Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So baisically, the car is heavy. What can i take off to make it lighter? the back seats are light as hell. i thought about taking out the spare tire and all that, anything else i can do?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
errr.....I hope the 300-400 pounds you could gain are helpful to you. The largest weight savers are going to be to either remove all excess interior or start removing things like the AC system(that will lose plenty). A great way if you want to lose weight is to get rid of that 100 lbs of stereo equipment you have.

·
Registered
109 Posts
seriously, 300 to 400 pounds wont matter when you dont have AC and you dont have anything to listen to.. the car is good the way it is, get lighter wheels maybe? just dont do steelies.. too many people are civic'ing out their scions...

what ever happend to casual..

get an INJEN intake or something if you want more HP, get a ground wire kit just to reduce the static in your car (better throttle response). Get full synthetic oil. Get a turbo. Get the supercharger.

But dont go ripping out the seats and trunk.. that'll make me cry..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lmao, i already got rid of the subs, i already have the injen intake, along with other stuff. i also arleady have full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
109 Posts
and you know what, if you want to rip out your back seats and take out your AC, go ahead and ####ing do it!!!

see if I give a ####..

im just saying its WAY RICE, and its WAY disgusting.. I dont think a car with ripped up back seats would be, "AWESOME!"

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I don't think a ground wire replacement will do anything at all except add weight. It fixes a problem that doesn't exist. All the claims about improved throttle response are pure placebo effect.

If you really want to reduce weight, talk to Rick (raamaudio) about the things he's done to his car. Unless you have an unlimited budget to replicate the tC's chassis in carbon fiber, there aren't a lot of things you can do that are easy to remove weight.

BTW, are you at <10% bodyfat? That's the cheapest and easiest weight reduction you can do.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 16 2005, 09:20 AM
I don't think a ground wire replacement will do anything at all except add weight. It fixes a problem that doesn't exist. All the claims about improved throttle response are pure placebo effect.
probabaly very true.. hearing many people say it reduces the idle..

but I would like to believe it probably reduces the static on the left and right body, making your speakers sound better...

so far people on SL say that it helped.. but I do not have personal experience..

but the homemade grond wire kits, I dont think weigh that much...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Ground kits are worthless in our car. If you want to make this a race car there are many ways to reduce weight, if its a daily driver there isn't much. If you are a racer, plexiglass on all the windows, remove the power windows/locks. Cut away all excess wire. Shrink the fuel tank, remove all padding/fabric in the car.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Ask Engifineer what he thinks about grounding kits. He's got a Master's degree in electronic engineering. If there were something to be gained, he'd be saying why.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 16 2005, 09:45 AM
Ask Engifineer what he thinks about grounding kits. He's got a Master's degree in electronic engineering. If there were something to be gained, he'd be saying why.
oh no worries lo_bux, your the number one guy I trust on here actually..

I wonder if he is looking to race totally. I doubt it, im assuming anyone who bought this car is pretty much a daily driver with a good taste in car style..

But I just hate those civic ricers who pull up at any wendy's with no back seats and eww...

I dont want to admit that the scion tc is the new honda civic....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here is what I've done so far:
Got rid of spare tire.
Replaced stock battery with "Odyssey"
My sub has no wooden box.
It's about 60 Lbs.
Been thinking about carbon fiber hood and trunk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok first, i havent ripped out my back seats so keep it down. the seats are extreemly light anyways. as far as racing or daily drive, im going with daily drive. lo_bux, can you recommend and brands for lightweight rims/tires? about how much would i be looking at?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Seriously, send a PM to raamaudio. He's the weight master for the tC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took out my back seats and spare tire stuff out last summer to see if it would help, (The back seats weight about 55 pounds and the spare and jack weight about 30 pounds.) I felt a lot faster the only thing was since all the weight was taken off the rear, at high speeds when I would hit the breaks the rear end felt like it wanted to get away from me. I put my back seats and my spare tire back in and decided to take weight off the front end scene the car has a weight proportion of 60/40 and try to get a more even distribution of weight.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.