Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I was looking at this website where I have a 50 dollar gift certificate. (long story) And I was talking to this customer service guy and he suggested a universal voltage stabilizer. I read about it and it all sounds good on paper, but does anyone here have any experience with this contraption??
I wouldn't want to put anything on my car that I'm unsure about. I thought maybe lo bux, you would have something to say about this since you seem to know a lot about nearly everything
Heres the website:

Volatge Thinga-ma-bob

If not this thing I was also thinking about getting ground wires, or TEIN S.TECH Lowering Springs and selling them to someone who wants them for a discounted price. (I have no need for them cuz I have TRD springs already on the way.)

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by krdshrk@Jan 12 2006, 12:17 PM
Use the $50 to get the Fog lights & grille:

http://www.k2motor.com/hgtc04bh.html
Haha those are already ordered from them. The whole reason I have the 50 dollar gift certificate is cuz they screwed up the fog light order, they sent me XB fog lights.............TWICE.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
LOL. Ok. Go for a shift knob and other small accessories then

Let me know how those fog lights are. If it's that cheap I might get them from the same site.... and hope they mess up the order so i can get more free stuff

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The voltage thing is crap. Ground wires are crap. Find something else you like, but steer clear of anything that says it improves idle, improves fuel economy, makes starting easier, etc. They are generally crap and a waste of money.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 13 2006, 12:23 PM
The voltage thing is crap. Ground wires are crap. Find something else you like, but steer clear of anything that says it improves idle, improves fuel economy, makes starting easier, etc. They are generally crap and a waste of money.
Ground Wires arent crape. My friend just installed HKS Ground wires and it raised his voltage .8 he was at 13, now at 13.8, a noticable difference in the idle and system. The system he has sounds louder and the car is idleing better considering the fact that he has headers and exhaust on it + a CAI.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by 06TCDriv3r@Feb 10 2006, 08:25 PM
the car is idleing better considering the fact that he has headers and exhaust on it + a CAI.
what does I/H/E have to do with him idling better from a voltage stab?
after tearing into eric's civic last weekend, we discovered perhaps why honda cars can benefit from a ground kit. ours? no. you simply cannot expect current flow to increase because you increased the wire size.
think water. if i increase the pipe size, and cram the same amount of water through it, have i done anything besides adding weight from the increased diameter of the piping? is the water flowing more effeciently? no.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Toyota has figured out electrical systems to the point that we can all save our money for other things:)

BUT, if you do a major upgrade to the audio system then there is some merit in upgrading some of the wiring but not all of it. I have 2 gauge wire running to the back of the car for the amps, 2 guage because it is the smallest gauge that would handle the current over that distance that the amps could draw. Even then it was a bit of overkill but for competing in car audio they have guidelines in the rules I have to go by. Since doing so though I have moved the battery to the rear and now have the proper gauge to support that as well so glad I used the 2 gauge when I did.

If you run a big wire to the back of the car, use the same size from the battery to the chassis(can be as short as a foot or two depending on the car and in actuallity can be of smaller gauge but you will have some left over anyway so just use it so the judges do not whine if you compete in audio;)

Then I like to run at least 4 gauge to the alternator and from the engine block to ground.

That is it, called the big three, it is for audio system(or rear mounted battery or both)

Since I spent 20 years in electronics as a tech in the Military( as did somebody else here) and before that was a union Electrician and before that I was winding my own slot car motors(bad arse ones) at age 10, I think I may know a bit about the subject;)

On my last project car I looked things over and made up an 8 gauge(far more than big enough) ground system just to see if I could find any merit to this new found source of "power".

The answer? Nope!

Rick

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Feb 11 2006, 10:58 AM
what does I/H/E have to do with him idling better from a voltage stab?
after tearing into eric's civic last weekend, we discovered perhaps why honda cars can benefit from a ground kit. ours? no. you simply cannot expect current flow to increase because you increased the wire size.
think water. if i increase the pipe size, and cram the same amount of water through it, have i done anything besides adding weight from the increased diameter of the piping? is the water flowing more effeciently? no.
You may want to open the book on fluid dynamics again.

That said, the flow of electrons is something different, and I agree that it does not help to increase the dia. of the wiring.

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.