Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"While the design of the tC is not exactly exciting—it offers up hints of a variety of different makes—it makes up in features what it loses in blandness." --carxcessory.com

"At the curb, the 2005 Scion tC has an I've-seen-this-before appearance. But what is it? It looks part Audi, part Hyundai, part Toyota. There is not one thing that seems unique about this all-new tC model." --cars.about.com

"The somewhat bland overall look is meant to be "a blank canvas" for young hot-rodders and customizers." --jbcarpages.com

"Make no mistake: the Scion tC drives richly, competently, and provides some entertainment. But only some. If the tC were a Toyota, its name would be "Celicamry." The average driver will find a lot to like, but tuner kids looking for new rides to pimp won't be tossing their VTEC rockets in the junkyard for this." --automotive.com

"It is an entry-level economy car after all so we shouldn’t be too critical of materials that look a bit cheap. Most notable is the covering on the dash that reminds me of the floor rubber on a ’58 dodge farm pickup. It effectively resists glare but adds nothing to the ambiance of the little coupe." --theautochannel.com

Though I'm happy to say not everyone agrees-- clearly, we like the look, USA Today and Edmunds had some nice things to say, going beyond the "competent" badge that most reviewers are all-too-happy to apply. Heck, theautochannel.com can't even make up it's mind; you see the review above, this is on their "road test" section of the site:

" Style sells coupes, and the tC should be a winner, with pleasing, very European-looking, styling. Although a well-known Italian design studio was consulted during the early stages of development, the final result is completely Scion's."

So I don't know who to believe.
But for the most part, the typical review is the same: bland on the outside, too heavy, peppy motor, cramped interior (what?)... but it's a bargain. Were we all test driving the same cars they were? I mean, the tC may not be perfect, but it is a helluva bargain (at least they consitently get that part right). I don't notice the weight that much, and this is coming from a guy whose last car weighed 2200lbs. The backseat is not as cramped as reviews would have you beleive (as I'm sure you all know)-- it has more leg and footroom than my wife's Corolla.

So I guess what got me started on this was my weekly perusal of RottenTomotoes.com (the movie site). The site collects reviews from all over the place, and puts snippets of them on a review page; if 60% of the reviews are positive, the movie is considered "fresh". Less than 60% is "rotten". What you'll find there falls into three categories: screamingly positive, overwhelmingly negative, and very rarely-- something that falls in the middle. Mixed reviews are a rare animal.

Reviews (or I should say reviewers) seem to be content to follow the pack. The consensus doesn't seem to be formed through agreement so much as acquiesence. If big-time Reviewer A thinks the exterior is vanilla, then by god, it's vanilla to everyone else. And that makes me sad. I had to go through my collegiate years in the English program with future journalists-- and mind you, auto reviewers tend to be car people first, and writers second-- and I was scared for the future of journalism then, too.

I try to find the root of the disparity. If my car is as bland as virtually all of the critics would have me beleive, then why do people comment with "nice car" or a daily basis-- literally, perhaps at least once a day. Are they as out of touch as I must be? Or does Reviewer A have to find flaw with everything? Of course, I've read singing reviews of the Mazda 3 Whose styling I found delightfully uninspired, and whose interior was Ford-esque.

Well, that ran on long enough, I think. I generally known for my concision-- to any amoung you who actually read to this point-- I'll try to fault toward the side of brevity in the future.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Nice collection of clips. They are right, it doesn't look like a lot of other cars, but then again, waht today doesn't. I rather enjoy the Euro styling with the ample motor. Yah, it may be a little heavy, but ill take that in the name of comfort and safety. All in all, no matter what they say, im very happy with my purchase and it gets great comments and stares each and every day!

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
i pay as much attention to auto styling reviews as i do to movie reviews. like i said before, someone actually wrote good reviews about titanic. doesnt mean it was good. and when someone wrote that sin city was terrible because of the way it was filmed, it is exactly what drew me to the movie. the people scion markets toward are the 5% who set the trends, not the 95% who follow behind once something is deemed cool enough. it makes sense that reviewers dont like it, i suppose.
in the same way that it didnt use to be cool to shave your head and have ink and listen to punk when i was in high school. ( i know, youngsters, hard to believe, huh?) we were the ones who suffered the ridicule and scrapped after school with the jocks in order for that image to be acceptable and finally, dare i say it, trendy. now i get called a poser again by 17 year old kids who couldnt recite a single playlist from a decendents album, but have a new shiny DK shirt and 200 doc martens. never mind that they get danzig and rollins mixed up when discussing the misfits. the same thing is going to happen with the tC. those of us who were on the cutting edge of the next big thing will be ridiculed when what seperates us from the masses becomes the common place. and reviewers will come out with better things to say, because thats what will be cool then. in the meantime, we just keep keeping on, looking for the next thing that will get us ridiculed by the people who supposedly know whats up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Jul 28 2005, 10:07 AM
i pay as much attention to auto styling reviews as i do to movie reviews. like i said before, someone actually wrote good reviews about titanic. doesnt mean it was good. and when someone wrote that sin city was terrible because of the way it was filmed, it is exactly what drew me to the movie. the people scion markets toward are the 5% who set the trends, not the 95% who follow behind once something is deemed cool enough. it makes sense that reviewers dont like it, i suppose.
in the same way that it didnt use to be cool to shave your head and have ink and listen to punk when i was in high school. ( i know, youngsters, hard to believe, huh?) we were the ones who suffered the ridicule and scrapped after school with the jocks in order for that image to be acceptable and finally, dare i say it, trendy. now i get called a poser again by 17 year old kids who couldnt recite a single playlist from a decendents album, but have a new shiny DK shirt and 200 doc martens. never mind that they get danzig and rollins mixed up when discussing the misfits. the same thing is going to happen with the tC. those of us who were on the cutting edge of the next big thing will be ridiculed when what seperates us from the masses becomes the common place. and reviewers will come out with better things to say, because thats what will be cool then. in the meantime, we just keep keeping on, looking for the next thing that will get us ridiculed by the people who supposedly know whats up.
Hey man, get out of my brain!!!

