Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend's father works for CHP and he had some alarming news for us a few days ago. The CHP has started a new program called "FEAR" where they intend to pull over every single modified car. He was told specifically to look for cars with anyhting that isn't stock (wheels, exhaust, carbon fiber hood, spoiler, etc) and find ANY reason to pull them over. Once they have been pulled over the CHP officer is allowed to look under the hood and write a ticket for anyhting that is modified. If the car is pulled over a second time and the modified parts haven't been removed the car will be towed and dissasembled.

Thank you, street racers, for ruining a hobby.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
What happened to the Fourth Amendment? I guess we're about to have a Constitutional battle in CA again. I can't wait to get pulled over for aftermarket wheels and suspension and NOT A SINGLE ENGINE MOD THEY CAN SEE! Can you say harrassment lawsuit? This will be FUN!

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i wanna play with the CHP on this one. hey lance, you wanna go cruise around one night and see if we can get unjustly pulled over and be asked to pop the hood?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 1 2005, 11:54 AM
What happened to the Fourth Amendment? I guess we're about to have a Constitutional battle in CA again. I can't wait to get pulled over for aftermarket wheels and suspension and NOT A SINGLE ENGINE MOD THEY CAN SEE! Can you say harrassment lawsuit? This will be FUN!
They can't pull you over for wheels or suspension. They'd have to find another reason to pull you over. The thing is, once they see those wheels or suspension they WILL find a reason to pull you over.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
an aftermarket exhaust is all they need to use to justify a stop and check, good thing mine isnt loud.

eric! - watch out!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Zygote55@Sep 1 2005, 12:24 PM
They can't pull you over for wheels or suspension. They'd have to find another reason to pull you over. The thing is, once they see those wheels or suspension they WILL find a reason to pull you over.
So this is straight out profiling? They can't pull me over if I don't violate the law can they? Find something? Are they going to bash in a taillight or something? There is NOTHING illegal on my car (even the tint is legal), but it meets their "profile" of a modified car, so they plan to "find something" to harrass me about? Like I said, strike one, they waste my time, strike two, they're put on notice, strike three, they're giving me the taxpayer's money to settle a harrassment suit.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
" So this is straight out profiling?"

Yes. It is. The CHP officer who told me this had no problem admitting to it... it's actually amazing the stuff they do and get away with. Now, MOST CHP officers aren't going to pull you over for some aftermarket wheels; they're really juts looking for the civics with obviously illegal performance mods. But they are looking to pull over as many people as possible and hope "FEAR" will stop the car modding scene.

I asked him straight up why they don't just put ONE CHP on sunrise after 9pm and he said, "I don't know."

·
Registered
68 Posts
Look out! My cousin is a CHP...they now have the ability to catch you on the radar even before you pass them up. So just because you see a CHP on the side of the highway and you slow down before you pass him...doesnt mean he hasn't clocked your speed already.

*TIP
- If you know or have a family member who is a CHP...they have stickers that you can put on your Drivers License so that if another CHP were to pull you over and look at your DL and see the sticker they would know that you know a CHP and have the choice to give you a ticket or not....cause now they know that you can get it written off by the CHP you know. I got pulled over once and when he looked at my DL and saw the sticker...he just gave me a warning. =)

·
Registered
542 Posts
makes me glad i don't live in ca. sounds like they have too many stupid traffic laws. (we don't even have smog checks around here!)

·
Registered
346 Posts
that's BS. good thing i'm going sleeper on my car. only thing i'm doing is a tint, trd lowering, and smoked tails. no body mods at all, and not slammed.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
you guys would be amazed at whats even street legal here in kansas, they don't care at all, if it can be ran by moving your feet it can be liscensed, we have civics and celicas with ungodly mods and the poes don't care one bit as long as you aren't doing crack...

but our highway patrol on the other hand they are viscious

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by CraniumDesigns@Sep 1 2005, 05:06 PM
that's BS. good thing i'm going sleeper on my car. only thing i'm doing is a tint, trd lowering, and smoked tails. no body mods at all, and not slammed.
You can still get pulled over for illegal tint (ANY tint on the front windows).

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.