Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so it's a friday night, and i'm in one of my 'philosophical' moods, and i'm thinking about how i can burn what little saved up cash i have on my car. but i keep on running into a few road blocks in my mind.

the whole idea of car enthuasist like ourselves is to do something to our car that sets it apart from the guy in the lane next to you. i've counted about 5 different tC's at my school (SDSU) and of the ones i've seen, the only real difference i have from them is that my car is lowered. some have a pedistal spoiler, or the groud effects kit, things that i don't have.

now the question that has been coming in my mind is do i get those things too?

we all have goals when it comes to fixing up ones cars. form over function, budget limitations, and then theres that nagging i-want-to-be-different. so if everone has the same spioler, or the same body kit, or is lowering their cars, or is changing their stock bulbs out, how does that make you any different from the guy next to you?

i guess my delemma is that the changes i've made to my car are some of the cheaper mods and it's some of first things people do their cars. if i was a millionare i could design my own bodykit, and buy the best style/performance oriented rims and tires, change the interior, and really set myself apart from all others. but the fact of the matter is im not a millionare, and i'll have to make due with what i have.

the guy that took the fog lights from the is300 and modified them so that they could fit in his tC was original. the guy that has the huge sticker on his car that we all laugh at.... at least he's set apart from us, he's different from the guy next to him--maybe not in a good way... but to each his own.

maybe the goal of being unique is unattainable. how many people have bought is300 fog lights to copy the first guy that did it? the second you do something that is different, and not totally crazy, people copy you.

so i guess after all i've typed, i've realized that i'm just running around in circles in my mind.

i have a license plate frame that reads "Aztecs/ San Diego State".... $7.00 to set myself apart.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
No matter what "original" idea I'll come up with - I'll be doing it myself. The whole idea of customizing your car is negated if all that's done to your ride is done by somebody else - it becomes a demostration of how fat your wallet is, and it's much cheaper to just get a t-shirt with your w-2 on the back (actually that idea in itself is pretty original)

·
Registered
590 Posts
what really sucks about new ideas and low on funds is when you come up with an idea and the $$$ is keeping you from doing it. so you have to sit back and wait till someone else does, then when you finally get the fundage to do your cool idea you are no longer original and now you are a copy cat. well its safe to say there is nothing new under the sun. so it seems the only way to be different is to do nothing. But what fun is that. Another way you can be different is do all your work your self. That’s free and is a lot cheaper than paying the next guy to do it. so if at least it looks like the guys next to you, you can have the peace of mind knowing that you turned the wrench and made it happen. Also as more parts become available for our cars you will be able to set yourself apart with brand selection. Its safe to say that most of us will have an exhaust at some point. But will it be Injen, TRD, Borla, or even magnaflow or dc sports. This is what will set us apart from one another. I can tell you i wanted fog lamps since i bought my car back in june of last year. then i saw what the factory ones looked like and hated them. i noticed when i first got my car that the IS head lights and fog lights looked like they would work. To be honest I never would have attempted to do the fog lights because I was to scared to spend the money on some fog lights and then it not work. But now that someone has done it first, i can learn from him so it will make my job easier when i try to do it myself. Trust me, I am going to give it a shot now. not every one out there is going to want to take off there bumper and cut up their car. I will. "I aint skeered". So don’t feel bad that you may not be 100% different then the next guy. But just keep putting you own stylish queues into your car and it will always be you own.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
the truth of the matter is, its all been done before. the only thing left is extreme customization. speaking from 20 years of building and tweaking on so many different platforms, there is virtually no way to stay ahead of the power curve when you are the average joe in your average funded home. we are all doing the same things people have been doing for years and years. the only thing that makes your ride unique is you.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Apr 30 2005, 02:21 PM
the only thing that makes your ride unique is you.
Well put.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.