Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv'e had my car for a little over a week now. I figured I'd post a run down on the car for any potential buyers. This is all IMO, make up your own mind about the car.

1. It's not fast. I didn't buy mine to be fast I bought it for economic purposes. The car has a little giddy-up in 1st and 2nd but I wasn't very impressed.

2. I got the 18" wheels and I have to say it really looks sharp.

3. I plan on changing the dash lights to blue (already ordered them) I don't care for the amber.

4. The stereo is ok if you switch it to xB setting. If your not big into music it is sufficient. I am changing mine out to FOCAL and Alpine components.

5. I've put two coats of Zaino polish on it and all the posts are true...the stuff is REALLY good.

6. Ground effects kit looks pretty good.

7. I think the ped spoiler looks great.

8. The Neon lights are put on like crap and will need to be moved. The cup holder lights are cool with a water bottle on them.

9. It rides very nice I didn't lower mine.

10. The black is really hard to keep clean (like any black car)

11. The OBX shift nob is crap..the pedals are nice.

12. I like the doorsill things they look nice.

13. Short shifter is ok.

14. The TRD exhaust sounds awesome a must buy.

Thats about all I can think of right now..Hope it's helpful to someone

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
One thing, about your fast comment, it isn't fast but it is quick for city driving, definately fast compared to a 117hp honda civic though....

Im impressed to see someone else that enjoys Focal components, i was really impressed with them

Also, i love my TRD exhaust too

I have 500 miles on my car, and the radio has been changed, and a subwoofer and amplifier added, alpine type Rs are in the works...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by Greenhayabusa@Jul 23 2005, 01:16 PM
Iv'e had my car for a little over a week now. I figured I'd post a run down on the car for any potential buyers. This is all IMO, make up your own mind about the car.

1. It's not fast. I didn't buy mine to be fast I bought it for economic purposes. The car has a little giddy-up in 1st and 2nd but I wasn't very impressed.

2. I got the 18" wheels and I have to say it really looks sharp.

3. I plan on changing the dash lights to blue (already ordered them) I don't care for the amber.

4. The stereo is ok if you switch it to xB setting. If your not big into music it is sufficient. I am changing mine out to FOCAL and Alpine components.

5. I've put two coats of Zaino polish on it and all the posts are true...the stuff is REALLY good.

6. Ground effects kit looks pretty good.

7. I think the ped spoiler looks great.

8. The Neon lights are put on like crap and will need to be moved. The cup holder lights are cool with a water bottle on them.

9. It rides very nice I didn't lower mine.

10. The black is really hard to keep clean (like any black car)

11. The OBX shift nob is crap..the pedals are nice.

12. I like the doorsill things they look nice.

13. Short shifter is ok.

14. The TRD exhaust sounds awesome a must buy.

Thats about all I can think of right now..Hope it's helpful to someone
Well, as an old timer, I guess I must add my perspective. I have had mine for one year plus almost two weeks. Here is my response (and keep in mind that it is not a bitch at yours):

1. It is not as fast as my BMW Z3 3.0 that I had to let go, but it is much faster than I would have thought, given that it is a 5 sp manual.

2. Still have the 17" wheels. Not sure why I would have wasted money on anything larger. These are pretty nice rims for OEM. Heck, they are much easier to clean than my BMW rims.

3. Yeah, the amber lights suck. But after seeing several friends f' up there lights, I decided it was not that bad. Besides, I don't drive that much after dark anyway.

4. I guess it depends on your age. My ears are shot from too much rock and roll and no protection during the firing of large caliber weapons w/o ear muffs. I listen to classical, and I think the stereo is just fine. As well, it plays the Dead Kennedys nicely.

5. No doubt. Maguires does nicely as well as does KLASSE.

6. Errr. No. I guess it is a personal thing.

7. See 6.

8. Could not agree more. Putting a water bottle in there, however, blocks the lights. Leave it clear for the best effect.

