Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be installing a new system this coming weekend (head unit, speakers, amps and subs.) I've done some digging around but just want to be clear on what I should expect:

Power:
Will be routed into the cabin through one of the two grommits behind the glovebox.

Front speakers:
The door panel should pop off with 1 screw behind the door latch. The factory speaker is riveted in and will need to be drlled out. 6.5" components will fit so long as you a) make a custom mount out of MDF or b) use the crutchfield Toyota speaker adapter.

Rear speakers:
- I couldn't find too much info here - The rear panel (3 sections) will need to come off. Since the speaker cavity is open to the trunk the sound won't be great so use coaxial speakers (rear-fill.) Again the speakers will need to be drilled out and new mounts fabricated/purchased. 6.5" speakers WILL fit.

Console:
Access to the radio can be gained by removing the paneling around the shifter first. Then up around the radio. The Crutchfield Scion dash kit will work providing you remove the xA and xB designated tabs.

Where to mount amps:
This is very much a personal approach. Since one of my amps is too big to fit in the storage compartment (foam to the right of the spare) I have made a new peice large enough to hold the amps and hide the wires.

So what did I miss?

Any help is appreciated.

CLS

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Unless you're routing your own speaker wire, you'll want to get some harness adapters to eliminate the need to do any cutting. PartsExpress has them fairly cheap. Also, a harness adapter for the HU is pretty much a necessity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Apr 25 2005, 08:14 AM
Unless you're routing your own speaker wire, you'll want to get some harness adapters to eliminate the need to do any cutting.  PartsExpress has them fairly cheap.  Also, a harness adapter for the HU is pretty much a necessity.
I already ordered the Dash Kit and HU harness. I planed on using my own wire directly from the amp. But if the rear speaker cavity is in fact open I may just use the factory wires after all. Is there a part number I should be looking for?

Thanks again

CLS

·
Registered
542 Posts
to route the power wire through the grommit, it helps A LOT if you lubricate the end of the wire to get it through. i used some motor oil, but i've heard soapy water works also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info! Thanks for the tips.

This thing I don't seem to be able to find much info on is the rear speakers. Is the rear panel disassembly difficult? Do the rear seats need to come out?

Thanks again.

CLS

·
Registered
18 Posts
to remove rear seat, just jerk up on the front portion and it will pop easily....

You could also drill a hole in the firewall and use a new grommet....this way you won't have to take out the glove box or unscrew the ecu.... and you'll use less wire this way....about a foot above the dead pedal is a small area of insulation that's cutout already...it comes out right behind your battery about 6-8in. down on your firewall in the engine bay....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.