I couldn't agree more.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
That's funny stuff. I've never bought a vehicle because someone else thought it was a good car. I look at all the numbers and decide if it will fit me. Not some talking head somewhere telling me I NEED it. I hate that crap.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
^ Same here. When I see stuff like "The average driver will find a lot to like, but tuner kids looking for new rides to pimp won't be tossing their VTEC rockets in the junkyard for this." I realize that whoever wrote that comment is most likely full of sh!t. Thats quite possibly the most cliche statement that anyone can make, no matter the age and race of the person. MTV has killed whatever novelty that phrase had and to me that's just a desparate attempt at "keepin it real" and "being down with the home crowd." VTEC rockets? Most of the "pimped out rides" that I see are generally as far away from rockets as you can get. Do rockets have peeling apply-it-yourself tints or primered and cracked body kits that look like they're gonna fall off? The only thing in common that I see is the huge ass wings that dumbasses put on FWD cars. STUPID STUPID STUPID!

I personally consider Car and Driver to be the gold standard in auto journalism and dare I say it: their articles are edgy. They supply a certain amount of attitude while maintaining objectivity, a balance that is mostly forgotten by many other publications, online and print.

Enough rant. Back to work.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jul 28 2005, 04:07 PM
That's funny stuff. I've never bought a vehicle because someone else thought it was a good car. I look at all the numbers and decide if it will fit me. Not some talking head somewhere telling me I NEED it. I hate that crap.
Hey! I love the Talking Heads! But yeah, I agree with ya on that one.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
I bought the tC 'cause I was looking for a sporty coupe, and the tC was the best-looking one out there and the only one made by Toyota. It's that simple.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
True dat!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Preach on bro, I had a much larger budget to buy a can and I just couldn't get enough of the tC. It is a great automobile. I almost bought a Sti but I couldn't. It's interior is stuck in 94, plus it's alot of gas and I like taking trips. It's a nice cornering machine and It is damn fast but I am getting to that point where I want more from a car than power. Like quality and rrefinement, but I still love them backroad weekends. The tC is bad Ass, There I said it

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
somehow i dont fully understand how people who simply have degrees in journalism, and writing skills are somehow granted a gift from god to make a qualified opinion on anything having to do with cars, sports, or anything for that matter. their job is to report the alleged facts, not fill the world with their poorly qualified opinions. unless they have a background in art history and are familiar with the avant garde then to hell with em. same reason i dont look to sports journalist for their opinions. they most likely were too busy taking yearbook photos to actually play the sport. memo to journalists, stop writing opinions about ANYTHING, its your opinion and no one gives a crap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Jul 28 2005, 10:07 AM
AMEN to that

·
Registered
11,890 Posts
My favorite quote... "a person is smart... people are stupid". How many cars had a good aftermarket available within the first year of production? Not many, and I don't mean just a upgraded model (i.e. MKIII to MKIV Supra, WRX's, or Evos). Those cars had YEARS to get a aftermarket, and yet we have probably one of the fastest growing aftermarkets for any car.

Personally, I love being a pioneer and not a follower. In a few years when people realize the true potential of this car and it isn't available brand-new... they will see that a lot can be done. The car is no supra by any means, but I'll be more than happy to pass by those "VTEC rockets" with the good ol' american greeting.... the middle finger

I love my car and won't trade it for the world, all the nay-sayers can suck it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am honored to be associated with such and enlightened and passionate group of fellow tC'ers.

Our car has a few mods, nothing radical as being built for stealthy but very high performance, but, we sure get alot of stares, everywhere we go.

I guy in a really clean and fairly highly moded black EVO really checked us out today. I just smiled and waved and thought, one day not to far from now I am going to hand you your arse;) It will happen, power to weight ratio, do it in the realm his heavy AWD is a hinderance not an asset. I will play my game but let him think it is is own, lol!

Of course he could have some major power mods, I am sure he has a few at least minor ones but I could see spoiled rich kid all over his face and usually they are the easiest to teach a lesson to, I doubt he has serious power, not need, not in hillbilly central, lol!

Rick

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.