Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my dealership has a deal for free tires for life. The only catch is that it is for non Z rated tires only. Can I get away with the highest performance non Z rated tires on my tc? I don't want to turn my car into a camry, but i would like free tires. Will it make a big difference? Is anyone running non Z rated tires right now? Thx for your support.

Btw: the non z rated tire deal is because people are stupid and burn um out in 8 months or so.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
The car will be fine with non-Z rated tires. I would recommend H rated tires though. They will be able to take the tC's top speed indefinitely where a lesser tire would build up heat and shred if you decided to drive all day against the top speed limiter.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about v, w, and y rated tires. they have um on tire rack so im not sure.

whoa! i just realized that all the tires i've been looking at arn't z rated. they are w rated. that means i should be able to get the tires i want for free. sweet! ill check on that to be sure.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
v, w, and y are all rated for higher speeds than H. I would call H the minimum.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Lots of overkill. I worked at a Tire Factory shop until a few months ago and people that insisted they MUST have Z rated tires always made me shake my head. Z rating means 149+MPH continuously with no ill effect. I doubt any of us maintain much more than 80 for very long.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
That's why I said an H tire would be fine under ANY circumstance. With top speed limited to 127, an H rated tire will never even be stressed by the tC.

·
Registered
347 Posts
However the speed rating also applies to heat and friction resistence does it not? I'd say on hot summer days traveling at high speeds the heat and friction buildup on tires is not to be underestimated.

While driving the other day, fairly normal, squealed going thru a few corners, my tire pressure warning light came on! It didn't feel like a had a tire going down so I drove to the closest station to check and fill it. My pressure gauge said the front left tire was at 22 psi ,while all the others were at or around 28-30. And the F L tire was extremely hot. Anyway I filled it up and it seems to be holding, sO i have to imagine...I don't know what my point was anymore, think I might have heatstroke, oh well. later

·
Registered
509 Posts
That tires for life program isn't all that its cracked up to be.
I got the same deal with my car. Now here are the terms. You have to have all service done by the dealership (so you pay more money) They give you the cheapest tires possiable (most likely the tires that came with your car).

My neighbors had it with their Matrix, had 6 nails in the tire and the dealership wouldn't replace it. Said the tire was still good.

I would say get some better tires on there so that your safe.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow thats a good point, if they would be willing to give me non z rated pirellis, like i have now, i might be willing to go through them, but i doubt it. they dont give out the stock tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.