Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys know i was thinkin of buyin a camaro... 300 horse, 320ft torque. Rides like a bucking bronco, thats for sure. Nothing like the comfy ride in the tC.

So what if i make my tC have 300 horse and 320 lb/ft of torque?

Its pretty easy if i had 4k.... and maybe i just saved that up for the camaro? The only thing holding me back.. is:

What kind of damage can i do to it?
Will it wear and tear faster?
Will I be blowing smoke from blown rings in a year?
Can I use it as my daily driver?
Will the power cause a drop in control over acelleration?

I'm really likin what ZPI has to offer @ http://www.racingsolution.com/products/Sci...IStage1TurboKit

Im pretty sure i dont want more power than this, so im not going to be doing anything stupid like run nitrious. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
with any boost you will have premature wear and tear. engine management helps control this. ZPI is a great choice. they have built an excellent product and their abilities are not limited. you can see that they are working on parts for the TRD SC.

LSD will help with the control under hard acceleration. a good stiff wrist and arm helps too. you can absolutely use it as a daily driver. it is really easy to control the boost.

you will eventually need to look at head work. it will help smooth things out later on in the life of the car. other can give you even more knowledge but this is what i know.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is LSD besides a trippy time?

ALSO: I want to do a header back exaust.... no cats (no care about emmissions)... does anyone sell these?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
282 Posts
You can't just use start up costs as your sole reasoning, you have to consider maintenance of whatever setup you have. A turbo will likely cost you alot more maintenance dollars over the same period of time as the SC will. The SC is far less risky.

Let's go worst case scenario. You push the car too hard (not entirely unlikely), RPM's get too high, engine blows and you fire a rod through your hood. New engine. New hood. Shop time. If you want the turbo back on and you want headwork done then throw that in. Dude that's thousands and thousands of dollars. If you've got that kinda $$$ layin' around to toss into a car, by all means, have at it. If not, you're kidding yourself.

Hell even minus the worst case scenario here you'll still want to have an LSD to help control that much power and to not break an axle every week or two. Need good tires and suspension as well.

Think man. Think.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by ND120883@Nov 11 2005, 02:04 AM
Think man. Think.
This is why I need people like you. I'm not exactly jumping into it right now.

Why do i need a limited slip? Can I replace it if (or when) my current diff goes?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Buy an LSD from Quaife (Part # 90.309.180) once you clutch breaks. After putting that much power under your hood your clutch will break. Then upgrade you clutch and put on the LSD. DON'T put on the LSD and then later on break the clutch...Shop time is about $500 at $55 an hour for an LSD. Now if you do it all in one shot it will be about $600 compared to around $1000 if you do it at different times. An LSD is the best upgrade you can get if you want turbo. I would go with a turbo if you are looking for some power run at 7psi and you will be fine. Just dont drop the clutch at 6000 rpm. Everyone that says to go with a SC is right about the warrenty but its a toyota and if you were beating on the car they can find out and still void the warrenty even if you have the SC. If you want cheap power go with the ZEX nitrous kit. You get 55 hp for only $450. If you need a shop to do the turbo or nitrous my guys at SDR in Indiana does a very good job if you are interested.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the LSD is positive traction. both wheels spinning equaly. a small turbo kit and the SC will net similar gains. the turbo will do a little better b/c it pushes more cfm at the same psi. the SC is a warranty thing and by almeans i am all about keeping the warranty.

Draxas sell a great header back but it is a little pricy. but they have some of the best exhaust packages you will ever find. i have one on my 3 before i got rid of it and it was the greatest thing i ever did to the car. it was very deep and had a great Euro sound.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yes, running on slicks. That's a lot of traction compared to street tires.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by ND120883@Nov 11 2005, 07:10 PM
so running slicks you are more likely to break an axle because they give more traction?
Sort of...I'm guessing it's because you have more traction, all the torque of the engine is now twisting the axle, which is not made to handle that much torque and is more prone to breaking with that much power.

I'm sure you can easily get 300 whp with your tC...however, it still won't be the same as a camaro. Racing from a dig on the street will be fruitless, and on the track, you'll need some good tires or possibly slicks. And probably a lsd to prevent you from spinning like mad everywhere

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by mrbrace+Nov 12 2005, 08:35 PM-->QUOTE (mrbrace @ Nov 12 2005, 08:35 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-gotTC?
@Nov 11 2005, 06:08 PM
didn't the zpi kit break an axle, or some other tranny part on their test car?
I think it was the drive shaft [/b]
Wrong... axle.

Also, the location where the axles have been going bad is the hub. I confirmed this over the past little while and they've all been twisting/snapping there. This is also after having a high-clamp force clutch and drag radials. On a stock clutch and stock tires, you'd either be slippin that clutch or spinning those tires.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I should have no major problems after I get the LSD.

What if i replace the steering stabilizer with a much stiffer shock? This would help with torque steer, am I right?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the support. Does anyone know if replacing the steering shock will help with torque steer?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.