Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and took a 350z along for the ride. we were on the highway and he for some reason wanted to #### with me. well i was in 5th gear. i heard him drop a gear and rev at me. well a kinda grinned at myself, and decide3d to play (which i normally dont) well as soon as i droped into 4th, he gunned it. i got on it and he was like a dog that didnt want to be walked. he just hung back further and further. well i got off at the next exit and so did he. he pulled up next to me and said " damn i didnt think those skions (lol i laughed when he said that) were fast" and i said well, mine is special. then the light truned green and he peeled out and went up the road. just thought i should share my exp. in the race forum, cause ill probably never post here again, unless i go to the track.
josh

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is my daily driver, but it is boosted. i just havent gone too nuts with it. had it dyno'd at modern garage this past summer puttin out 330WHP and 300LBS TQ at the wheels was about 350 at the crank. but yes it is my daily driver. my 300ZX is basically a daily driver as well, but its built to turn up the boost, and im shooting for 600+HP right now (its in my garage ripped apart). currently, im running 12 psi on my TC. but i do have semi built internals. pistons, rings rods, etc. havent messed with the crank yet. stock crank pulley. no need for the "M4d Vt4k" unorthidox pulley yet
*edit* check profile for mods

·
Registered
248 Posts
Man, I wish I knew more about engines and building them the smart way. I'd have to hire someone to do that kind work. Wish I could do it all myself but I'm only a CNC technician going to school to be an engineer. I don't have the slightest clue about who to fix an engine or tune it, just know the parts and specs. Did you do it all yourself as your post hints at? Would you recommend a person like me stay away from these kinds of mods if I can't personally do them myself?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes i work on my car my self. its ALOT cheaper that way. invest in manuals. the $80-$90 now, is a fraction of the amount you will spend in the long run if you take it to a dealership. everything usually comes with instructions (unless you do a custom kit) and there very easy to follow. i believe that most mechanic instructions are written in 8th grade english. so its very easy. even our manuals at my unit (helicopter mechanic in the army) are very easy to read with pictures to guide you. however i would suggest you have someone who knows what their doing to assist you, but make sure YOU do most of the work so you can learn how things work and what the parts are.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
There's still a lot that isn't in the books, and there are things that just don't make sense (like dropping the front subframe just to pull the gearbox). Agreed, you must have the books, and if you want to really mod the car, you need more than just one of the books. Vol 1, Vol 2, and the New Car Features book are essential to understanding the car and how it works.

I'd start there. Then call in someone who's got a decent sized pile of bent and twisted parts to help you understand what NOT to do.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So how reliable do you think your setup will be? You know, with it being an everyday driver and all. Not that it would be the biggest problem for you to just fix it your self. Me, I've been back and forth on the TRD S/C just because a lot of R&D has gone into the design just for the Tc. Power numbers may be weak in comparison but this is also just my every day driver. I'm not to worried about 40hp stressing out anything unless I would be the type to beat my car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my whole point about the S/C sucking is the price. its WAAAAAAY overpriced. any setup is fairly reliable IF ITS TUNED RIGHT. my integra Type-R, was boosted for almost 100K miles (had 145k on the odo) and it stil had the same C/R when i sold it as it did when i boosted it. its all about tuning. tuning, tuning, tuning. this is where ALOT of people go wring. they want to be cheap about it and get the most power for the cheapest price, but you know what they say "do you want cheap or reliable? you cant have both". so for a really awesome turbo set up, you probably will pay more than the S/C, BUT it will be faster, more HP, more TQ same reliability, with less effort. for example the S/C puts out 7 PSI i believe. the ZPI stage 0 kit puts out 6PSI. the S/c numbers are aroung 195WHP and 199 LBS/TQ, while the Zpi kit is.... well here a pic to show you:

but like i said just get it tuned.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You don't get it, JDangle. The Turbo IS NOT AN OPTION for most of us. My car would be impounded the first time a cop pulled me over. Is paying an extra $1k worth not having your car taken away forever? Yeah, I think it is.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i guess your in cali. well when i move to cali, i am going to keep my registration in PA so they cant do anything about my car. if tis legal in one stare and its registered in that state, theres nothing they can do. just like when guys from AZ came to PA with 5% tint all the way around, but their car was still registered in AZ, PA couldnt touch them. but you right, turbo isnt a option to some. i just know if it was me, id get it registered in NV, or AZ

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Originally posted by JDangle@Feb 2 2006, 12:52 PM
i guess your in cali. well when i move to cali, i am going to keep my registration in PA so they cant do anything about my car. if tis legal in one stare and its registered in that state, theres nothing they can do. just like when guys from AZ came to PA with 5% tint all the way around, but their car was still registered in AZ, PA couldnt touch them. but you right, turbo isnt a option to some. i just know if it was me, id get it registered in NV, or AZ
That's completely false, and you're going to learn the hard way. My friend's dad is a CHP officer and he says it doesn't matter where your car is registered. If you're driving on CA roads your car needs to be CA legal.

Also, how do you plan to insure a car in CA that's registered in PA?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it only has to be insured, it doesnt matter what state its insured in. if what you are saying is true, then why didnt my car get impounded when i was driving back from san jose and i got pulled over in sacramento for doing 97 in a 65 on I-880? mines turbo charged. trust me dude. i have been living in utah for almost 3 yrs with a PA registered car. its insured through progressive (which i got in utah). dont tell me i KNOW. i have been doing it. my 300 ZX was registered in utah cause i bought it here, but i sent away regisration forms to PA, and got my plate and my sticker sent here. i just got my TC re-registered in PA and they sent ym sticker here in utah.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.