Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i get my tc in about a week and someone told me that i should wait 6 months to wax the car so i can make sure the paint has dryed properly and i shouldn't wash my car with soap for the first couple weeks just hot water?

what do you guys think?

i will have a flint mica 06 tc so it will be fairly new paint and i want to preserve the original shine. do you guys have any recommendations as of what kind of product i should use. i dont care how much it cost i just want quality and i want my paint to be protected!

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I haven't heard anything about NOT waxing the car for 6 months. I waxed mine as soon as I got my Zaino.

Which segues nicely to a few things. First, there is a forum specifically for these types of questions. Secondly, regarding what products to use...Search (and Zaino) is your friend.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i searched before i made it and i didn't find much

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is zaino and where do i buy it?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Using just hot water provides no lubrication for the wash mitt you're using. This introduces micro-scratches. Get enough fine scratches and that shiny new car wont be shiny anymore. I would call the dealer and tell them NOT to detail the car when they get it. They tend to use pretty abrasive mitts and sponges when they wash their cars. Or worse yet, mine used a car wash they have onsite.

You should always use soap. Follow the directions on the back of the bottle.

I would suggest reading up on the forums at autopia.org: http://autopia.org/forums/

This will give you good product information and howto's to keep your car nice and shiny as well as protected.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when did you guys first wax your car and how does it look now?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I dunno. But my friend is a prof detailer and rep for Zymol. He only details high end cars (we're talking Porsches mostly, but also Lambs, Ferrrari's, etc). He said to do a complete detail (wash, clay, cleaner wax, prep wax, protectant wax, etc) on the car as soon as you can, so you give it the proper "nutrients". Instead of letting it accumulate "bad stuff".

Yes, those quoted words are my own, I can't think of the exact words he used.

That's what I was told, and that's what he did for me. So far, so good. And my car sits outside. Granted, 80% of the time it looks like crap because there's a TON of construction going on at my work, but once I wash it and touch it up with quick detail spray wax, it looks as good as new

·
Registered
999 Posts
Use sheepskin mits. It's better to use than microfiber when washing a car. Go to Walmart and look for a big bin with them lying around. Don't just pick any, look for one that feels good to you.

It's a bargain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No wax for 6 months???? Wax doesn't hurt the clear coat and I only take a day for fresh clear coat to harden. I wax mine the first day I got it. McGuire's High Tech wax works real good. Shining Monkey tire shine work really good too. Last for a long time and it doesn't spray tire shine all over your nice shiny ride after you've wash it. I used to hate dat sh!t.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how often do you guys wash your car? i just got mine its only 1 month old paint, going on two

and i wash my car twice a week to keep the dirt and grime off it

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Well I live in Florida so the weather is kind of weird here (to me it is). I try to wash it every week/two weeks depending on if my car is that dirty but I have never waited over two weeks to wash my car. I wax it everytime I wash it also. I use a sheepskin mitt to wash the car (hopefully I get the Mr. Clean Autodry thingy soon) and I use to use Turtle Wax but now I use Meguiars Gold Class Wax. I really wish I had Zaino though, that's going to be the next thing I buy, I couldnt buy it the first time cause I'm a poor college student. Oh and to dry the car I use microfiber towels and the California Water Blade (this thing rocks). For my tires I use Meguiars High Gloss Hot Shine Tire Spray and for my wheels I use Eagle One Original Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish (makes the wheels look VERY shiny). /end rant

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.