9. Yup!!!

10. For sure.

11. To each their own. The mesh OBX knob is superb. Would not even consider the OEM knob. The OBX pedals are superfine.

12. They are door sills. I never see them. I just use the OEM ones. Waste of money otehrwise IMO.

13. The short shifter does not work for me. You need to try it before tossing in the money. THanks Zolitz!

14. Ack. Would not touch it. Still sounds like a 4. No real HP benefit.

The moral of the story -- try to see/hear what it is people are talking about befire spending your own money. Your'll be happier!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
47 Posts
After a month a few comments:
1)the OBX pedals and shifters are very nice, much nicer than expected and not expensive either
2)the amber dash lighting definately does suck (Mazda3 and new Eclipse has nice blue lighting) but is beginning to grow on me
3)Waxing your car within the first few weeks is very bad on the paint, it takes a few weeks to cure. Just this week I put a coat of Klasse All in One and Sealant, the Sealant is extremely difficult to buff off though (I'd read it was but had no idea it was that much) but does a nice job and is supposed to last a ong time.
4)The rims do get dirty with brake dust very quickly, I put some Poor Boy's brand wheel sealant on this week and it gave them a nice shine but took about 3hrs of work and was a real pain to do. I found Autogeek.net to be the best place to get car wax, detailing clay, and stufff like that.
5)I actually like the look of the 17" rims better than the 18' rims, and you save about $1500
6)The ride is much stiffer than I expected, it has sport tuned suspension and I do really feel all the bumps in the road (for some reason I didn't when i test drove one). Combine it with thin tires and some cheap, rather stiff seats and it makes for an uncomfortale ride for sure. Although with the suspension and seats breaking in it is helping a little, and maybe I'm starting to get used to it a little too.
7)the air conditioner is extremely slow to cool down, probably the worst air conditioner you'll find in any new car
8)the arrangement of the headlight, windshield wiper, and cruise controls is a little awkward to get used to at first
9)I went with Flint Mica on the recommendations made on the boards and don't regret it one bit, it is truely a very nice color- probably the best
10)I went with the pedestal spoiler just because the lip spoiler wasn't enough and I figured there would be less problems with a factory spoiler, it ended up being much nicer in person than in the pictures and is so nice I just couldn't picture my car without it.
11)I wish I had gotten Scion Security, nobody else in my area installs a security system that will work with the factory keyless entry (although many other areas have people that do) and giving up the nice keys we have to stick with the Valet key is not something I'd like to do
12)When i turned the sound system's mode to feel, it made a huge difference in quality.
12)Besides some of these issues (stiff ride, dash lighting, and poor air conditioner) it really has turned out to be a nice car, probably the only car you can get for the price that doesn't have the look and feel of an econobox. Probably the nicest looking car on my block and rivals my boss's brand new BMW 6 Series Coupe in some ways (his is just a bit more conservative looking and has things like HIDs and a computerized navigation unit). Strangers think I paid more for it than I really did and it is a joy to go cruising in. I especially like the layout of the center console.
13)The gas mileage has been surprising easy on my wallet coming from a supercharged V6 too.
14)The only other cars I'd consider as a replacement are the new Ford Mustang (except for Ford reliability issues) and the new Mitsubishi Eclipse (kind of a chick's car though.) My next car just might be a Prius though, future models are only likely to be cheaper, nicer, and more fuel efficient (2004 models are already nice, cheap, and efficient enough.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i feel the need to explain my opinions on a few things now. Don't get me wrong I don't feel attacked, just want to explain myself. When I was waiting for my car I watched this board very carefully and appreciated any honesty I saw about the car good and bad.

About my not fast comment.....the car isn't fast period. I know what fast is. Just look at my handle. That's fast. If I wanna go fast I can. Apples and oranges I know but if I wanted a fast car I would have gotten one. I think sometimes people want to make more of this car than it is. Don't get me wrong it is a great car but I wouldn't try to tell someone they are getting a fast car is all. Can you make it "fast"? That is yet to be seen. They can get Supras to beat Hayabusas so we will see. I may be wrong here because my bike has me thinking on another plane. This car (and what I think most people are saying is) may very well be fast for it's "class". I just dont want new buyers to think they are gonna be as fast as a......jeez I dont know........let's say a V6 Tib for example. My mother has one...Im 33 and dont live at home so dont think my mommy has one...lol. Actually I really like hers it's pretty nice sits real low stock. Im not saying the Tib is scorching fast either but it is faster.

