Scion tC Forums banner

What type of oil will you be using in the tC?

• Amsoil synthetic oil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobile 1 synthetic oil

• other synthetic oil

• synthetic and regular mix

• regular/organic oil

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspired by the oil discussion to post this poll, as I am unsure of what oil to put into my new tC. Although there were some great answers on the other post, I'd like to see how the numbers stack up. Let me know your opinions.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I thought long and hard, and eventually came down on the side of canola oil. Seriously though, I'll probably use semi-synthetic (synthetic blend).

·
Registered
2 Posts
you have to go mobil 1 all the way...after your first 1000 miles of course. i used mobil in my ranger for 10 years and never had a problem with oil ever. you could go 10k w/out an oil change if you had to. mobil 1 4 life!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by putz@Aug 19 2004, 03:20 PM
you have to go mobil 1 all the way...after your first 1000 miles of course. i used mobil in my ranger for 10 years and never had a problem with oil ever. you could go 10k w/out an oil change if you had to. mobil 1 4 life!
Thats what I used in my focus because I am horrible at remembering to get my oil changed and will probably used the same for the tc.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
amsoil rules. not that i will wait as long as they say you can wait before changing your oil (like once a year or 25K miles), but my amsoil contact runs his boat towing tundra on amsoil and changes it every 10K. works for me. and it costs me less than mobil 1.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i voted for canola oil

i'm gonna use mobil1 since it's my first brand new car and while i'm sure that the engine doesn't have leaks yet... but i'm also having thoughts about the new castrol oil... or whatever it is (bad memory) that claims about safe-starting... by the way... is this synthetic or a regular?... doesn't say in the bottle... but for the first 3 oil changes... i'd go with whatever they put in there...

·
Registered
936 Posts
ok, please...........stay away from Castrol motor oils. Their marketing is awesome, but their products are JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mobil One all the way, great decision! - T

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I voted for canola oil just because olive oil was not on the list...

Anyways.... I've never changed my own oil before... can someone show me how to do it on the tC??? ... tutorial please with lots of pics....

I've got the jacks and the ramps.... so I just need to know what to do....
These days ... I so feel empowered because of all you guys and gals... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by imasaf@Aug 21 2004, 12:36 PM
I voted for canola oil just because olive oil was not on the list...

Anyways.... I've never changed my own oil before... can someone show me how to do it on the tC??? ... tutorial please with lots of pics....

I've got the jacks and the ramps.... so I just need to know what to do....
These days ... I so feel empowered because of all you guys and gals... Thanks!!!
Drive up on the ramps, pull the plug......unscrew the filter, let it drain out............install plug, install new filter (lubricate rubber grommet on new filter with a little bit of new motor oil.......fill car up with 4 quarts of oil, DONE!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Thanks t... but i don't even know where the filter is... I am assuming it will be obvious once i get the car jacked up... and what the heck is the rubber grommet???

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah i agree castrol is junk.. tried shell oil before too.. not pretty, was causing engine noise.. why? lack of viscocity !! I switched back immediately to Mobil 5w-30 (on my old civic).. Mobil is the manufacturer of Toyota branded oil.. For those who wanted to know..

I'll stick with regular dino.. worked well on the civic for 133,000 miles (and still running)..

·
Registered
936 Posts
haha, the filter is clearly visible when the car is up in the air (and you can see it if you pop the hood and do a little detective work:)

The rubber o-ring comes on all oil filters, its what seals the filter with the engine block. Its good to lubricate it with a little oil so that it seals tightly and comes off easily on your next oil change. Remember not to overtighten the filter, as it will tighten itself up as the engine pushes oil through it:)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I am not trying to revive a dead post here, but I didn't want to start a new topic and be a victim if you know what I am saying...

anyhow just being sure that its 4 quarts of oil that goes into the tc's engine

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I talked to the guy that sold me my car and he told me toyota used a synthetic blend....is he blowing smoke up my ass? never the less, always have, always will run Mobil 1

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have free oil changes for life... If I wanted to specify the type of oil I wanted would they do it?

I'm guessing they will use whatever is standard

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
TeK - you would be responsible for the balance due for the oil upgrade. but yes, we will always use what you want.

Eddiemoney - no, toyota does not use a synthetic blend at the factory, and i agree - mobil 1 is wonderful stuff.

Goldenchild - 4 quarts on the dot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts