Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just installed the weapon R engine damper, but I'm hearing this weird engine clunking like noise coming from the engine(at first it sounded like a diesel engine :nails:), now I don't think this is normal. I tried adjusting the lenght of the damper(I made it longer, meaning the engine tilted forward) and the noise got softer, but it's still there and I can hear it. Does anybody else had or have this problem or is your's making this noise as well, but decided to ignore? thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jul 4 2005, 05:23 AM
I would wonder if the mouting points are loose and the damper is actually moving slightly when it is locked into position. Pics of the install might uncover something, please post
I'll post pics soon and trust me the I tighten everything as hard as I could. I think I'm going to modify the brackets for a snuggler fit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, here's what I did, the extra engine noise is still there, but its only noticeable when all of the windows are closed and I have to say, the posites do out weight the negatives.
Here's a pic of what I did:

I had to move the bracket(A) a bit to the left, cause it was resting on my carbon fiber engine cover and was starting to rub on it(B ). Then I added some washers underneath where bracket (D) is so it would raise up a bit, cause since I moved bracket (A) over, it was rubbing on the air condition hose. I added some washers at this end (C ) so it would lower down a bit, I had to use a longer bolt screw, cause the supplied one was too short when I added the extra washers. Finally, the bracket that connects to the engine mount (A), I added two washers on each side, so that way it would raise up a bit as well. It's alot of work and I'm not sure if I improved it or not, but I'm more satisfied with the way everything fits and sits.

Here's another pic:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Looks like you're making contact in a couple of different spots. What a chintzy bracket! For the kind of money they charge for that setup, it ought to fit like a glove and look like it grew there. If I had shelled out the dough for that, I'd have sent it back the moment I saw the brackets.
Just my opinion and please don't take that as a shot at you. You just bought the thing. They should be embarrased. I wonder if the Honda ones fit that bad?

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Agreed. No support in the vertical plane at all. It's really bad to assume there will be no vertical movement when the damper is mounted with a ball rod end. Another spooky thing is the proximity to the a/c hard line. The aluminum they use for a/c lines is about as tough as 2024 T0. You can bend it with your fingers. You can also cut through it with a very slight chaffing from a moving part. Be sure you have PLENTY of clearance for that line or you'll be spending a LOT of money to replace it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.