Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all this talk about Red line products got me to check out their website redlineoil.com. They have a product called water wetter. According to the site, it reduces surface tension of water, allowing it to cool your engine more efficiently. I want to know everyone's opinion on this stuff.

· Registered
590 Posts
a friend of mine runs it in his e36 m3 that has had a fan delete mod done to it and has never even come close to overheating. that should say something for the stuff.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
I've been using it since the 80's when it was a powder you had to dissolve with hot water. Now it comes in a bottle. They make a lot of claims. No one has either proved or disproved them, but it does a good job as an anti-corrosive when you run a less than 50/50 coolant mix (as I do in my Supra) because more water means more heat capacity.

I wouldn't even try it in my tC. The coolant they put in there isn't supposed to be changed for 120,000 miles. I wouldn't want to change that mix unless I decided to completely abandon the factory set up and run lots of boost or something to that effect.

There's also propylene glycol coolant called NPG or NPG+ by Evans Cooling. Evans himself is an interesting guy, and has done a lot of impressive cooling system design work. His site is worth a read.

Last but not least, check out Stewart Components tech tips. This article will answer a lot of common misconceptions about cooling systems and raises one of my favorite rice issues: braided metal covers on coolant hoses. According to Stewart, braided metal cooling lines only retain heat and raise metal temperatures, always a BAD thing. Pretty does not always equal good.

· Registered
4,234 Posts
Not recommended. We run it in the race cars because of the good old no-coolant rule, and it certainly works-- but until you've done something to get that 2.4 producing a great deal more heat, you've no need of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.