Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea what tC stands for? (If anything)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I can't remember where I read it (I think it was an article from testdrive.com or something like that)....but they talked about the "tC" name.

The article mentioned (sorta' as a sidebar) that Toyota/Scion couldn't use xC (to keep with the whole xA, xB thing) because another car had XC in it's model name. I'm guessing the "t" just came from "Toyota" but, then again...why wouldn't they make it an "sC"?

/Shrug

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I don't believe what I've read about not using "xC" because it was being used by Volvo ...when I first saw people talking about that, I did a quick search and found that there was the Chysler TC... but you never know... the Volvo is a current car, while the Chrysler model was made in the 80's I think...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Toyota already uses the sC on the lexus sports coupe, which is the SC430, it's been around for ages.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
the chrysler TC was discontinued in the early 90's, and they basically changed the name to the LeBaron, which is the same exact car. I also think the Chrysler TC was a colloboration between chrysler and maserati, which at first I thought was kinda cool, but realized later the car was lame as can be.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that maybe Toyota was replacing the Celica so they thought of Using TC for Toyota Celica. Maybe it's the next generation.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Originally posted by Eric@Jul 8 2004, 05:49 AM
I don't believe what I've read about not using "xC" because it was being used by Volvo ...when I first saw people talking about that, I did a quick search and found that there was the Chysler TC... but you never know... the Volvo is a current car, while the Chrysler model was made in the 80's I think...
actually chrysler TC is still around. It stands for Town and Country (miniVan)

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The Chrysler TC and the Town and Country are not the same vehicle -- one was a coupe (the predecessor to the LeBaron, like whosthatrussian said) and the Town and Country minivan already existed at the same time as the Chrysler TC did...

My bet would be that "tC" means nothing...just like "QX4" or "850i."

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Point taken -- I guess 850i isn't totally arbitrary like QX4, but it's still basically a bunch of random descriptors...

·
Registered
197 Posts
QX4 means something, I just forget what exactly.

Most the "random letter/number" things mean something. All BMW "random letters" are not that at all. First number is the series, 3, 5, 6, 7, etc, and the last two are the engine size. Any numbers that follow are descriptive of the type of engine. i means fuel injected I BELIEVE (remember, BMW's an old company). X was all wheel drive, C convertable, s for sport...etc, etc.

Lexus does the same. the first 2 letters describe the car type, last 3 numbers are engine size. 430 for 4.3 liter, 300 for 3 liter, etc.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hey guys! I went on to the scion chat and asked "DAVE" what tC stood for. Here's my conversation copied and pasted:

Please wait for a Scion Customer Advocate to respond. You are number 1 in queue.
You are now chatting with Dave
Alex : hey Dave
Dave: Hello.
Alex : what does tC stand for?
Dave: How may I help you today?
Dave: Touring Coupe
Alex : aha!
Alex : great
Alex : ok, that was it
Alex : short and sweet :c)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hmm... I like to add that that the tC stands for...

Totally Courageous - On Scion's part
Totally Contageous - On our part
The Car - Cause it is "The Car" of the year... of the millenium... (ok maybe a stretch)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Ok... I thought of one more...

That's Crazy = Its such a good value... thats crazy of Scion to let it go for that...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts