Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Define burn....

It could be something as simple as noisy cables, or that the box isn't sealed correctly. Also a distinct possibility is that the gain is set incorrectly. Any of these things are bad, and combined with eachother could cause woofers to blow over and over. If you are having too much trouble just take the woofer back to the shop where you got it, it should be under warranty.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Burn could mean a lot of things, that is why i asked

Well here is my best guess from what you have told me:
Unless your ported box is perfect you need to not run max power to the speakers or they will go beyond their limits easily. Sealed boxes can handle a lot more power than a ported box, especially a boomy bass ported box.
There is no need for the subs not to be in seperate chambers. My best guess is that you are pushing the voice coil beyond the limits of its suspension because
A) there is too much power
B) there is not enough pressure in the box(ie the port or box are too big)
C) A combo of A and B

Edit: Many subwoofers have bump stops, but the voice coil still does have a limit and if the box is forcing the voice coil to hit that limit a lot it will eventually burn up. That is my best guess to what is happening.

Hope this makes sense

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.