I read another post about the MINI Cooper. Motor Trend one I think. Well I was between the MINI and tC. The MINI is a really cool car. Now that's IMO. Some people hate that car as much as I hate the xB. To each his/her own, thats the beauty of the world. The tC just had more stuff for the money and MINI dealers are a-holes. Sold me on the tC. The MINI was very cool and fun to drive but I could see that fun turning into more of a PITA for daily commutes.

As far as my comment about the shift knob. Mine is loose on the top. The top portion of it is "shifting" and I havent tried it but I'm pretty sure those allen wrench heads are for show...boy wont I feel stupid if they aren't. It's not only the allen head portion though it is the whole top hemisphere of the ball. I'm pretty sure after only a few weeks that shouldn't happen.

All in all I am very pleased with this car. I like it more than any car I've ever owned. I think if your buying one you will enjoy the car too. I just wanted to let ya know what the car is really like and not what I want it to be just because I own one. Someone said it best earlier....don't have the direct quote in front of me but......Do what you like, your paying for it. Don't just buy something look and test it first if you can.

·
Registered
243 Posts
ok guys i havnt gotten my car yet, (ON WEDNESDAY WAHOO!) but during the test drive, i discovered i like alot of the stock things. I've been driving on a car with leather everywhere, and i was worried i would be used to it. I was concerned that when i drove my tc, i would think it was cheap by comparison, but there was no such feeling. i like the seats, the steering wheel and since im on an automatic, i like the shift knob (im not going to touch it that often, and it looks out of place on the automatic.) i didnt really want to just toss out these really nice componants by getting new ones. if you are going to be on a manual, you probebly will want to replace the shift knob, but for autos, its not worth it.

in my opinion, the car is nice stock; all you really need are floor mats, and new tires.

also don't overestimate this car, it is a daily driver, even though it is technically a sports coupe, i feel that it is more of a really stylish standard car. it is a great value and is a pretty good compromise between a sportier car like the mitsu eclipse and the ultra practical camry (or corolla) also it isnt as much fun as the mini cooper, but it is much more practical (and cheaper) this car is a great value

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yeah same with me, these are some very interesting opinions... I'm looking forward to comparing them to my own when I get my car this weekend. WOOHOO!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I wanna say something about the Air Conditioner comment made by fromos. I live in Tampa, and although I've been away for the last 2 months, when I left it was already reaching into the 90's, and with the high humidity that is common, the heat index was reaching into the 100's. I had no problem with the AC taking a long time to cool down. It made the air nice and cold in what I think is a reasonable time even when it was really hot in the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll back up Azrael on the A/C. I did a write up on my impressions of the car in another post...I forgot about this part. While test driving the auto we got held up at a train crossing. Prior to that we had the windows open so I could hear the car run. It's was 90 out and humid...stuck at the crossing we rolled up the windows and turned on the A/C. It was a none event...which is a good thing. Neither my wife nor I noticed anything out of the ordinary...so it must have cooled down in a comfortable amount of time...which is probably why I simply forgot about the incident.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Let me clarify about the air conditioner: it WILL work, just won't work fast. I don't think you can find a new car that will cool down your car any slower. I work 20 minutes away from home and on a 90+ degree day it takes 10-15 minutes to cool down to a comfortable temperature. I read that the engineers re-did the AC in 2005 because it was too noisy, having redone it must have weakened it a little. Having an all glass roof and black interior really heats up the inside too, probably a lot more than any other car. Sometimes on really hot days I open up all both doors and windows, the sunroof, and hatch just to let air pass through it for a couple of minutes before I start driving. Keeping the windows and sunroof down for a few minutes at first to get the hot air inside out is a must. I usually don't put recirculating on until it's been going a few minutes because the air outside is a bit cooler than outside at first.

I didn't buy the car to be fast, if I did I would have bought a V-6 and of course would be paying much more in gas. It is a bit lighter than most cars and has a good amount of torque so it does have a bit of zip from a dead start, but not a ton and that's about it as far as speed. I'll never put my car on a racetrack and am not stupid enough to gamble with my life or others (or my insurance rates) on the road.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I agree about the a/c. I suspect my IIP is on the TSB list for being undercharged. Our FM is pretty good, even at 107 degrees. The IIP has to be set full cold and recirc on hot days, and I too leave the sunroof cracked to let the hot air escape while I'm trying to cool off the car.

The Supra blows cold instantly and hasn't been serviced since '99.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.