a warning you should heed).

Seriously, 5 bucks...give it a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh and one last thing (to add to my essay)....

One other thing that made me keep waxing and trying new waxes was that the silver streak paint was not working well with any wax hardly. It always looked about the same after a wax, just a wee bit shinier, not much at all though.

Well, this (Rain-X Ultra Wax) has been the only wax that I used where I could honestly tell without having to closely inspect for some time (and still be unsure), what part of the car I had waxed and what part I hadn't.

I do the only half-of-the-hood eye test and always felt somewhat discouraged at the fact that there was barely any noticable difference. Well, I've heard others have the same complaint about this after waxing thier SS tC's and I did NOT have this problem with this wax. I actually couldn't take my eyes off of the car, I was in shock that this cheap wax worked so well!

I can only imagine the effects it would have on a darker, more noticable color. I was supposed to help my friend and loan him some of it to wax his black Armada.......but we are not looking forward to that big task. Although he does have swirl marks galore and I would love to see the effect it has on them! That's the only thing I am unsure about when it comes to this wax.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Higuys, you a rep or something? That sounded way to much like a sales pitch to me.

Edit: I cant believe I read everything he wrote.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well im kind of new to this forum and I dont own a tC (yet hehe) But I have messed with waxes and polishes of all kinds.

The Zaino products are excellent...but I find the price a bit steep. But for that price you get a great shine, and its one that lasts.

Now if your a little tight for money, I'd reccomend the meguires 3 step wax system. It works extremly well and I found it pretty easy to put on (of course it was tedious considering it IS a 3 step system...cleaner, polish, protectant)

Here is the process I would use for ANY wax reguardless of the kind that you use.

1. Wash car with dawn dish washing soap.
2. Pick up a clay bar kit (i got the mothers kit) and go over your car following the instructions very very carefully. If you run out of the detailer spray included with some kits, just use a mix of your car wash soap and some water in a little spray bottle.
3. Rinse off the car throughly and wash the car again with a high quality car wash (I have used the meguires NXT wash and the Mothers california gold..both are great)
4. Use a chamois or absorber (personal preference here) to get the car completely dry.
5. Apply your wax as directed (if its a 2 or 3 step system just make sure you follow the instructions carefully)

That process is a tedious one but I find it to work everytime. With wax and polishes I also find it helpful to apply the products in thin even layers. Hope this helps (i know its more of a guide than a product reccomendation but I think it will help you out)

Laterz

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.