Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what a flywheel does exactly and what diff it would make on the tc?

· Registered
221 Posts
the flywheel is a large gear connected to the crank of your engine. it's where the tranny meets the engine with either a clutch or torque converter, depending on your tranny. a lighter flywheel means less rotational mass on your crank allowing you to rev faster and drop rev's quicker, letting you shift faster. however, if you get a flywheel that is too light, it can be a pain to drive the car, as it will drop rev's fast as soon as you lay off the gas. unless you're looking to make the tc a track car, stick with the stock flywheel, it's good enough for most spirited driving applications.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by doock87@Mar 20 2005, 05:32 PM
the flywheel is a large gear connected to the crank of your engine. it's where the tranny meets the engine with either a clutch or torque converter, depending on your tranny. a lighter flywheel means less rotational mass on your crank allowing you to rev faster and drop rev's quicker, letting you shift faster. however, if you get a flywheel that is too light, it can be a pain to drive the car, as it will drop rev's fast as soon as you lay off the gas. unless you're looking to make the tc a track car, stick with the stock flywheel, it's good enough for most spirited driving applications.
Doesn't sound like you've actually owned one. There's a huge difference in acceleration between the typical 30 - 40 lb Toyota flywheel and an 11 - 15 lb flywheel. I definitely wouldn't call it a track only mod, it was one of the best mods I did to my Supra.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
SMTP engine is screwing up again Eric. I immediately got and SMTP error, hit back, clicked on the submit again, got a throttling error, then finally a post. That's why we're seeing all these multiple posts right now.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Don't even need to start over, the error message is misleading. It actually accepts the post, it just doesn't acknowledge accepting it.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
That works.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Back to the question, would you recommend this mod for the tC, lo bux? Also, how hard would you say this mod would be for a noob like myself?

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Not a noob mod. You have to separate the engine and transmission as if you were replacing the clutch, and you usually do replace the clutch at the same time. Yes, there would be benefit to doing it, but it isn't something I'd do right away, there are lots of other things to spend your money on first.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Oh okay, Thanks for the quick response. Speaking of relatively noob mods (Offtopic) but is the AEM intake out? Cuz one of the aftermarket accessories website (which was posted in another thread today) is supposedly selling it...

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so if u're gonna do the flywheel you should do the clutch as well, right? these aren't things that i should probably try to do myself probably. what would u recommend doing before this. i've done the sec wep intake with ram air kit, trd exhaust, trd springs & sway bar, b&m short shifter and some appearance mods. as far as performance stuff goes, what should i do next?

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Wait for either the TRD supercharger or the Scionspeed turbo kits. There is nothing you can do as a n00b that will help you more than these will. That means save your money, check my sig, I'm dead serious about most "performance" mods.

· Registered
125 Posts
so you're saying a lighter flywheels will allow faster revs. gosh, i already thought the gearing on the tc was kinda short. i drive my friend's ep hatch sometimes and its not as fast reving up. so you're saying if i get a lighter flywheel it'll make it rev up even faster. is this affecting the gearing in any way?

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
No. It just reduces inertia.

· Premium Member
16,847 Posts
You can buy the ScionSpeed Turbos already. Here is the link to the store. Its just the actual frame so if you want to see the whole page just go to ScionSpeed webpage.

· Registered
112 Posts
This modification has always interested me. I've never driven a car with a modified flywheel but the things ive heard seem like it would make a good improvment. Hey lo bux, since you changed the one in your supra I was wondering about the driveability issue. Did you have to change your driving pattern to accomodate the loss of inertia? If you had to increase revs to compensate, do you think this has a big effect on clutch life? Also coming from my supra to the tC I noticed the pedal pressure on the clutch is very soft. Do you find or is my supra just a hard @$$? Also do you think that a clutch kit with a stronger pressure plate would make the pedal feel a bit stronger/more what im used to. Thanks for the insight.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
The tC is soft like most others in the class. The HKS triple I had in my Supra was even softer. The stock single plate, and all the other single plates I have driven are much harder than the tC, and they are pretty hard ass.

A tC clutch with a stiffer pressure plate will undoubtedly feel stiffer at the pedal. I am not convinced this clutch will last as long as my original Supra clutch (106k).

I put a Mueller flywheel with an RPS carbon claw in the Dawg. Yes, I had to be more prudent and use good technique driving it. No, I didn't have problems with stalling (until I put the HKS triple in, then I stalled a lot), but yes, you do have to feed the gas faster than you would with a heavier flywheel. You won't be able to just slowly release the clutch and drive away as you can now. The big plus is you'll immediately notice a huge improvement in throttle response from the weight reduction. I like it a lot.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.