Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
For a good entry level system that is great. For the average user that will provide great results. However, you can get most of that stuff on ebay for probably 300 less or so. Also that sub combo won't do a whole lot of booming if you are looking for that.

·
Premium Member
16,847 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jul 17 2005, 03:27 PM
However, you can get most of that stuff on ebay for probably 300 less or so.
What is a warranty worth, though?

·
Registered
347 Posts
all that equip is quality, but i question whether u really need all that. The stock speakers in the tc aren't too bad, at least the fronts are nice. But i think eddiemoney is right, that amp/sub combo wont really give you that much low end bass. If Alpine wanted to hook much up with a sponsorship, I'd surely take all that stuff, but otherwise 1000$ is too much to spend for stuff you don't really need. A nice HU, amp and sub(s) should do just fine.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I have never needed a warranty on any audio equipment. You will usually get a year. If you blow your audio equipment in a year you aren't playing with it right
Plus is an extra 30%-50% in intial cost worth the warranty....not in my miund unless everything goes to the crapper....

·
Registered
680 Posts
The Alpine component speakers are definately an upgrade!! Just ask Wolo, Eric or Moriarty. I installed those same speakers in each of their tC's and they sound great. Eric is only running deck power from his 9835 while Wolo and Mori are running an amp to them. Either way, they absolutely sound better than stock. Better mid-bass, cleaner mid range and crystal clear highs.

As far as eBay goes, you may get a deal on the product but you will not have any sort of warranty through Alpine. Your only recourse if the product fails is through the original retailer you purchased it through. Usually eBay sellers do not offer much if any warranty period plus you usually have to pay highly inflated shipping charges just to get the stuff to your door.

The only online retailer that is authorized by Alpine to sell our products online is Crutchfield. If you buy them elsewhere, you will not have a warranty...PERIOD!!!

Many of these products sold online through unauthorized channels are Grey Market goods or may have altered or removed serial numbers. Grey Market good have come from other countries and were not intended for sale in the US. This may mean that you AM/FM tuner will be set up for european stations and other products may not conform to US standards as well. Altering or removing serial numbers is a crime and if caught with such items in your posession, you could be charged with receiving stolen property, even if you were not the one who altered it. Is it really worth the few bucks you'll save?

I highly recommend purchasing Alpine products from an authorized retail store or from Crutchfield if you order it online. Crutchfield is actually a pretty good deal. That system they are offering includes a sub enclosure, an amp kit, dash kit and harness as well as speaker kits and excellent tech support for the DIYer'. A retail store would charge $150.00 or more to purchase all of these additional items. They are even upgrading you to the 12" woofer versus the 10" we advertised this system with. Plus shipping is very reasonable. All that, and you will have a valid warranty as well. You just can't go wrong with Crutchfield.

BTW - All components of this system will fit the tC. The reason why they say it won't it won't is due to the rear speaker size being a 6.5" versus the 5.5" factory. They do not have a rear speaker kit that will fit a 6.5" for the tC, but I do and will be happy to sell them to you for a reasonable price. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Actually if you buy each of these Alpine components from Ebay, the seller always provides the same warranty (1 year). i will probably get this 1k alpine award winning system for my tc, 99% sure. by the way, Crutchfield is such a rip off, take a look at the prices for these components compared to Ebay.

i know that i can get this 1K award winning Alpine system for less than $500 with full 1 year warranty from Ebay. Crutchfield is a ripoff. Its just like ordering accessories from scion dealership and paying almost twice as much compared to just ordering the parts from trdtoyota.com and installing yourself.

By the way, Alpine is a very good brand, you will not need that warranty anyway. No way in hell your product will fail in 1 year.

·
Premium Member
16,847 Posts
I don't know whether or not you really get a warranty with those products from Ebay because I never shop there but Alpman works for Alpine so he would know the details of the warranty. Paying extra for warranty is a personal preference I suppose.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sure the advertised price on ebay is usually much lower than, say, Crutchfield. HOWEVER, in most instances, the eBay seller will charge you some hugely over-inflated amount for shipping. Which, in a lot of cases, will bring the price right back up to where it would be from a normal retailer anyway.

And unless the auction is a "Buy It Now," I really don't want to deal with the possibility that some unscrupulous seller is going to bid against me just to raise the final selling price...or some dildo that waits and watches till the absolute last nanosecond and outbids me.

FWIW to me, I'd rather just purchase from a proven seller like Crutchfield, or my local authorized seller and avoid all these intangibles.

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's not a matter of paying extra for a warranty you should have gotten from the factory in the first place. What about that brand new tC your driving? Would you have purchased it at a discount price from some online guy you don't even know and could never track down? How about if the VIN number was removed and the warranty was completely void and could never take it to a Toyota dealer for service?? You purchased this car for many reasons, and I'm willing to bet one of them is Toyota Quality...right? But where would that quality be if you didn't have a warranty backing it up? And I'll bet many of you purchased extended warranty contracts as well. Don't tell me a warranty is not worth anything.

I guess it all just depends on the level of service you expect from the retailer. How much frustration and heartache as well as lost time is it worth to you to save a few bucks? Isn't that money worth the peace of mind knowing that if something breaks your covered? Alpine is a premium brand and our failure rate is one of the lowest in the industry. You may not have to ever use the warranty, but then again, things do break sometimes. Do you really want to take that chance???

Here is an example of the kind of "warranty" you might find through an eBay retailer. Remember, you have to deal w/ this guy now since you chose to buy it from a non-authorized dealer...

"Our Warranty provided by ***********:

We exchange/repair defective merchandise for the same model under the following conditions :

* It is returned to us, at purchasers expense including funds for return shipment.
* Item is accompanied by a letter explaining the defect.
* Item was professionally installed. (Installation receipt may be required.)
* Item shows no sign of abuse.
* The purchaser has had the item "Bench Tested" prior to installation, to discover any factory defect. (Bench Test receipt may be required.)
* The return is in the original box with all packaging material, manuals, warranty cards and everything else that came with it.
* Purchaser must email us to receive the Authorization for Return and state the Invoice number, the make and model of the item and the defect.
* Purchaser is responsible for shipping and proof of delivery on all returns.
* Please allow 14 business days for your return to be processed.
* In the event of a model year change we reserve the right to substitute a comparable model
* Once the return is processed we will replace/repair it and ship it back to the Purchaser at their expense. Sorry, No Refunds for any reason."

So now you have to have it "Bench Tested" prior to having it "Professionally Installed" just to get the measly warranty he is offering. How many hoops do you have to jump through??? And this is just a DOA warranty, if something happens down the road, then what???

BTW - This warranty was taken directly from an eBay seller's page. I did a search for SPS-171A on eBay and looked at the entire page of listings. Only three sellers even mentioned any kind warranty. One of them was listed as a "90 days repair warranty" with no other details and the other was listed as a "1 yr warranty through us" with no other details. My point is that most eBay sellers do NOT offer any kind of warranty!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think unless you plan on upgrading amps in the future I would spend another 100 dollars and get the alpine 5 channel amp.. That way your mids and highs will be amped as well. Actually just the factory speakers with a little amp power is a huge improvement for the money spent.... (Definately not as good as the Alpine speakers amped....but much better than without.)

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
I have the SPS-171A in my tC, along with some decent Infinity speakers in back, running on a 4-channel Alpine amp. The difference in sound quality (after adding a quality aftermarket head unit) is astounding. My setup (including Alpine Type-S sub and used MTX amp for the sub) cost me around $1,000 total, but I am still very pleased with it almost 6 months after having it all installed...I would say it is well worth it if you enjoy rich, clear sound.

·
Registered
444 Posts
ya just dont buy that stuff from crutchfield=RIPOFF, find it for cheap all over the internet

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
To those of you who think that everyone should buy their stuff from eBay because it's all the same stuff -- it may not be. eBay sellers may be selling used, open-box, damaged, or so-called "gray-market" goods. Even if one of them does offer a "warranty," good luck finding him 6 months later to try to collect on it. If you want to take the risk, be my guest, but don't delude yourself into thinking that you're certainly buying the same thing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Jul 20 2005, 10:19 AM
To those of you who think that everyone should buy their stuff from eBay because it's all the same stuff -- it may not be. eBay sellers may be selling used, open-box, damaged, or so-called "gray-market" goods. Even if one of them does offer a "warranty," good luck finding him 6 months later to try to collect on it. If you want to take the risk, be my guest, but don't delude yourself into thinking that you're certainly buying the same thing.
you can add refurbished products to that list as well. That is a well known fact that a lot of the "cheaper" product available on eBay is refurbished.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Originally posted by paintball369@Jul 20 2005, 10:22 AM
ya just dont buy that stuff from crutchfield=RIPOFF, find it for cheap all over the internet
Didn't I just write a couple of novels about this subject on the previous page??? Some people just don't read...

BTW - Alpine does NOT sell any refurbished equipment in the US. If you buy a refurbished model, it most likely came from Mexico and was transhipped to the US...and there is no factory warranty on refurbished models sold in the US either!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.